Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 9 2013, 02:44 AM   #16
Harry Palmer
Admiral

Re: If you were to create a 28th amendment.

I'll depart from the usual abolish the income tax or end the direct election of senators with a proposal for a sunset provision of say ten years on all federal legislation. With a five year review and vote for repeal option to limit the damage from any particularly daft laws.
Harry Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 03:57 AM   #17
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Universal health care.
Either this, or an amendment that says legal constructs cannot be persons/places sharp limits on the power of corporations.
Old September 9 2013, 04:57 AM   #18
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

A clarification on the executive branch's ability to pursue long-term military action without a declaration of war from congress. Included would also be a way for Congress to demand an end to military actions (with a 2/3 or otherwise overwhelming majority).

A clarification of the whole debt/debt ceiling/budget mess so that a minority can't hold the government (and our economic standing in the world) hostage.

A specification of how many judges should sit the supreme court.

A requirement for presidential nominees to various positions to be given an up or down vote within a certain amount of time.

I'm sure I have a few others in here somewhere.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 05:49 AM   #19
Captain Ice
Baseball Fan

I like your style there, Venardhi. To your list, I'd add:

1. A requirement to have a balanced budget except in times where Congress has declared war.

2. A sunset clause on federal legislation except where 50% plus one of state legislatures vote for the law

3. Formation of a three party system instead of the current two party system.

4. SCOTUS terms and term limits.

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Captain Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 05:52 AM   #20
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Term limits on Senators and Representatives. We have Senators who have been in office for as long as I've been born. It's one reason why I've voted against people like Feinstien and Boxer in the last few elections.
Old September 9 2013, 06:17 AM   #21
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Congress can not benefit from it's own laws, they have to follow the same rules as everyone else.

Shocking I know, but they have their own retirement plans, own health care, and can vote themselves raises. Also they would have to work 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year just like everyone else. None of this bullshit where they only work 115 days a year. Most people don't even have that many days off a year.

Also make elections a nation thing and not vary per state, the popular vote is what matters and everyone votes at the same time, so like 9am to 11pm Eastern and 6am-8pm Pacific. It would also be a federal holiday where more people get the day off.
Old September 9 2013, 07:51 AM   #22
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Included would also be a way for Congress to demand an end to military actions
Congress already has this, they control the purse, if congress defunds military action that would force a withdrawl.

Of course they would first have to grow the balls to actually do it.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 08:10 AM   #23
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Technically they an cut funding, but the president doesn't have to withdraw. I think it was T. Roosevelt that threatened to send the entire Navy to the Indian Ocean if they cut him off.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old September 9 2013, 02:11 PM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Line-item veto.
Old September 9 2013, 02:51 PM   #25
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

Nick086 wrote: View Post
I don't believe in a free higher education unless it a degree in the medical or science field to save lives. They must get high grades in High School and their freshman year at college or medical school to obtain this.
That would never work unless ALL high schools graded the same and were at the same level of quality. Inner city school pretty much can't complete with the "suburbs". Sad, but the truth.
Old September 9 2013, 03:23 PM   #26
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Nick086 wrote: View Post
I don't believe in a free higher education unless it a degree in the medical or science field to save lives. They must get high grades in High School and their freshman year at college or medical school to obtain this.
Of course it would be based on grades and one should apply to a college or university as they currently do.

My issue is currently...I do not think that obtaining a Masters or Doctorate degree should be limited only to persons who have the extra money to put out after already putting out so much for their undergrad.

I had a 3.8 GPA in both of my undergrad degrees (Literature was one, Anthropology another). In order to obtain a Masters in Anthropology (which I would qualify for based on grades) or even going back to school for a different field of study would currently be an impossibility for me. I already owe over 70k in student loans and have massive bills for other things (rent, car, insurance, etc.).

Therefore, even though I would gladly keep my 9-hour day, steady job and go to grad school at night and even though I am certain that I could go do it and be successful at it, I cannot do it because of monetary restraints. I think that is very sad...to live in a place where one wants to learn and desires to learn, but is forced not to because of money.

I understand the reason why we "can't" have it. But, I still think it is very sad.
Old September 9 2013, 03:56 PM   #27
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

More importantly it just isn't something that the constitution should be changed for. The constitution protects the people from the government and outlines how the government functions. It is more about what the government can't do rather than what it must do. Higher education needs an overhaul, but that level isn't the place to do it. Look at what Oregon did just recently as an example of where this kind of reform should and will be coming from.
Old September 9 2013, 05:01 PM   #28
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Some interesting ideas in this thread, some I agree with, and some I don't.

One thing I'd like to see (although I don't think it needs an amendment, just legislation), is a limit on the amount of time politicians are allowed to campaign. It seems that we see political ads and campaign tours sometimes around two *years* before the actual election! Most of these politicians are supposed to be doing the job that we already elected them for, instead of running around saying what they will do in the future. Personally, I think campaigning should be limited at most to around 3 or 4 months before the election, but that's just my own gut feel.

Any ideas how long campaigning lasted historically, especially compared to now?
Old September 9 2013, 05:19 PM   #29
farmkid
Commodore

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
My issue is currently...I do not think that obtaining a Masters or Doctorate degree should be limited only to persons who have the extra money to put out after already putting out so much for their undergrad.
That cost depends on the field. In many scientific fields, graduate students have normally have their tuition paid by their lab or by the department in return for student teaching, and get a stipend to live on. In my graduate program, for example, no one paid tuition out of their own pocket and everyone got about $20-25K/year to live on. Some stipends were paid from grant money and those in labs with limited funds had to TA for it.
B.J. wrote: View Post
Any ideas how long campaigning lasted historically, especially compared to now?
Much shorter. Kennedy announced his intention to run for President in January 1960, only about 1 year before he was inaugurated. Until the last few election cycles, the Presidential election never really got underway until shortly before the first primaries/caucuses.
Old September 9 2013, 05:48 PM   #30
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Captain Ice wrote: View Post
3. Formation of a three party system instead of the current two party system.
Three party systems don't work very well. In fact, they work horribly: in most cases, the three party position themselves in a rightwing-centrist-leftwing arrangement, which means that the centrist party, no matter how small, ends up dictating the agenda for the whole country. (Recent conspicuous exception, the British Lib Dem, which ended playing bottoms with the Tories.)

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I already owe over 70k in student loans
Holy shit. No matter how many times I see them, US students fees frightens me to death.