Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 13 2013, 11:01 AM   #31
Beagleman
Captain

Re: Jurassic Park 4 becomes 'Jurassic World'

bigdaddy wrote: View Post

Here is the concept art of the canceled movie...

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/hum...4-concept-art/
Wow, words can't describe how terrible those look... (and the whole concept BTW).
Beagleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 02:00 PM   #32
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Beagleman wrote: View Post

Wow, words can't describe how terrible those look... (and the whole concept BTW).

Further down below the article says that those drawings are not concept art.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 02:52 PM   #33
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be surprised if they just renamed it so they could do a reboot of the original...
Old September 14 2013, 03:26 AM   #34
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Don't they have a script?

A reboot would probably be more successful if they used the name "Jurassic Park." Its the reason the Karate Kid reboot wasn't Kung Fu Kid (although they briefly looked into it). I think the Jurassic World name is because nobody likes sequels with numbers anymore.
Old September 14 2013, 06:12 AM   #35
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Especially the number four. Trilogies are an esteemed concept, but I can think offhand of several franchises that stopped numbering their titles with their fourth entry: Mission: Impossible, Terminator Salvation, Rambo... not to mention Fast & Furious, the only F&F sequel not to have a number or a secondary title. So... yeah, Jurassic Park 4 was never gonna be the final title.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 07:11 AM   #36
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Jurassic Park 4 is a doomed concept, I'm certain of that. It has all the traits of films that bombed and sucked. They don't have an inspired idea for a story, but they want another film. This kind of motivation has never resulted in a good film.
I wish I could disagree with you, but you have the history of forced movie sequels backing you up.

Aside from that, I am not a fan of movie series that take breaks of a decade or more between installments. Yes, I eagerly awaited the Star Wars prequels, and then Indy Jones 4, but those served to illustrate a sad truth: When you come back to make a new installment after so much time, it just doesn't feel the same. The best sequels come out between one and five years after the previous film (and naturally flow from the story of the previous one rather than trying to copy it).
Old September 14 2013, 01:41 PM   #37
Beagleman
Captain

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

Ok, too shocked by the pictures to read further.
Beagleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 05:36 PM   #38
Alidar Jarok

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Jurassic Park 4 is a doomed concept, I'm certain of that. It has all the traits of films that bombed and sucked. They don't have an inspired idea for a story, but they want another film. This kind of motivation has never resulted in a good film.
I wish I could disagree with you, but you have the history of forced movie sequels backing you up.

Aside from that, I am not a fan of movie series that take breaks of a decade or more between installments. Yes, I eagerly awaited the Star Wars prequels, and then Indy Jones 4, but those served to illustrate a sad truth: When you come back to make a new installment after so much time, it just doesn't feel the same. The best sequels come out between one and five years after the previous film (and naturally flow from the story of the previous one rather than trying to copy it).
The last Rocky was ok. Quite often, sequels one after the other start to run out of steam (Rocky 5 is a good example). Sometimes, inspiration can lead to a good new movie. Usually not a great one, but, let's be honest, there's nothing great about either Jurassic Park sequel.

I do hope some effort will be made to capture the magic of the original. Certainly, a good story will help, but part of the appeal of the original was that it wasn't a monster movie, it was a movie with wonderful animals (who also happened to want to kill you, but that's besides the point). I give the second one credit for trying even though the execution was poor. The third one didn't really try and that's somewhat disappointing. I hope the fourth isn't just a monster movie.
Old September 14 2013, 05:47 PM   #39
davejames
Vice Admiral

To be honest I frankly find the first movie to be cheesy as hell now. It still has some really powerful and magical moments, but the overall tone is just a little too cute and sweet and family friendly for my taste.

I know it's been said a million times, but looking back, I really wish Spielberg had stayed closer to the darker tone of the book. I didn't feel that way so much as a kid, but now I definitely do.

Last edited by davejames; September 14 2013 at 07:56 PM.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 05:50 PM   #40
Alidar Jarok

Well, I don't necessarily disagree with that - certainly any reboot should. However, even the book was able to admire the dinosaurs.
Old September 14 2013, 05:54 PM   #41
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Campy parts of the film may be, but if I was confronted with real life dinosaurs that weren't trying to eat me at the time, I suspect I might act the same way.
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 06:29 PM   #42
publiusr
Commodore

But I'd love to see a movie where dinosaurs make it to the mainland and the military takes them out.
That will never happen. Remember in one film where the T-Rex is captured, and the movie played it as a tragedy? Or the folks on ATVs with the villain music? I'm a leftie on some things, but it was all too heavy handed to me. Especially during the dinner scene in the first film, where I did not take the side of the heros.

I think this movie will have more of an aquatic focus. I want to see this:
http://www.plesiosaur.com/plesiosaurs/liopleurodon.php

In a real Jurrasic Park were ever made, there would be no problems most likely. I think Goldblum once said on the Tonight Show that he would have no problems bringing back a small one.

It really is the other way around. That would be the worst to get out and become an invasive species. There are no mammalian counterparts to a tyranosaur, and it would never get out of a volcanic island with quarried sides and steep artificial barriers.

But there would be no movie.

The Land that Time Forgot was the last film showing any combat with dinos other than forgettable junk out from time to time. The poor Styracosaurs that faced the U-boat's deck gun--that was nasty.

But that would actually be more merciful than if, say, a T-Rex were loose in New York.
It would eat a passer-by, then cross the road, and some fool would gun his taxi, and pin the ankle of the beast behind the bumper of an armored car just ahead.

The leg would snap from the un-yielding steel, and it would fall to the pavement screaming.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 06:35 PM   #43
Alidar Jarok

What if an egg washed away and managed to land in Costa Rica? Certainly unlikely, but certainly not impossible. What if it turns out that the Tyrannosaur could swim long distances (Elephants can and they've been found on islands where they could only get there by swimming).
Old September 14 2013, 08:41 PM   #44
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

Ok, too shocked by the pictures to read further.
I read it before they edited it, but I have a feeling everyone was just trying to save face.
Old May 29 2014, 07:31 PM   #45
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

The director of Jurassic World reveals some details about the plot. I'm surprised to be saying this, but it sounds pretty cool and even original.

http://io9.com/the-director-of-juras...eal-1583187211

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote