Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 11 2013, 03:12 PM   #76
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

I don't mind the level of "hype". I'm not into hype anyway. Teaser's don't do much for me. After all, they'll make a poor episode look great anyway. So, that aspect doesn't bug me much. It's actually been a nice break to not have a continual stream of hype.

What bugs me a bit more is the lack of classic Who in the anniversary special. Of course, I could be surprised on that so I'll wait and see. But, visual cameos like scarfs and what not won't be sufficient. And, it doesn't have to be all the classic Doctors or companions, just one would be great. But, a celebration of 8 years really doesn't cut the mustard, nor the excuse that Moffat is just looking forward. You can do both.

Also, if they didn't want any classic characters in the anniversary special, they could've gotten one or two in a regular season story. That way they don't increase the required budget. Basically do what the classic series did with The Two Doctors. They brought Troughton and Hines back for a regular, non-anniversary story.

I'm really looking forward to An Adventure in Time and Space! That was great of the BBC to make, so a big thanks to them for that!

The classic Who finds are a great way to celebrate the anniversary, but I don't give BBC credit for that.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 08:04 PM   #77
Mary Bailey
BobTheSkutter's wife

View Mary Bailey's Twitter Profile

I see watch (sat/cable UK channel) have a Doctor Who weekend, with some classic stories and a few overview programmes (on the companions, etc). That's the sort of thing I expected the BBC to do.

RevdKathy
Mary Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 09:04 PM   #78
StCoop
Commodore

Bridezilla wrote: View Post
I see watch (sat/cable UK channel) have a Doctor Who weekend, with some classic stories and a few overview programmes (on the companions, etc). That's the sort of thing I expected the BBC to do.
They're showing what BBC America's been showing all year and which the actual BBC has no interest in showing because the series didn't exist before 2005.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2013, 09:27 PM   #79
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Bridezilla wrote: View Post
Cool - when is that?
Old October 11 2013, 10:58 PM   #80
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post

What bugs me a bit more is the lack of classic Who in the anniversary special. Of course, I could be surprised on that so I'll wait and see. But, visual cameos like scarfs and what not won't be sufficient. And, it doesn't have to be all the classic Doctors or companions, just one would be great. But, a celebration of 8 years really doesn't cut the mustard, nor the excuse that Moffat is just looking forward. You can do both.

Also, if they didn't want any classic characters in the anniversary special, they could've gotten one or two in a regular season story. That way they don't increase the required budget. Basically do what the classic series did with The Two Doctors. They brought Troughton and Hines back for a regular, non-anniversary story.

I'm really looking forward to An Adventure in Time and Space! That was great of the BBC to make, so a big thanks to them for that!

The classic Who finds are a great way to celebrate the anniversary, but I don't give BBC credit for that.

Mr Awe
I agree with you, and I don't even like the Classic series. I find it boring, cheesy, talky and it has silly music. I guess it's an acquired taste like TOS. But how many shows or franchises for that matter get to 50 years old? The BBC should have been pulling out ALL the stops to celebrate the history of the show.

There is a possibility that there will be a load of surprises on hand, with pickup shots filmed after everything else was done and secret cameos or Youtube minisodes, but I have to ask....why even do that? What's the point, really? Is a "surprise!" that important to Moffat and co. that they would keep classic actor cameos under wraps? They should be using them to promote the hell out of this, put them on the poster, etc.

It's all been very strange. I suppose a PR blitz in the last month or so might change my mind, but I'm seriously scratching my head at some of their decisions regarding this special.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 03:23 PM   #81
Noddy
Captain

To try and keep the tone up a little, I'd just like to add that it wasn't until Star Trek Into Darkness actually opened to the public that it was finally confirmed that Khan was indeed the villain, and Spock Prime had a cameo. The studio had maintained silence over both issues beforehand, with one cast member even flat-out denying the rumor that Cumberpatch was playing Khan. And lo and behold, we got both Khan and Spock Prime.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 08:03 PM   #82
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Good point Noddy. Plus Moffat is a known liar.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 08:12 PM   #83
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Noddy wrote: View Post
And lo and behold, we got both Khan and Spock Prime.
Both of which were wholly unecessary to the plot of the film, and are needless fanwank for the nerds.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2013, 09:59 PM   #84
Noddy
Captain

Emperor-Tiberius wrote: View Post
Both of which were wholly unecessary to the plot of the film, and are needless fanwank for the nerds.
I wouldn't call them unnecessary. They gave the more long-term fans something to enjoy, made it that little bit more palatable. I'd call that worthwhile.
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 01:32 AM   #85
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't call them unnecessary. They gave the more long-term fans something to enjoy, made it that little bit more palatable. I'd call that worthwhile.
While this is totally off topic for this thread, I hated that it was Khan. It was stupid that it was Khan. Khan carries no weight without that first TOS story.

The scene should've gone like this.

INT--Glass cell, think Avengers.

KHAN: I am KHANNN!.

Kirk: Who?

Blackout.

The film was bad from the beginning all the way to the end. Khan and Spock Prime was the spicy bits of badness.

Anyway... Doctor WHO!?
Old October 13 2013, 01:00 PM   #86
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I liked into darkness.
Old October 13 2013, 06:31 PM   #87
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Let's not discuss... that film.

I do think it's a possibility we might get some brief classic Doctor cameos. Not holding my breath though.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 09:22 PM   #88
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Well, its nearly a month away now. I really wonder if the trailer will come out exactly a month away from the actual release.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 10:54 PM   #89
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Well, its nearly a month away now. I really wonder if the trailer will come out exactly a month away from the actual release.
That's what I'm thinking. The trailer is probably sitting on a flash drive at the BBC since they announced it 2 weeks ago. Shouldn't take them so long to complete post-production on 2 minutes of footage. Youtube people make Doctor Who music videos faster than that.

October 23rd might be the start of a huge promotion blitz.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2013, 11:04 PM   #90
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Let's not discuss... that film.

I do think it's a possibility we might get some brief classic Doctor cameos. Not holding my breath though.
If any classic doctors appear, it will either be Paul McGann (because that's what the fans want, it would tie in with the story, and he's aged very well) or Peter Davison because David Tennant has ties with him, Moffat is a huge Davison fan, and Davison already appeared in Time Crash written by Moffat and co starring Tennant.