Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 24 2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Khan 2.0
Commander

Did the ‘Enterprise’ Augment 3 parter contribute to Cumberbatch Khan?

In that (really very good) 3 parter the main villain is Malick - a genetically engineered superhuman like Khan, with an asian name but played by a white dude

Anyway I rewatched the 3 parter recently since having seen STID and it got me thinking how now it all plays out as more a prequel to STID than Space Seed/TWOK - not just in terms of design, modern feel etc but of the fact that Khan is also played by a white blue eyed guy - that aspect of downplaying the Indian warlord angle (in Space Seed anyway) and emphasizing the genetically altered/artificially created angle.

In STID Khan looks almost manufactured like a humanoid Data (kind of apt considering Soong featured in the Augment 3 parter) or even a slim Terminator (which he basically turned into when he went 'full Khan' at the end). it was more the nietzschean superman route

Last edited by Khan 2.0; September 24 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2013, 10:54 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Did the ‘Enterprise’ Augment 3 parter contribute to Cumberbatch Kh

I'd say that the Augment trilogy works excellently and equally as a prequel to both Space Seed/Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness. Frankly, the race thing doesn't register with me since Khan's was obviously never a Sikh (Marla's identification of him as such, before she knew who or what he was makes no sense since he was clean shaven and had a waxed chest) and has noticably white skin in Wrath of Khan (they dropped the skin-darkening make up). Add to that his followers all turning Aryan in WoK and you have a VERY jumbled backstory indeed.

Back on topic, the ENT Augment trilogy forshadows Khan's effortlessly whupping Kingons, and the healing of the little girl. In the exchange between Archer and Arik Soong in "Borderland"...

SOONG: They're the future. They're stronger, smarter, free from sickness, with life spans twice as long as our own. You, more than anyone, should appreciate what this means.

ARCHER: Why me?

SOONG: Your father suffered from Clarke's Disease. His final years were marked with extreme pain.

ARCHER: My father has nothing to do with this.

SOONG: He didn't need to suffer. Genetic engineering could've cured him. Those who want to suppress my Augments are the same ones who condemned your father to death.

http://www.chakoteya.net/enterprise/80.htm
Old September 24 2013, 11:01 PM   #3
OpenMaw
Commander

Enterprise, in my view, didn't have a lot of strong points.

The augment trilogy was probably one of it's strongest. The writing, the acting, the music, the action and suspense. It all works great. Not to mention it's ties to the past, and to the future (in Trek lore) are very natural and fitting.

Though, now that you bring it up. It just makes me wish even more that Harrison had been one of the Cold Station augments that had been recovered by S-31 and stored back on Earth.
Old September 25 2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Skywalker
Admiral

OpenMaw wrote: View Post
Though, now that you bring it up. It just makes me wish even more that Harrison had been one of the Cold Station augments that had been recovered by S-31 and stored back on Earth.
That could have been a neat little bit of trivia for us fans, but it probably would have carried too much continuity baggage for the uninitiated. Easier to just use Khan, who's at least a familiar name.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 12:35 AM   #5
austen_pierce
Commander

Going to have to rewatch the Augments episodes. Right now, I feel like making this connection is just reaching too far.
austen_pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 02:25 AM   #6
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Skywalker wrote: View Post
That could have been a neat little bit of trivia for us fans, but it probably would have carried too much continuity baggage for the uninitiated. Easier to just use Khan, who's at least a familiar name.
It would have made even more sense to forget previous continuity entirely and say the augments were newly developed. The fleet has just been decimated and Vulcan destroyed. Starfleet is at its weakest. What better time is there to institute a genetic engineering program from a purely militaristic point of view?
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 02:30 AM   #7
R. Star
Rear Admiral

At least NuKhan didn't have those silly torn clothes. You'd think genetically enhanced people could figure out how to sew.
Old September 25 2013, 02:31 AM   #8
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Agenda wrote:
It would have made even more sense to forget previous continuity entirely and say the augments were newly developed. The fleet has just been decimated and Vulcan destroyed. Starfleet is at its weakest. What better time is there to institute a genetic engineering program from a purely militaristic point of view?
But they only had a year.
Old September 25 2013, 02:56 AM   #9
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Agenda wrote:
Well...Sure, if you're gonna drag that old chestnut out

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 03:31 AM   #10
IronWaffle
Ensign

R. Star wrote: View Post
At least NuKhan didn't have those silly torn clothes. You'd think genetically enhanced people could figure out how to sew.
Says the Cardassian tailor!
IronWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 03:45 AM   #11
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Agenda wrote:
So? Kirk made captain in about a day. Rushing things for the sake of plot doesn't seem to be one of JJ's problems.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 05:03 AM   #12
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Making Kirk captain only takes a moment. How does one create a fully grown adult augment in a year?
Old September 25 2013, 05:36 AM   #13
Skywalker
Admiral

Making Kirk captain only takes a moment. How does one create a fully grown adult augment in a year?
With sufficiently advanced technology.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 08:15 AM   #14
OpenMaw
Commander

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Eh...

You could even make it so that Marcus had restarted the program secretly due to the impeding war with the Klingon empire.

"Augments? Impossible! They were all destroyed nearly a century ago. Research into genetic enhancement has been completely outlawed ever since." - McCoy

And then Spock could do his Spock thing and explain how Marcus is a badass and would have access to that stuff. Or, even something as simple as having McCoy drop the bombshell that the super-human stuff is the result of Khan's genetic augmentation (After he takes the blood sample.)

Last edited by M'Sharak; September 25 2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: to add missing quote tag and correct quote attribution
OpenMaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Khan 2.0
Commander

thats an interesting - maybe even go one further and have Harrsion as an augmented superhuman that was created to do starfleets dirty work - born from a certain superhumans DNA/blood - big mystery until we find out its from Khan Noonian Singh (that couldve been the big reveal in the brig - Harrison saying something like 'My father is Khan!')

so the plot wouldve involved Harrison searching for Khan (and his people) that Admiral Marcus has stored away in a secret Section 31/Area 51 type base (Marcus dared not awaken khan but used his DNA/blood to create a Bourne/Rambo like supersoldier he could control) - Harrison would battle everyone like in TNGs The Hunted until he finds them and wed finally see Khan at the end in a cryopod (CG 1967 Space Seed Montalban) - Khan would be like the McGuffin/Artifact driving the plot like in Indiana Jones

would’ve made all kinds of sense with Cumberbatch looking/sounding nothing like Khan
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote