Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 20 2013, 09:30 PM   #376
KevasTrader
Lieutenant Commander

Re: 50th Is "The Day Of The Doctor" (And Is 75 Minutes)

Can anyone identify the man with his back to us immediately in front of the Eleventh Doctor?

Could it be John Hurt?
KevasTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 09:53 PM   #377
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Evil Headhunter wrote: View Post
io9 has posted a closer look at the trailer and points out some of the harder to catch references.

I caught most of these but I'm embarssed about missing the Polyphase Avatron reference. I recognized it but for the life of me I couldn't place it.
That's what I was wondering about earlier, next to the assembled Key To Time. I didn't recognize it at all
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 10:21 PM   #378
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I'm personally glad we don't know more.

We already know John Hurt is in it as a shamed and dis-acknowledged Doctor, probably from the Time War's nastiest period.

We know there's Zygons and Daleks in it.

We know Kate Stewart is in it, as is Rose, 10, 11 and Clara.

I'm just not understanding not only the desire to know even more, but, actual outrage expressed by not being fed even more.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 10:28 PM   #379
Captain_Amasov
Captain

This must have passed me by but 'Doctor Who TV' have mentioned that actor Ankur Sengupta has listed on his CV two roles; one a UNIT solider, and the other an Arcadian refugee in the 50th. So are we going to see the "Fall of Arcadia" on the 23rd?
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 10:30 PM   #380
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I'm personally glad we don't know more.

We already know John Hurt is in it as a shamed and dis-acknowledged Doctor, probably from the Time War's nastiest period.

We know there's Zygons and Daleks in it.

We know Kate Stewart is in it, as is Rose, 10, 11 and Clara.

I'm just not understanding not only the desire to know even more, but, actual outrage expressed by not being fed even more.
This. It was a lovely reminder of how good the last 50 years have been and what it is we're celebrating. An appetite-whetter.
Old October 20 2013, 10:33 PM   #381
Captain_Amasov
Captain

I'd heard one or two people complain about what had been left out; for a one minute trailer it referenced a lot, but still, that was only a fraction of the stuff we've seen over the last fifty years. And that's why I love this trailer; it reminds me just how vast Doctor Who really is. If that makes sense.

Also:

"Our future depends on one single moment of one impossible day."

I'm probably over thinking this, but I assume that's a reference to the "moment". The one the Doctor used to end the Time War with.

Last edited by Captain_Amasov; October 20 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 12:12 AM   #382
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Has anyone wondered how much the trailer cost?

There's no footage from the episode, so everything in it was new. There's a lot of CG work in it, and some things about it suggest that it was composed with 3-D in mind.

Six figures?

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 12:12 AM   #383
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Complaining about stuff left out of a one minute trailer covering 50 years is just silly.

Though I will say its a shame there wasn't a Brigadier reference in there somewhere.

Unless of course that was his face carved into the mountain under Elevens feet.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 12:13 AM   #384
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Sindatur wrote: View Post
While not outraged, and satisfied that we at least got some new material yesterday, as I've stated many times before, there's already been 2 trailers to this that have shown footage. I want to see at least what the Comic Con people did. Footage. Is that too much to ask? I don't think so.

Every episode gets a 30-second promo, every movie that comes out in the theatre gets a trailer. I want a trailer for the 50th.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 03:03 AM   #385
The Wormhole
Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Though I will say its a shame there wasn't a Brigadier reference in there somewhere.
I agree, but at the same time I'm not letting that bother me too much since most companions were left out of this. Were there even any aside from Sara Jane, Clara, and Rose?
Old October 21 2013, 03:45 AM   #386
Christopher
Writer

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I agree, but at the same time I'm not letting that bother me too much since most companions were left out of this. Were there even any aside from Sara Jane, Clara, and Rose?
K-9 is at Sarah Jane's feet, and apparently the top of Amy's head is visible over the Ninth Doctor's shoulder.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 04:04 AM   #387
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Which has got me thinking. Would anyone be against K9 working with the 12th doctor?

I don't know if it would be more technically demanding(more time to set up filming) or not that difficult.

The thing is just remote controlled. It's not like having an actor in silurian makeup as a regular.
Old October 21 2013, 04:23 AM   #388
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Which has got me thinking. Would anyone be against K9 working with the 12th doctor?

I don't know if it would be more technically demanding(more time to set up filming) or not that difficult.

The thing is just remote controlled. It's not like having an actor in silurian makeup as a regular.
i think it would be great if they brought K9 back.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 04:41 AM   #389
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Cyberman wrote: View Post
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

i think it would be great if they brought K9 back.
Maybe in small doses, sure. An episode here or there. There's material to be mined there, since we haven't seen K-9 in about 4 years. I'd like to see Clara's reaction to a robot dog, and it would be nice if Capaldi's doctor went on a spree digging out a bunch of old stuff in the TARDIS and fixed it, etc.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 04:51 AM   #390
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Maybe in small doses, sure. An episode here or there. There's material to be mined there, since we haven't seen K-9 in about 4 years. I'd like to see Clara's reaction to a robot dog, and it would be nice if Capaldi's doctor went on a spree digging out a bunch of old stuff in the TARDIS and fixed it, etc.
Yeah, definately a one shot guest appearance. From the sound if it, they're going with as more serious tone with Twelve, so a robot dog probably wouldn't fit in.

Maybe they could even work in a guest spot with the rest of the SJA crew.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote