Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 16 2013, 12:32 PM   #136
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Original Series Doctors Protest Lack Of 50th Involvement

Timewalker wrote: View Post
The current TARDIS, not any of the older ones.
Yeah, the blue box.

As for your 40th birthday, that's your own issue. I don't see anyone clamoring to know about your first 35 years, but then you're not a science fiction legend, either.
My loved ones weren't clamoring to hear about my first 35 years because they were there and remember what happened, and they're forward-thinking people who don't think that living in the past is a viable option.
Old October 16 2013, 12:50 PM   #137
Starkers
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
The current TARDIS, not any of the older ones.
Yeah, the blue box.

As for your 40th birthday, that's your own issue. I don't see anyone clamoring to know about your first 35 years, but then you're not a science fiction legend, either.
My loved ones weren't clamoring to hear about my first 35 years because they were there and remember what happened, and they're forward-thinking people who don't think that living in the past is a viable option.
I wasn't there! I insist your next post includes your five year old self as a guest star!!!!
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 01:29 PM   #138
MickJo1701
Commander

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
I'm all for sitting back and enjoying the anniversary special on its own merits.
Hear, hear. If its just as good as The Name of the Doctor then we should be onto a winner.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 01:56 PM   #139
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Uh-huh. Dismissing the "small segment" of fans who have supported this show for decades is a lovely slap in the face.
I'm one of them, and I still don't think that catering to the whimsical tastes of fandom is the best way to tell an entertaining story.
Including a classic Doctor isn't catering to whimsical tastes, it's celebrating the show's history!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 02:15 PM   #140
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

As for my use of ... when you become a moderator, you can dictate which smileys I use to express my honest sentiments.
I can ask politely, which is what I did.

Timewalker wrote:
So your world is more "real" than anyone else's, right?
No, it's precisely the same world. That your opinion is not actively supported by legions of fans doesn't make it invalid, but it is not.
Ah, but his opinion is. There are actually lots of people who want a classic Doctor to return. You can see it on this bulletin board, others, etc. You can deny it, but it's true.

Mr Awe
Old October 16 2013, 02:57 PM   #141
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Ah, but his opinion is. There are actually lots of people who want a classic Doctor to return. You can see it on this bulletin board, others, etc. You can deny it, but it's true.
Even hundreds of vocal fans on Tumblr and Blogger is still a small segment of fandom. There just isn't any massive grassroot movement, or really, any kind of momentum towards including a classic Doctor in the 50th anniversary special.
Old October 16 2013, 03:03 PM   #142
The Wormhole
Admiral

Got to say, I don't get the outrage over Day of the Doctor "ignoring" classic Who, and I say that as someone who would have liked a classic Doctor brought back.

But, it seems to me that we have An Adventure in Time and Space to celebrate the classic era while Day of the Doctor is focusing on the current era. Sure, it might not be the same as seeing Matt Smith interacting with an elderly Tom Baker and a digitally inserted William Hartnell, but it's better than nothing.
Old October 16 2013, 03:06 PM   #143
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Even hundreds of vocal fans on Tumblr and Blogger is still a small segment of fandom. There just isn't any massive grassroot movement, or really, any kind of momentum towards including a classic Doctor in the 50th anniversary special.
Wow, you've got your head in the sand I see!

We may very well end up with a great story without classic Doctors, that's what I'm hoping for. But, there are many who do want a classic Doctor in the story.

Mr Awe
Old October 16 2013, 03:14 PM   #144
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

We may very well end up with a great story without classic Doctors, that's what I'm hoping for. But, there are many who do want a classic Doctor in the story.

Mr Awe
Sure, there's alot of folks who would have liked to see Classic Doctors (I'm also one, in fact I would've liked to see a whole Series or Half Series with Classic Guest stars in each episode, building up to a massive Anniversary Special Cumination), but, the folks "insulted" by the lack of Classic Doctors or saying it'll suck or have their mind set on hating it is indeed small

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 03:33 PM   #145
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'm not so much annoyed at the lack of classic Doctors, but that we've been given a big celebrity name fake Doctor instead. It's really cynical and shallow.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 03:36 PM   #146
Starkers
Admiral

Or bold and unexpected depending on your point of view
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:04 PM   #147
MickJo1701
Commander

Its a great idea adding a previously unknown incarnation to the Doctors past but it really all hinges on whether the episode ends with a reset button i.e. Gallifrey in the End of Time.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2013, 04:14 PM   #148
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Mr Awe
Sure, there's alot of folks who would have liked to see Classic Doctors (I'm also one, in fact I would've liked to see a whole Series or Half Series with Classic Guest stars in each episode, building up to a massive Anniversary Special Cumination), but, the folks "insulted" by the lack of Classic Doctors or saying it'll suck or have their mind set on hating it is indeed small
Yeah, I'd agree with that. No point going into it expecting it to suck! Try to enjoy it folks!

I would've prefered a classic Doctor be included but hopefully it's so good I won't mind.

The funny thing is that I'm sure 50 years from now for the 100th anniversary, fans will be insulted that David Tennant wasn't asked to return!

Mr Awe
Old October 16 2013, 04:17 PM   #149
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Judge Death wrote: View Post
Or bold and unexpected depending on your point of view
What we call it now is totally irrelevant. The only important thing is the quality of the execution and what we think of it after we see it in just over a month. So, let's not pre-label it.

It might be a bold and unexpected idea, but if the story is no good it's all for nothing. However, I generally trust Moffat's storytelling abilities so I think it'll be good.

Mr Awe
Old October 16 2013, 04:25 PM   #150
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

I have two words for Stephen Moffat. I hope he takes them with the intent of where they come from. They are: Rick Berman.

You all saw how we thanked him for his "valentine gift to the fans".