RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 392
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 25 2013, 10:19 PM   #451
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: 50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

DalekJim wrote: View Post
They at least have the odd good show like Doctor Who, Sherlock, or The Thick of It. Foreigners just shouldn't take those as the normal quality because they're very far from it.
When I first started watching BBC America in 2002, I assumed that there would be awesome British shows in the vein of Blackadder and Father Ted and Doctor Who. What I got was a steady diet of Ground Force and some show about home remodeling that I've blanked out the name. Then I realized that even the BBC wasn't immune to Sturgeon's Law (99% of everything is shit), and at that point I was much happier.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 10:25 PM   #452
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The BBC largely panders to the lowest common denominator. You've probably picked their best few shows from the past few years to watch out of context, but if you were to actually put BBC1 on for a Saturday night, you'd see where I was coming from. Unless you actually are a big fan of Strictly Come Dancing and Atlantis.
Saturday night BBC has always been that way; it's hardly a new thing. Besides, there's always BBC2 and BBC4.

I'd take Saturday night BBC over Saturday night ITV. I tried ITV once and parts of my brain leaked from my ears.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2013, 11:32 PM   #453
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Evil Headhunter wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
As it happens, I'll be in London that weekend so I already reserved some tickets!

Mr Awe
I'm going to be there that weekend, too. Were there tickets available in 2-D at the theater you purchased at?
I was only looking for 3D so I checked the box to filter by 3D showings so I'm not really sure. So, sorry but I'm not really sure. I kind of hurried through it to be honest because I didn't want them to sell out!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 12:17 AM   #454
Mr Light
Admiral

I wonder what kind of box office the Dr Who movie will do! Especially with theaters charging the premium prices. Might this be a test run to gauge the bank-ability of an actual Dr Who theatrical movie?

Anybody know what the budget is? It's not on wikipedia.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 01:53 AM   #455
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Anybody know what the budget is? It's not on wikipedia.
For "The Day of the Doctor"? We know it was budgeted as a 60-minute episode. Somewhere between £1.25 and £1.5 million, I'd think.

ETA: Upon Googling, I'd revise those numbers downward, with £1.25 as the high end. Possibly around £1 million, then. Torchwood: Miracle Day probably had a higher budget per episode than "The Day of the Doctor."

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 02:17 AM   #456
Mr Light
Admiral

Well that's lame. Didn't they know it going to be release in theaters worldwide?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 03:32 AM   #457
The Wormhole
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I wonder what kind of box office the Dr Who movie will do! Especially with theaters charging the premium prices. Might this be a test run to gauge the bank-ability of an actual Dr Who theatrical movie?
Well, it isn't really a "theatrical release." Just a theatrical screening, similar to those TNG episodes which get screened to tie in with the Blu-ray releases of the seasons.

I don't know if the TNG episodes have a premium with them (I've never taken part in that) but these premiums are common for concerts or sporting events that get theatrical screenings. This is primarily the event's host's way of making it up for taking a theatre out of commission, which is especially a bi deal for Day of the Doctor given Saturday is one of the busiest days at a theatre, and the ones screening this will have an entire auditorium taken.

And really, what is the incentive for fans to go out and pay more than a standard movie ticket for something they literally can stay home and watch for free?
Old October 26 2013, 03:39 AM   #458
Nightowl1701
Commander

"Doctor Who in theaters - in 3D!!!" is what the incentive is. That and viewing the 50th Anniversary episode with (hopefully) a theaterful of fellow Whovians, all cosplaying, waving their sonic screwdriver toys and reacting loudly to every fan-pleasing moment onscreen. An outer space Rocky Horror Picture Show of sorts. It won't make much money, but that won't matter since the BBC apparently didn't spend much money on it. A win-win any way you look at it.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 06:18 AM   #459
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

And really, what is the incentive for fans to go out and pay more than a standard movie ticket for something they literally can stay home and watch for free?
The experience, I guess. I have a trio of friends who are going to it and who will skip the TV showing in order to do so. They plan to dress up, etc. I've been invited but I don't know yet whether I want to go.

Part of me wants to see Who on the big screen, but part of me wonders if it's worth it since I plan to see it on the Saturday showing on TV anyway.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 06:25 AM   #460
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
"Doctor Who in theaters - in 3D!!!" is what the incentive is. That and viewing the 50th Anniversary episode with (hopefully) a theaterful of fellow Whovians, all cosplaying, waving their sonic screwdriver toys and reacting loudly to every fan-pleasing moment onscreen. An outer space Rocky Horror Picture Show of sorts.
Yeah, and that's what's putting me off. The only time I experienced something like that was when I saw "Serenity" on opening night. There were a bunch of people in the theater doing that shit. Exaggerated laughs at the lines, cheers after one-liners, cheering on Mal and Jayne...two of them even had the script and were reading lines aloud from the movie.

It was a whole group of them and they came all costumed out, and it ruined my experience, to be honest. I'm sure THEY had fun, but I was annoyed all to hell.

I guess if I go I have to put myself in the right mindset for it, or at least watch Day of the Doctor by myself first, process it, and then watch it with rabid fans so if I miss something because of the sonic screwdriver noises or whooping cheers, I won't be annoyed.
Old October 26 2013, 09:30 AM   #461
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

From a Christopher Eccleston interview just published today:

‘The straight answer is that I am an actor,’ answers the working-class Lancashire lad, ‘and 90 per cent of actors have regular periods of unemployment. I didn’t work for seven months after Thor. I am open to any kind of work so I can pay the mortgage.’
However, a condition of my interview is that ‘Christopher Eccleston will not answer any questions on Doctor Who’.
Well I guess not any kind of work.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 10:38 AM   #462
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Evil Headhunter wrote: View Post
As it happens, I'll be in London that weekend so I already reserved some tickets!

Mr Awe
I'm going to be there that weekend, too. Were there tickets available in 2-D at the theater you purchased at?
I was only looking for 3D so I checked the box to filter by 3D showings so I'm not really sure. So, sorry but I'm not really sure. I kind of hurried through it to be honest because I didn't want them to sell out!

Mr Awe
Looks around a bit and it seems it's only in 3-D in London. Oh well. At least I have a ticket.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 11:27 AM   #463
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Kaijufan wrote: View Post

‘The straight answer is that I am an actor,’ answers the working-class Lancashire lad, ‘and 90 per cent of actors have regular periods of unemployment. I didn’t work for seven months after Thor. I am open to any kind of work so I can pay the mortgage.’
However, a condition of my interview is that ‘Christopher Eccleston will not answer any questions on Doctor Who’.
This makes fans of his Doctor, like myself, harder to like him. Did Doctor Who kill his dog or something?

On the other hand, he might be regretting not being part of the 50th now, since its also been around 7 months (or more) since Moffat offered him to be part of it. At least, I hope he's not that dick-ish.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2013, 12:10 PM   #464
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Kaijufan wrote: View Post

This makes fans of his Doctor, like myself, harder to like him. Did Doctor Who kill his dog or something?

On the other hand, he might be regretting not being part of the 50th now, since its also been around 7 months (or more) since Moffat offered him to be part of it. At least, I hope he's not that dick-ish.
To be honest, at this point I think fans of his should just give up the ghost. It's obvious that he is determined to make his time on the show his past and would prefer not to discuss it. Some people are like that. John Hughes was like that regarding his Brat Pack movies after the 80's. And no matter what you do, you'll just end up pushing them further into their hole.

I don't think he's THAT much of a dick, since by all reports he's very forthcoming and generous with kids who see him as The Doctor, or so I've read here and elsewhere. But statements like this just make him look like a hypocrite.

At the end of the day, it's his choice how he wants to live his life. He has an entire fandom that loves him, but the constant questioning has probably annoyed him. You could say he brought it on himself. He threw his name into the ring in the first place.

I really think Doctor Who should just leave him alone. If he wants to emerge into our light again, he will. Otherwise...it's his life.
Old October 26 2013, 01:09 PM   #465
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

He's publicising Thor TDW. I don't think it's particularly unreasonable that he insist that he not be asked about a TV show he appeared in nearly a decade ago. And I note that the I interviewer says:

If Eccleston comes across as at all narky or ungracious in print, in person he’s warm, affable, fully engaged and charmingly free of media bulls***.