Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 20 2013, 02:03 PM   #46
trampledamage
Clone

Re: why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

vegaslover62 wrote: View Post
bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Absolutely correct - it is my personal opinion. It's things like personal opinions that keep the conversation going.
But when it comes to personal opinions that predict the future success of a corporation you're not employed by, or seems to make decisions for them, I think that kind of opinion should be kept to oneself, regardless if you think it "keeps the conversation going". That doesn't sound like a good conversation.

I'm not against the posting of opinions, just this kind of opinion.
This is a discussion forum - it's all about people's opinions. If you don't like someone's opinion you're welcome to discuss why. You don't get to say which opinions are allowed.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2013, 09:30 PM   #47
publiusr
Commodore

Noddy wrote: View Post
publiusr wrote: View Post

I might want to add Carpenter's Thing and some Founders to keep things interesting.
But then, IMO, it's just like with the Predators and the Hirogen. The latter are so much like the former anyway, you might as well just use them in a story where you wanted scary, psychotic hunters stalking the characters. So why do a crossover with The Thing when you could just as easily utilize the Founders for a story involving creepy shapeshifters?
To see how they may react to one another. The Founders mimic life, not infect it. Having the two try to absorb one another would be a plot point. Having Jem Hadar and Hirogen looking frightened segues into the Predators.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2013, 02:02 AM   #48
shanejayell
Captain

They also did a 'Aliens vs Star Trek' story in one of the first SCE books.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM   #49
Khan 2.0
Commander

If they can do Apes/Trek, I wonder how long before Alien/Trek? (surely not too long now)
Khan 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM   #50
Christopher
Writer

Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
If they can do Apes/Trek, I wonder how long before Alien/Trek? (surely not too long now)
Well, it's hard to tell with these inter-company crossovers. IDW got DC to cooperate on Star Trek/Legion of Super Heroes and Boom! to cooperate on ST/PotA, but that doesn't guarantee that Dark Horse would be willing to cooperate on a Trek/Aliens crossover.

An idle thought: Now that Dark Horse is losing the Star Wars comics license to Marvel, they might be interested in getting their hands on the Trek license to fill the void. Not sure whether that would improve or worsen the chances that they'd cooperate with IDW on a Trek crossover. Might be interesting to see what they'd do with Trek, in any case.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #51
Relayer1
Commodore

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Absolutely correct - it is my personal opinion. It's things like personal opinions that keep the conversation going.
But when it comes to personal opinions that predict the future success of a corporation you're not employed by, or seems to make decisions for them, I think that kind of opinion should be kept to oneself, regardless if you think it "keeps the conversation going". That doesn't sound like a good conversation.

This is a discussion forum - it's all about people's opinions. If you don't like someone's opinion you're welcome to discuss why. You don't get to say which opinions are allowed.
True !

My personal take on crossovers is that I don't like them. There's very few franchises that have compatible worldbuilding...
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM   #52
bbailey861
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Khan 2.0 wrote: View Post
Well, it's hard to tell with these inter-company crossovers. IDW got DC to cooperate on Star Trek/Legion of Super Heroes and Boom! to cooperate on ST/PotA, but that doesn't guarantee that Dark Horse would be willing to cooperate on a Trek/Aliens crossover.

An idle thought: Now that Dark Horse is losing the Star Wars comics license to Marvel, they might be interested in getting their hands on the Trek license to fill the void. Not sure whether that would improve or worsen the chances that they'd cooperate with IDW on a Trek crossover. Might be interesting to see what they'd do with Trek, in any case.
Two questions, Christopher. When does the license come up for renewal and if they were going to make a play for Trek, why would it make sense to cooperate with IDW on a Trek crossover. At the very least, I'd suspect they'd want to hold out until the license was renewed, regardless of who is to be the winner.

That gets me to thinking of another question - is IDW even interested in renewing their license (that anyone knows of)?
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM   #53
Christopher
Writer

Two questions, Christopher. When does the license come up for renewal...
I have no idea. I'm just a freelancer, and I've never worked in Trek comics, so there's no reason I'd have that information.

and if they were going to make a play for Trek, why would it make sense to cooperate with IDW on a Trek crossover.
As I said, I don't know whether it would help or hurt the chances of such a crossover. In theory, it might be a chance to show what they could do with the property; conversely, as you suggest, they might be unwilling to cooperate with a competitor.

Of course, it's pure speculation that they'd be interested at all.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #54
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
trampledamage wrote: View Post

True !

My personal take on crossovers is that I don't like them. There's very few franchises that have compatible worldbuilding...
Damn.. that's my Jack Reacher/Star Trek pitch going in the bin...
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM   #55
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

Hmm. The only ST/other franchise crossover I particularly enjoyed was Ishmael.
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote