Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 13 2013, 02:39 PM   #31
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: What, or rather Who you won't be seeing in November

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
I would go so far as to say Susan would be more important than Ian.
I thought of her, but 1) There's no reason why she wouldn't have regenerated so you wouldn't need the same actress, and coversely, 2) Russell's a better actor than Ford - have you *seen* Shakedown? There's a reason she hasn't worked since the 60s...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 02:42 PM   #32
Lonemagpie
Writer

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I'm going to voice an unpopular opinion here.

I simply don't care that the pre-2006 Doctors are not part of the anniversary special. I don't know who decided not to involve them, but it doesn't matter; whoever made the decision had their reasons. Still, we don't need a parade of actors who once essayed the role to make a special that celebrates a half-century of Doctor Who.
Like I always said, William Russell is the only person I'd think it was important to have in.
I agree, it would be nice for him to appear. And, there are indications that it might just happen. However, I don't think he's more important than having the classic Doctors appear.

Mr Awe
He would be because he's one of the original four - and the one who still acts, at that.

Gathering Doctors for anniversaries didn't take long to become a really unimaginative and frankly lazy trope - i.e. it worked once - quite apart from the practicalities involved...

Old September 13 2013, 03:05 PM   #33
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

He would be because he's one of the original four - and the one who still acts, at that.

Gathering Doctors for anniversaries didn't take long to become a really unimaginative and frankly lazy trope - i.e. it worked once - quite apart from the practicalities involved...
That's a writing/implementation issue. Nothing inherently wrong with the premise.

If a story is unimaginative and lazy it was because the writer didn't use enough imaganation and was lazy! That's the part to fix, the writer/writing.

Also, the BBC could've thought bigger, more epic and not force the story in a single 75 minute slot! Try a different format where different Doctors appear in different parts of a story, or different episodes all together.

That all said, seeing an old Ian returning to see a very young Doctor would be a classic moment that I'd love to see!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 03:19 PM   #34
StCoop
Commodore

Gathering Doctors for anniversaries didn't take long to become a really unimaginative and frankly lazy trope...
Which has nothing to do with the way they're written, of course.

And it is still happening, albeit with only one real and one fake Doctor. (And would have been two real Doctors if Eccleston had said yes.)

And I suspect we will end up with aural contributions from at least some of the older Doctors. Which is even more insulting since it says they're good for voicing animated paintings but not for actually appearing.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 03:34 PM   #35
Starkers
Admiral

So not referencing them is bad, and referencing them is bad? I have a sneaking suspicion it could have been a three hour epic featuring every living Doctor and companion directed by Sam Mendes and people would have still moaned...
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 04:02 PM   #36
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Starkers wrote: View Post
If third caveman from the right isn't in it then Moffat's off my christmas card list!
Nah, if he's not in it that's fine.

But if the second caveman from the right isn't included, well, I don't want to even think about what I'll do!

So not referencing them is bad, and referencing them is bad? I have a sneaking suspicion it could have been a three hour epic featuring every living Doctor and companion directed by Sam Mendes and people would have still moaned...
Of course, because they'll forget to include Frobisher as voiced by Robert Jezek. What a waste!

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 04:05 PM   #37
Lonemagpie
Writer

StCoop wrote: View Post
Gathering Doctors for anniversaries didn't take long to become a really unimaginative and frankly lazy trope...
Which has nothing to do with the way they're written, of course.
The problem is when you start trying to work to those kinds of choppinhg lists to please small percentage of the viewership just to to fill a very artificial tradition, then you hamper the potential for the writing - just as if you'd said "right, we want 15 minutes for product placement so now you have to do a 45 minutes story in 30." There comes a point where it's not worth the effort.

This increases with every element you try to add- The Three Doctors worked, The Five Doctors scraped through, try putting eight or nine of the buggers in and no...

Oh, sure, you could probably make a Nine Doctors work if you had, like, three 90 minute episodes a la Sherlock to run it over. But they don't.

Then you've the practical issues of several of the actors looking way different than they did at the time.

And of course it's a totally false tradition anyway- It was an experiment first time round, second time round it was done just because it had been done before, and the others have been in media that don't have too many problems with the state of the actors...

And it is still happening, albeit with only one real and one fake Doctor. (And would have been two real Doctors if Eccleston had said yes.)
Which doesn't make it any better an idea. But if the multi-Doctor fans are going to say "well that means it's happening anywa", then why complain that it isn't?

And I suspect we will end up with aural contributions from at least some of the older Doctors. Which is even more insulting since it says they're good for voicing animated paintings but not for actually appearing.
That's practicality for you.

Old September 13 2013, 04:06 PM   #38
Lonemagpie
Writer

Absolutely - Dr Who's fanbase has always had a self-destructive tribalist clique keen to find excuses for hostility.

Old September 13 2013, 04:11 PM   #39
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ (two posts up) Creativity and ingenuity will fix those problems. Also, you have to think bigger. Those are issues because they'd have to cram everything into 75 minutes. Spread it out a bit!

The actors looking different is a non-issue. A normal real-world explanation that everyone can relate to and a valid onscreen explanation has already been presented. And, The Five Doctors had a notably older Pertwee and Troughton, and it was no problem at all.

What you describe as a "false tradition" is pretty much how traditions are started! You first experiment, people like it, and it continues!

Mr Awe
Old September 13 2013, 04:13 PM   #40
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

3 Hours, Good lord, imagine the padding, it'd be like Classic Who running up and down corridors and captured and escaping every 10 minutes

Who's Sam Mendes? Runs off to Google (Ah, all I've seen of his is American Beauty)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 04:15 PM   #41
Starkers
Admiral

Absolutely - Dr Who's fanbase has always had a self-destructive tribalist clique keen to find excuses for hostility.
This is why I like to think of myself as a Blakes 7 fan who's merely Who-curious...
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 04:16 PM   #42
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

So not referencing them is bad, and referencing them is bad?
Huh? Referencing them is not bad. Them not appearing is bad.

Mr Awe
Old September 13 2013, 04:18 PM   #43
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
I would go so far as to say Susan would be more important than Ian.
I thought of her, but 1) There's no reason why she wouldn't have regenerated so you wouldn't need the same actress, and coversely, 2) Russell's a better actor than Ford - have you *seen* Shakedown? There's a reason she hasn't worked since the 60s...
There's no reason why she WOULD have regenerated if she's settled down on some relatively save planet. She would age (the first doctor aged to what he looked like when we first saw him with (as far as we know) no regenerations.
Old September 13 2013, 04:19 PM   #44
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
3 Hours, Good lord, imagine the padding, it'd be like Classic Who running up and down corridors and captured and escaping every 10 minutes

Who's Sam Mendes? Runs off to Google (Ah, all I've seen of his is American Beauty)
Again, that would be a writing issue, not a problem with the premise, if it was 3 hours running up and down corridors.

Seriously, just implying that it would be padded like that doesn't mean the premise is bad, it just points out the need to avoid lazy, umimaginative writing!

It is possible to write 3 hours of solid entertainment!

Mr Awe
Old September 13 2013, 04:20 PM   #45
Redfern
Commodore

I thought that was true for ANY and ALL fandoms.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote