Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old November 11 2013, 07:25 PM   #196
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Re: Technological Stagnation

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
If there were as many private helicopters and planes as there are cars, helicopters and planes would not be safe anymore. Even with fancy antigravity technology. You simply can't have flying things in city streets. If things go wrong, you have cars crashing into the 50th floor of a building, or dropping straight on the ground on people from 200 meters.
The FAA will obviously have to regulate such technology and autopilot tech would obviously have to guide any such devices for the most part. Commercial airplanes can take off and land today without the aide of the pilot In fact they believe the Korean Airlines accident that occured a few months back at SF International airport was because the pilot turned off the auto navigation.

It's worth noting that the FAA estimates there will be 30,000 + private drones whizzing over our heads at any given time by 2020 which is just 6 years from now.

Business Insider
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 08:04 PM   #197
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
If there were as many private helicopters and planes as there are cars, helicopters and planes would not be safe anymore. Even with fancy antigravity technology. You simply can't have flying things in city streets. If things go wrong, you have cars crashing into the 50th floor of a building, or dropping straight on the ground on people from 200 meters.
The FAA will obviously have to regulate such technology and autopilot tech would obviously have to guide any such devices for the most part. Commercial airplanes can take off and land today without the aide of the pilot In fact they believe the Korean Airlines accident that occured a few months back at SF International airport was because the pilot turned off the auto navigation.

It's worth noting that the FAA estimates there will be 30,000 + private drones whizzing over our heads at any given time by 2020 which is just 6 years from now.

Business Insider
The thought of having modern city street traffic in the sky is still just insane. It will not work. Full autopilot navigation in city street traffic will not even work for cars on the ground.

30,000 drones over the whole US? How about 30,000 drones just over downtown Manhattan? On a Sunday.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 09:17 PM   #198
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

It's just a matter of available infrastructure although with absolute gigantic need for investment and security.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 10:39 PM   #199
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I don't think we're anywhere near having things flying around inside urban canyons.

Air traffic works the way it does because it is dominantly a public transport that takes place mostly outside the cities.
Outside the cities, yes. Dominantly a public transport? That depends on how you define it. In terms of person-miles flown, sure. In terms of pure number of aircraft, maybe not. There are a *lot* of private planes up there. Still nowhere near as many as there are cars on the ground, but they tend to outnumber the commercial aircraft in many areas on a nice day. (In the weather, things change a bit.)
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 01:24 AM   #200
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Police have access to the next best thing - Tasers which essentially do the same as a phaser set on, "stun."
A phaser is guaranteed to stun a person, and has different stun settings. Usually a stunned person will stay down for a few mins at least. Also you can spray phaser a whole crowd and stun them all if necessary. That would be an awesome defense strategy if, let’s say, a group of 8 thugs was ganging up on you.

IMO though, the best part of it is the fact that you might be able to stop people from ganging up on you simply by firing a warning shot in their direction (I’m sure people who are not hopped up on drugs would definitely be intimidated by a motherfuckin’ beam of light being fired in their direction)

A taser has to be aimed properly, you only get to shoot it at one person at a time, it has no intimidation value at all, since it’s just a couple of wires with dart probes, and thick clothing is likely to completely negate the effects of it. Also if a person is high on some crazy shit, it’s not likely to take them down at all.

Boeing is supposidly working on anti-gravity technology for the US Defense Department. The flying car isn't happening until any such tech is not only declassified but also introduced comercially.
That’s pretty cool. Working anti-gravity technology is the key to make flying personal vehicles commercially viable.

I don’t disagree. It will be a tough thing to setup safety wise, even if the technology is possible.
Old November 12 2013, 02:28 AM   #201
Spider
Dirty Old Man

As long as humans continue to over populate the planet, industry and technology will innovate in the direction of supporting that population.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 05:42 AM   #202
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post
I'd be happy with Phasers.

Flying Cars and Technology to make the blind see would both be kick ass second choices.
Do a google search, while hand lasers are out of the question in the next few decades, the tech is proliferating around the world. Germany, Russia, CHina, US all have battlefield lasers in heavy development.

http://singularityhub.com/2013/01/07...over-1km-away/

RAMA
Actually, battlefield lasers are very difficult and clumsy to use by most first-world militaries, primarily because the most efficient use of those lasers -- using optical energy to burn or injure enemy troops at a distance -- is illegal under the geneva conventions. Primarily this is because a laser that will cause injury to a human being is, by definition, powerful enough to permanently blind/disable that human. Because a reflection from the laser spot can have the exact same effect, this means a battlefield laser can cause severe vision damage to anyone who just happens to be looking in the wrong direction when it's fired. So firing lasers in an urban area are going to cause an assload of collateral damage to any civilians who aren't wearing military-grade eye protection.

Militaries therefore have certain inherent limitations to how and when those weapons can be used; they are only intended to attack vehicles or missiles far from civilian areas, and cannot be used in a strictly anti-personnel mode unless they are set to only cause TEMPORARY blindness and/or disorientation.

It would be trivially easy to manufacture a laser weapon that burns out your target's retinas; that kind of thing could fit on the bottom rail of a standard assault rifle. The problem is that even DEVELOPING such a weapon constitutes a minor war crime.
Old November 12 2013, 08:12 PM   #203
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

It would be trivially easy to manufacture a laser weapon that burns out your target's retinas; that kind of thing could fit on the bottom rail of a standard assault rifle. The problem is that even DEVELOPING such a weapon constitutes a minor war crime.
There has been some work done on creating a stunning weapon that uses low power lasers to ionize the air, and fire a current thru that ionized path, sort of what lightning does, but on a smaller scale.

Basically a wireless taser system. I know they had suitcase sized ones. I don't know if they have been able to scale down the technology yet.

This would be a promising first step towards "Phaser like" weapons.
Old November 12 2013, 11:54 PM   #204
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
I don't think we're anywhere near having things flying around inside urban canyons.
I'm sure it'll never happen. But it would be so cool!

Old November 13 2013, 12:15 AM   #205
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It'S just absolutely unfeasable. Threedimensional navigation in street traffic? Forget it. Pure, deadly fantasy.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 06:17 PM   #206
B.J.
Rear Admiral

scotpens wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
I'm sure it'll never happen. But it would be so cool!

I've seen that movie countless times, but that's the first time I've noticed the Fhloston Paradise billboards in this scene!
Old November 13 2013, 07:35 PM   #207
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

5th element was a really corny movie, but I enjoyed its take on what a future megalopolis on earth might look like in a few hundreds years (assuming an optimistic view of our future)
Old November 13 2013, 08:08 PM   #208
B.J.
Rear Admiral

What you call optimistic, I call realistic or even a bit pessimistic.
Old November 14 2013, 03:23 AM   #209
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Yeah, the world as depicted in that film is not exactly a utopia. Hell, it's so polluted that you can't even walk on the ground anymore.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2013, 01:26 PM   #210
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Indeed, future Earth seems to essentially be a police state.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote