Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 11 2013, 08:38 PM   #16
VOODOOXI
Commander

Re: Rolling Stone Magazine calls for the return of TNG to TV

I doubt Patrick Stewart would want to do another weekly ST show, but I'm sure he would do several cameos a year as the entire cast is very close.

I wouldn't be shocked if the TNG to tv stories start to pick up after the release of the new Star Wars films with the original cast as well as younger cast members...Everyone who has ever written in this forum or others like it would watch every second of it despite what they say.
VOODOOXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 09:19 PM   #17
jpv2000
Captain

I would love a new Trek show set after Nemesis.

Get some young stud to play a "cowboy in the captain's chair" like a Captain Mac Calhoun type of character. Lot's of super hot ladies. With a generous amount of guest appearances by the TNG crew and it would be a winner for me.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 09:35 PM   #18
Trevacious
Captain

More likely a JJ Abrams reboot following the reality twist of the films, set a century later. Everybody gets a new face and new backgrounds to go with a production design makeover.
Trevacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 12:12 AM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

VOODOOXI wrote: View Post
Everyone who has ever written in this forum or others like it would watch every second of it despite what they say.
You obviously don't know most of us as well as you think you do.
Old September 12 2013, 01:08 AM   #20
mythme
Commodore

As I posed in the RS article, and have noted a few times on here, that I support a combination of a ship-based series (The Titan?) with the basis of Michael Dorn's pitch of a Federation colony on a Klingon planet. I think there is great potential in stories which both stand alone in their own separate settings and those that are interconnected between the two. That way you can have the best of both worlds - you can have some familiar characters aboard a starship carrying on the 24th Century timeline while creating something completely new (even "young-crowd-ish") at the colony.

Last edited by mythme; September 12 2013 at 01:20 AM.
mythme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 01:16 AM   #21
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I'm not sure this article is serious. I mean, they did name it after the most famous satirical essay in history. I think they're making fun of the Trekkies who criticize the new films.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 01:30 AM   #22
Lance
Commodore

Realistically is they were going to try and revive TNG in some form, a CGI cartoon ala Clone Wars might be the go? You could hire the entire cast then without worrying about scheduling conflicts or concerns about androids getting a little too pudgy around the middle. Indeed, such a scenario could even take place during the TNG television series, rather than necessarily having to be a post-Nemesis universe.

It would be a creatively berefit idea, but it'd certainly tickle the nostalgia bone if that's what they were aiming to do.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 01:46 PM   #23
Trek Survivor
Captain

Lance wrote: View Post
Realistically is they were going to try and revive TNG in some form, a CGI cartoon ala Clone Wars might be the go?
You beat me to it!!

Live-action TNG? Nah.

Animated show? Hell-to-the-yeah.

I've argued before that I think an animated series of Trek, TNG-based or other, would be a huge hit. The very concept of the franchise "to go where no one has gone before" - is ripe of the sort of visual storytelling that animation can provide. And the maturity and clever storytelling that can often be seen in new shows like TMNT from Nick, the recent Thundercats relaunch, or Star Wars: Clone Wars, would make for some intriguing plots as well.

And we can finally get a decent Trek toyline in there as well!
Old September 12 2013, 01:50 PM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I won't argue that some animated series do have some excellent plots, but TAS didn't exactly set a high bar in Trek's one attempt. The only downside is why pay Patrick Stewart however much he makes when we can get some unknown voice actor who sounds almost like him and pay him a lot less? The biggest upside I can think of is, hey we might actually see some really alien aliens instead of humans with funny foreheads.
Old September 12 2013, 04:04 PM   #25
Lance
Commodore

^ While I do see the point you're making, I do also think that TAS has led to a lot in Trek fandom getting concerned about any animated foray into the franchise. In other words, there is definitely a contingent within the fandom whose sole experience with Star Trek in animated form "burnt their fingers", so to speak, and so they are therefore understandably reluctant to see the franchise ever try that particular medium again.

There are many people who won't be able to see that Trek could work very well in animation, until such time as somebody actually does and proves the point.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 06:32 PM   #26
VOODOOXI
Commander

With all due respect, nobody is really going to care about an animated series except die hards who visit sites like this...I think that TNG's return (with some younger cast members) from a commercial point of view is a no brainier.
VOODOOXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 07:29 PM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

VOODOOXI wrote: View Post
With all due respect, nobody is really going to care about an animated series except die hards who visit sites like this...I think that TNG's return (with some younger cast members) from a commercial point of view is a no brainier.
No it's not. Sorry.

When they went out, the general public no longer cared about them. You're thinking with your heart not your head.
Old September 12 2013, 09:42 PM   #28
Makarov
Commander

Actually when they went out on TV the public definitely cared about them. They didn't lose popularity in the realm of TV.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2013, 09:51 PM   #29
BillJ
Admiral

Makarov wrote: View Post
Actually when they went out on TV the public definitely cared about them. They didn't lose popularity in the realm of TV.
It's still popular to some degree with Star Trek fans. But it has really been forgotten by the population at large.
Old September 12 2013, 10:44 PM   #30
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Makarov wrote: View Post
I don't think I can buy Picard still being captain at such an old age. It goes against every past imagining of a very elderly Picard - either back on earth or promoted to admiral. Granted those are usually illusions but still, eventually I think he would move on.
Not if he listened to Kirk's - Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship because while you're there, you can make a difference.

R. Star wrote: View Post
The only downside is why pay Patrick Stewart however much he makes when we can get some unknown voice actor who sounds almost like him and pay him a lot less?
By that reason why does anyone employ him for audio work?