Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old October 23 2013, 06:27 AM   #91
OpenMaw
Commander

Re: Favourite Warp Effect...

TMP and TSFS. Loved watching the E bail outta Earth space in TSFS.

Trek 2009 had a fantastic update which was elegant, simple, and powerful. I'm not big on the tunnel, though. Don't care for the changes in STID much.

Was never big on any of the TNG/Berman era warp effects. They lacked punch for me.
Old October 23 2013, 08:16 PM   #92
Captain Jed R.
Lieutenant Commander

I like the entry into warp in 2009, the sort of BOOM gone, but the tunnel is horrid. The pixie dust is pretty horrid too. I like the simplicity of streaking stars, even if they're not all that realistic.

Wibble.
Captain Jed R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 08:47 PM   #93
OpenMaw
Commander

I always thought a really cool effect would be to have all the light focused at the front of the ship, trailing along the sides and fading into total darkness behind it. Like a shooting star type of effect. You wouldn't be able to look out the front window of the ship without being horrifically blinded by the combined light from all the stars rushing past (thru) you.

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithab...yFTLFlight.png

Something similar to that ^
Old October 23 2013, 08:59 PM   #94
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I got a kick out of seeing a Galaxy-class ship in a ST'09-style warp tunnel in this video:
Old October 23 2013, 09:02 PM   #95
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The NuTrek warp bit is just too flashy for my tastes. Keeping it simple is never a bad thing.
Old October 23 2013, 10:57 PM   #96
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

The first one in TMP. It was really loud, kinda scary and extremely beautiful. I always hated the rainbow trails from the other movies and the stretch effect from TNG. Too cheesy.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2013, 07:37 PM   #97
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I got a kick out of seeing a Galaxy-class ship in a ST'09-style warp tunnel in this video:
After seeing the new warp effect a few years ago, the "streaky light" effect of the old series just seems too...silly now. It doesn't convay speed or the various stresses etc the way the '09 one does.
Old October 25 2013, 03:16 AM   #98
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

It'd odd how something as simple as a special effect can divide opinion so massively.

I can clearly remember as a child the TNG warp effect was by far and away my favourite part of the series!
Nope, not for me great acting, storytelling or design, nope.
But if an episode featured a new warp drive effect I'd rate it as one of the greatest ever just for that!
(thank goodness this was the days before Youtube. I'd have nothing but a playlist of every ship going to warp in all of trek if I could have. (Assuming that's possible now :P ) )

Those scenes in bottle shows where the Captain would call for warp speed but the jump to warp would be represented by just a change in the sound effects without an exterior SFX shot, or worse, a stock shot of one we'd seen before, would be seen as the ultimate in teasing, hopes would be raised, then immediately dashed.

I guess the childlike reasons for enjoying a series are completely
alien to an adult, and vice versa.
I've grown up now to appreciate every aspect of the series.
But somewhere deep down within me there is that child that gets slightly too excited when he sees a ship jump to warp.

I hope it's not just me!

Rubber band effect ftw, a pox on your boring, cartoony movie streaks!
Old October 27 2013, 08:01 PM   #99
Nine of Four
Commander

Personally, I enjoy the TOS effect the best, where the ship was simply moving fast.

Don't like the NuTrek at all....
Old October 27 2013, 08:30 PM   #100
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Um, there is no TOS effect, it was the same footage as impulse.
Old October 28 2013, 12:23 AM   #101
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

I really don't understand why people like the NuTrek version. People…its the Star Wars effect without the stars.

Also, as a side note…Warp Drive is NOT FTL. Ships moving at warp speed are not moving faster than light. Warp is relativistic speed but the ships never move faster than light. Ships moving at full impulse are moving closer to genuine light speed in normal space.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 12:58 AM   #102
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

The Alternate Universe 2009 where they just start up warp and BOOM! they're gone in a flash. I remember seeing that in IMAX and it was so loud and so awesome. It's probably also the closest thing to be "realistic" when seeing a ship going into warp.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 01:07 AM   #103
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
I really don't understand why people like the NuTrek version. People…its the Star Wars effect without the stars.
I think people have explained pretty clearly why they like the effect. It conveys a sense of power and danger that has been absent from Trek when it comes to warp since the beginning.

It really doesn't remind me of the Star Wars effect.
Old October 28 2013, 02:11 PM   #104
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
I think people have explained pretty clearly why they like the effect. It conveys a sense of power and danger that has been absent from Trek when it comes to warp since the beginning.

In star wars, the streaking stars are only observed inside the ship. However from the outside, the ships just shoot off into the distance. While in hyperspace, the ships are inside a spinning blue tunnel. JJ Trek borrows all of that. It should not be surprising since Abrams has stated that he was always more of a Star Wars fan. Thus this is an example of him placing a star wars spin on a star trek concept.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2013, 03:18 PM   #105
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post

In star wars, the streaking stars are only observed inside the ship. However from the outside, the ships just shoot off into the distance. While in hyperspace, the ships are inside a spinning blue tunnel. JJ Trek borrows all of that. It should not be surprising since Abrams has stated that he was always more of a Star Wars fan. Thus this is an example of him placing a star wars spin on a star trek concept.
Using a spinning tube of light to portray various means of space travel isn't unique to Star Wars. Off the top of my head I'd point to the credits from the current version of Doctor Who, the Borg transwarp network from Voyager and the wormhole from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (also used in the TNG episode The Price).