Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 1 2013, 12:22 PM   #31
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: You know what would've made "Yesterday's Enterprise" better than i

I have a pet theory when it comes to things like this or the Mirror Universe. Given the infinite possibilities when it comes to parallel universes and alternate timelines, the "barriers" that separate these realities are weakest where there are strong points of coincidence...such as the same ship with mostly the same crew being in exactly the same place. In "Mirror, Mirror", the "ion storm" that caused the weakening of the interdimensonal barriers may have itself been caused by the extreme coincidence of such similar crews being in the same place performing parallel missions.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 04:19 PM   #32
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ Interesting theory! I guess something along the lines like "opposites attract" or "+" attracts "-"?

@ Arpy

I concur with your observations. Looks like fate or the cosmic consciousness showed its hand here (in Hollywood usually worshipped as "the screenplay").

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 07:15 PM   #33
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Well, there IS that one line of dialogue at the end:

"Federation ship Enterprise: surrender and prepare to be boarded."

Spoken by a Klingon on one of the two remaining ships. I always thought it would be cool if just the VOICE would have been Worf; however I agree that the story flow would have been interrupted by everyone going "Hey, that's WORF!" where they ought to be immersed in the plight of the about-to-be destroyed Enterprise-D.

What *I* would have liked is that JUST before the shot of the E-C entering the rift, that last shot of the BoPs blasting away would result in the E-D exploding - LaForge had announced a warp core breach about that long beforehand, and I'd have liked to see that happen.

In my fantasy storyboards of a CGI re-do of that battle to the same soundtrack and dialogue mix, the E-D would be featured exploding in the background as the E-C entered the rift, with the audience seeing the explosion "over the shoulder" of the E-C as she advanced into the anomaly. The things we could've seen if CGI were twenty years more advanced..

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2013, 04:52 AM   #34
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

GoRe Star wrote: View Post
It's not about the emotional attachment of the characters, but of the audience. That's the appeal he's making. Which is half the episode's appeal, since it breaks the arm of coincidence the exact same crew is on the exact same ship despite twenty plus years of different history.
That's what I would have said.

Personally, what would have made the episode 10 times better for me is if they had gone out a bit more on the choreography of the space battle between the Klingons and the Enterprise.

For most of TNG we get the same "2 ships stand completely still and shoot 1 phaser beam or 1 torpedo at a time at each other"

The remastered version had a chance to give us a real space fight, but alas, they dropped the ball
Old October 10 2013, 04:30 PM   #35
FKnight
Commander

Arpy wrote: View Post
No. I say no Worf in "Yesterday's Enterprise"!!! No Worf, No vaccine, and No Lt. Yar!
I totally heard that in Lutan's voice in my head Best line of that episode
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2013, 05:22 AM   #36
CDR6
Lieutenant Commander

If you want to make it better remove Captian and 1st Officer and insert Kirk and Spock. (The suits were hot to kill off Kirk anyway.) You could throw in the other regulars and viola. If nothing else it would be a better death than Kirk got anyway...not to mention an end befitting an action hero and his crew.
Old October 14 2013, 12:16 PM   #37
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Austin 3:16 wrote: View Post
...already was?

Don't get me wrong, it is my favorite TNG episode ever. Fantastic episode!

But I was thinking, what if they revealed one of the captains of those Klingon Bird of Preys attacking the Enterprise D and C to be Worf? I think it would've made the episode more dramatic than it already was.

What would you have thought of this?
Goddammit, NO. Worf basically ate TNG as it was, and later did the same to DS9. I'm just glad they never figured out a way to have him pop up on Voyager and eat that show, too.

Every time there is less Worf (except for the occasional funny one-liner), the episode is improved.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2013, 02:38 AM   #38
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Yesterday's Enterprise would've been better if the romantic plot between Yar and Castillo had been removed or at least toned down. They had no fizzle, no pop. And we all know that's why she went on the E-C. An empty death in a timeline that no longer exists is not a reason. It was fun, but had too many large truck-sized plotholes.
Old October 31 2013, 11:31 PM   #39
James T Kirk
Ensign

I think thats a great idea!
James T Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 04:44 AM   #40
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Well, there IS that one line of dialogue at the end:

"Federation ship Enterprise: surrender and prepare to be boarded."

Spoken by a Klingon on one of the two remaining ships. I always thought it would be cool if just the VOICE would have been Worf
Agreed, just put the right amount of static on the voice so it doesn't *immediately* sound like Worf. Make the audience think about it for a few seconds first.

Side note: This is why I still, to this day, think that the one line in ST:FC "Acknowledged" (when the fleet admiral hails the Defiant and the Bozeman during the battle scene) is actually spoken by Worf rather than Captain Bateson.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 11:24 PM   #41
Lance
Fleet Captain

I agree with what the writers said on the Blu Ray commentary track. It would have been too 'cute'. One of the things I quite like about the "Yesterday's Enterprise" universe is that we don't know where everybody's alt equivalent actually is.

Besides, Worf's backstory is such that he'd have likely died at Khitomer as an infant if the Rozhenko's hadn't rescued him, and that's an event that would have been increasingly less likely to happen in the alt universe.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2013, 07:26 PM   #42
Leviathan
Commander

Not sure it fits the storyline...if Worf was commanding then the klingons would have been vaguely intimidating but easily beaten up.
Leviathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2013, 04:26 AM   #43
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Leviathan wrote: View Post
Not sure it fits the storyline...if Worf was commanding then the klingons would have been vaguely intimidating but easily beaten up.
Which would explain why that one ship blew up so easily. See, Worf was in the episode, he just got killed before he could offer a line.
Old November 4 2013, 02:12 AM   #44
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander

Lance wrote: View Post
I'm gonna be the sole voice of dissent on this one. I'm glad they didn't do anything like shoehorning Worf into the alternative timeline. One of the things I tend to dislike when TV shows do alternate realities is when they find a role for every member of the cast in the alternate universe, even if logic would dictate that such a dispariate group of characters wouldn't necessarily all meet each other in every quantum reality. I mean, circumstance drew them together in our universe, but would it in every universe? Even one as dramatically different as in "YestEnt"? The starfleet characters I can understand, but to me making Worf their foe would have been trite and predictable.

Besides, I like that Worf and Troi are entirely absent. Their complete absence really underlines that this is a truly very different reality.
Agreed, such practices make the universe/galaxy seem smaller than it is, just like when everything has to be tied into everything less (for instance the "V'Ger was fixed by the Borg" fan hypothesis); it also breaks suspension of disbelief: you know that character has only been shoehorned in there as a misguided form of fanservice, not out of in-universe reasons. It's poor writing.
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 04:27 AM   #45
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

CDR6 wrote: View Post
If you want to make it better remove Captian and 1st Officer and insert Kirk and Spock. (The suits were hot to kill off Kirk anyway.) You could throw in the other regulars and viola. If nothing else it would be a better death than Kirk got anyway...not to mention an end befitting an action hero and his crew.
Had the Enterprise-C been the Enterprise-A and the episode revealed the fates of Kirk and crew... now *that* would have been epic!

(YE was a huge disappointment to me when I first saw it - the TV guide said "the old Enterprise goes forward in time..." and I went into it expecting the above!)