Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 8 2013, 08:37 PM   #46
Noddy
Captain

Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

It is if all we have to look forward to is David Tennant, Billie Piper, John Hurt, Zygons, UNIT, and Kate Stewart. Nothing groundbreaking there. And if River Song turns up, well, Steven Moffat had better watch out...
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 08:40 PM   #47
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

I wouldn't say a crime... but a pity, more like. But we don't really know why there's such a lack of classic Doctors on this special, yet.

For now, though, it just seems too bad to not have at least one of them in this. Alas...
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 08:43 PM   #48
Noddy
Captain

I'd be very sad if there's no appearance by any classic Doctors, true, but even sadder if they don't include even just one classic series companion.
Old October 8 2013, 08:44 PM   #49
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Noddy wrote: View Post
Having no appearance by any character from the classic series is a serious crime.
Which crime? Murder? Manslaughter? Genocide? Rape? GBH? Treason? Arson? Fraud? Hijacking?
Old October 8 2013, 08:48 PM   #50
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^Indecency!
Mr Awe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 08:50 PM   #51
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Touché!
Old October 8 2013, 08:53 PM   #52
Starkers
Admiral

It is if all we have to look forward to is David Tennant, Billie Piper, John Hurt, Zygons, UNIT, and Kate Stewart. Nothing groundbreaking there. And if River Song turns up, well, Steven Moffat had better watch out...
Probably just safer to err on the side of caution and not watch it then

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 08:58 PM   #53
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

We're getting John fucking Hurt as the Doctor, and you're calling that a "crime"? It's John Hurt! As the Doctor! John fucking Hurt!

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 09:00 PM   #54
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'm looking forward to the special, but it will be looked back on as a hugely wasted opportunity that we didn't get any classic Doctors returning.

I love John Hurt, but y'know.. I'd rather have a proper Doctor.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 09:04 PM   #55
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Could the found episodes have affected the budget? And that's why the Special is only 75 Minutes (I'm not complaining it's much longer than 42 minutes) and they decided to focus on new Series, because Classic Fans are getting the investment put into obtaining the Classic Episodes?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 09:05 PM   #56
Noddy
Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I'm looking forward to the special, but it will be looked back on as a hugely wasted opportunity that we didn't get any classic Doctors returning.

I love John Hurt, but y'know.. I'd rather have a proper Doctor.
Fully in agreement, Dalek Jim! Even if we don't get a classic Doctor, just one classic companion would be nice, but....nah, even that's looking doubtful.
Old October 8 2013, 09:07 PM   #57
Noddy
Captain

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
We're getting John fucking Hurt as the Doctor, and you're calling that a "crime"? It's John Hurt! As the Doctor! John fucking Hurt!
Who is playing a totally new incarnation of the Doctor, not a previous one seen before, but not in a very long while.
Old October 8 2013, 09:10 PM   #58
StCoop
Commodore

I'm not saying I agree with it but here's Moffat on the subject:

“You’re going to get every kind of retrospective in the world when it comes to the 50th and you’re not going to be short. To make this show just a walk-down, just a tribute to the past, a backward glance, would be like one of those end of year shows: ‘That was the year that was! Look back and feel slightly old and sad.’ Don’t do that! Of course it’s a celebration of the legend of Doctor Who, but more importantly it’s ensuring there’s going to be a 100th anniversary.

It’s a hugely important story to the Doctor. That was my mission statement. Very, very rarely in Doctor Who does a story matter to him very much at all. Obviously he runs around, defeats mutants, meets a space badger, saves a civilisation, causes epiphanies to happen to everyone he meets, rushes back to the TARDIS and forgets everything about it. If you asked him he might have a vague memory of the badger, and that’s it.

My intent was to move it forward, to have a show that’s equally about the next fifty years of Doctor Who. Attaching the word fifty to anything… I almost tried to rip the logo off saying ‘Why is that good?! That show you’re watching is really old!’ Why is that a good thing to say? It’s about proving we’ve got many, many more stories to tell, and in a way, being able to say the story really starts here. People ask me how am I going to please the regular audience and I say I’m actually on a recruitment drive to get the people who’ve never watched it before to watch Doctor Who. That’s what matters. There are some people out there who’ve never watched it before, God help them. You want them to think, ‘Oh I’ve been missing out, I’m going to join in now.’

If you’re going to celebrate Doctor Who, you’re celebrating the Doctor – well, why not tell his story? What’s it like for him? What’s it like being him, what defines him, what defines what he is? How do you make that might moment in his life? What would be the Doctor’s most important day, what would be the show that would change him as a person for ever, alter the course of his life?

That’s what’s big enough to do for the 50th, rather than just a parade of the greatest hits. Never mind that space badger one; this is the adventure that he really remembers, and thinks, ‘That was the day everything changed.’”
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 09:13 PM   #59
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Could the found episodes have affected the budget? And that's why the Special is only 75 Minutes (I'm not complaining it's much longer than 42 minutes) and they decided to focus on new Series, because Classic Fans are getting the investment put into obtaining the Classic Episodes?
The money would have come from a completely different place.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2013, 09:16 PM   #60
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
The money would have come from a completely different place.
Understood, but, if you're looking at a pile of money being invested for "this kind of celebration", would you not think it wasn't as necessary to invest more for "that kind of celebration" if you had limited funds? Although it comes from different "departments", eventually in the overall scheme of things it all comes from BBC, right?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote