Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 11 2013, 05:48 PM   #16
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Re: Who was the rude person

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
The pharmacist or the customer?
I watch too much Curb Your Enthusiasm, when I read that I instantly thought it would be about this-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HavF5f3VoA

"Doctor?... Pharmacist?"
Ethros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 06:53 PM   #17
mari
Captain

Pretty sure my current pharmacy has a no-phones policy, but I don't generally use my phone in public so I haven't really noticed.

At my previous retail job I had to wait on them no matter what, but I would stand there quietly for 20 minutes holding up the line until they looked up and then say "and you're paying... how?"

My mother, who works at a different establishment, will also stare blankly ahead until either phone-person stops their conversation or the person behind them in line yells at them. Mom's co-worker responds to them as if the conversation is with her. Mixed results on that one.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 10:27 PM   #18
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

I can't stand it when a customer comes up to my counter and is talking on the phone, especially when they're using a Bluetooth headset and I have no idea at first if they're talking to me or the person on the phone. Other than the few people who just come up to the counter to buy an item or two, most of my interaction with customers involves either taking their order or bringing their order to them. When I first started, more than once I had tried to take an order while the customer was on the phone and details were left out, and when the order was picked up guess who get's blamed for it?

If I come up to a customer at the counter on the phone, I'll let them know I'll wait for them to be off before we engage. There's just too much involved to deal with someone with divided attention...not to mention its just really rude. The same goes for people answering a call mid-transaction just to have a 5 minute conversation about where they are and why they can't talk right now. Last time I checked, that's what voicemail is for.
Old September 13 2013, 10:48 PM   #19
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Her account of her behavior sounds a little saccharine, so I don't entirely believe her. That being said, when working registers (not in a pharmacy, though) I recognized that you need to tolerate people on the phone and you can generally do your job either way. So it really depends on whether any interaction was actually needed. If it was simply ringing up a transaction that didn't involve asking any questions, she probably should have just done that, so I side with the customer. If she had to ask questions for certain information, I would side with the pharmacist.

Without the other side of the story, it's hard to say.
Old September 13 2013, 11:03 PM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

Could incidents like this be down to the fact that we've become so accomsted to mobile phones that at times we forget we are on a mobile. Do we treat it as a sort of extension of a land-line we would use at home and sort of tune out other people when we are out an about using our mobile phones.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2013, 11:41 PM   #21
publiusr
Commodore

It is sad how we all get on each other's nerves. The worst thing is to see oneself from the out side. You can't think like the other persons brain.

I've been snapped,at, and just figure the other person had a very bad day, and just eat it.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 01:18 AM   #22
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Her account of her behavior sounds a little saccharine, so I don't entirely believe her. That being said, when working registers (not in a pharmacy, though) I recognized that you need to tolerate people on the phone and you can generally do your job either way. So it really depends on whether any interaction was actually needed. If it was simply ringing up a transaction that didn't involve asking any questions, she probably should have just done that, so I side with the customer. If she had to ask questions for certain information, I would side with the pharmacist.

Without the other side of the story, it's hard to say.
Thing is the pharmacist or the whomever may HAVE to ask if she needs a consultation (it may be a requirement with that medication, refill or not) and if she DOES need one she can't get one if she's on the phone due to privacy laws. So talking to her may open up difficult doors because NOW you have to say, "Well we can't do that for you while you're on the phone."

How about people just put down their damn phone for five-fucking minutes to interact with a human being who is helping you. Just today I dealt with the BS to a lady giving me about 10% of her attention and telling me what she wanted through vague hand signals and gestures (one of a disturbingly high number of people who do not understand how perspective works and that I cannot see what she is pointing at because I have a completely different point of view, not to mention solid objects blocking my vision.) No pleasantries, no "Hi, how are you today?" or anything like that. Just points, waves when I grabbed the wrong one followed by stern pointing and tapping/pounding on the counter. All because she needed to talk to someone on the phone about some parent's visitation day at school the night before.

Stop being assholes, folks, but the damn phone away when you're interacting with another human being.
Old September 14 2013, 02:13 AM   #23
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Thing is the pharmacist or the whomever may HAVE to ask if she needs a consultation
She may. And whether or not she actually had to would determine the answer, not something theoretical.

How about people just put down their damn phone for five-fucking minutes to interact with a human being who is helping you.
Sure. However, its still a service industry. If you can do your job without needing to interact, there's no reason to interact. You can make their experience more pleasant without making your job unduly difficult. If you can't do your job without needing to interact, then the person should put down the phone. Its as simple as that. But it seems like there's too much pride going on rather than actual business need.
Old September 14 2013, 02:37 AM   #24
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I worked for chain retail pharmacies for six years (and now work for an independent). I have no doubt the pharmacist was in the right.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2013, 04:05 AM   #25
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

The pharmacist was right. Now that cellular phones are common place, many people seem to have lost the manners which come with common decency.

Earlier tonight, I lectured my new boyfriend about this very thing. He tends to get so lost on his tablet or cell phone that he tuned out the whole evening. I watched as people asked him the same question twice or more before he seemed to react. I let him know this is not acceptable behavior to me. We have agreed that all electronic communications will be put away prior to entertaining guests.