Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Which series do you miss most?
Stargazer 2 2.17%
SCE/CoE 22 23.91%
IKS Gorkon/Klingon Empire 20 21.74%
Vanguard 27 29.35%
New Frontier 25 27.17%
Myriad Universes 23 25.00%
Mirror Universe 5 5.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 9 2013, 06:45 PM   #31
Reanok
Commodore

Re: What concluded series do you miss the most?

I voted for the Myriad Universe novels I really liked the stories like Chimes at Midnight and the Mirror universe stories too.I wish they would come out with another story collection ofnews stories in the Myriad universe series.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 07:37 PM   #32
CaptPapa
Commander

I never really thought about it as such, but I must admit I really enjoyed (and so I miss) the short fiction form. I enjoyed much of Strange New Worlds, and Mirror and Myriad Universes.
Old September 9 2013, 08:08 PM   #33
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Quimby wrote: View Post
I would buy as many Myriad Universe titles as they were willing to release. Love those.
So would I, but not as eBooks, as another poster said.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 08:14 PM   #34
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Thrawn wrote: View Post
My vote, though, would actually go to stories set within the TV shows TNG, DS9, Voyager, and ENT. I think if you were clever you could find some really interesting spaces to fill...in particular, I'd LOVE a book set in between the first two or three episodes of TNG, retroactively connecting character arcs to the more stilted writing and performing back then. It seems weird to me that TOS books set within the 5 year mission do so well, but they're not publishing any similarly-set 24th century novels.
Agreed. I've been saying this for years, but have about given up that it'll ever happen. They don't have to go back to them exclusively, just make special events out of them. Sales might go up that way, but as I said, I doubt it.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:18 AM   #35
JD
Admiral

Mimi wrote: View Post
If DS9 relaunch was apart of the poll, that would have inevitably got my vote as well.
I've always though of Rough Beasts of Empire, Plauges of Night and Raise the Dawn, and now Revelation and Dust (most likely, I haven't read it yet) as part of the DS9 Relaunch, so the thought didn't even cross my mind when I put the poll together.
I too would love to get a book set after The Soul Key that actually resolves the Ascendants. We've gotten a bunch of hints, but I want the whole story!

My vote, though, would actually go to stories set within the TV shows TNG, DS9, Voyager, and ENT. I think if you were clever you could find some really interesting spaces to fill...in particular, I'd LOVE a book set in between the first two or three episodes of TNG, retroactively connecting character arcs to the more stilted writing and performing back then. It seems weird to me that TOS books set within the 5 year mission do so well, but they're not publishing any similarly-set 24th century novels.
I wish I had included that. I would love to see the current batch of authors tackle some stories set during the non-TOS TV series.
Old September 10 2013, 01:13 PM   #36
Relayer1
Commodore

Looking at the series listed, it did occur to me that many of these could relatively easily be continued without a book of their own as guest spots or subplots.

Articles didn't sell that well, but Bacco's story has continued without an 'Articles II'.

Come on authors - pick up some threads !
Old September 10 2013, 03:54 PM   #37
jpv2000
Captain

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Looking at the series listed, it did occur to me that many of these could relatively easily be continued without a book of their own as guest spots or subplots.

Articles didn't sell that well, but Bacco's story has continued without an 'Articles II'.

Come on authors - pick up some threads !
I second this idea.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:27 PM   #38
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

I too would love to get a book set after The Soul Key that actually resolves the Ascendants. We've gotten a bunch of hints, but I want the whole story!

Yes! If only because I happen to have a Voyager story set around the first few episodes I really want to tell at some point.

We're hitting TNG's 30th in two years, then it's rolling for the others from then on. Maybe a good point to do it, even if they're one-offs for the celebration.

I went for New Frontier, because it's the only one I've read even though that's just six books. Plus from what I've gathered on here, it doesn't end properly compared to something like Vanguard.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:33 PM   #39
oddment
Ensign

I'm going to choose an odd one: Challenger

I really enjoyed New Earth when they came out and was excited when the Gateways series came out and it had a Challenger installment. I didn't have the internet back then and would go to the bookstore monthly just to check if there was a new Challenger book. After a while I took a hiatus from reading Trek and when I got back into it a couple years ago I looked online and discovered that Challenger was never really given a chance, which really disappointed me because New Earth was what really got me into Trek Lit. Once getting back into Trek Lit I've started to read New Frontier and have really gotten into that so I selected that on the poll. I've only just finished the Excalibur Trilogy (thought the 2nd installment, Renaissance, was the worst Star Trek book I've read so far, but otherwise they have been some of the best Trek I've ever read.) though...
oddment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:39 PM   #40
CaffeineAddict
Lieutenant Commander

New Frontier, definitely. Some of the plots may have been far-fetched, but it just had such a great cast of characters that iId love to see again.
CaffeineAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:44 PM   #41
oddment
Ensign

Also the more I've been reading on these board the more I discover that people didn't feel the same way about New Earth/Challenger as I do. Back then Diane Carey was my favorite Trek author and I've found it strange that people don't really care for her. Though I've got Ship of the Line in Hardcover and the Voyager Captain's Table sitting on my bookshelf unread that people usually bring up when discussing her, perhaps I should crack on of those open and see what the fuss is about. Anyways sorry about the potential derail of the thread, back on topic I've also read the first Vanguard and ordered the second, it seems like it's going to be a fun series to read, and if it is only 8 books because they had a story to tell and didn't want to drag it out I respect that. I was happy during Season 3 or 4 of LOST when they said that they were only doing 6 seasons because dragging out the story for the sake of dragging it out is never a good thing.
oddment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:50 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

oddment wrote: View Post
I was happy during Season 3 or 4 of LOST when they said that they were only doing 6 seasons because dragging out the story for the sake of dragging it out is never a good thing.
The problem there is that they were already dragging it out for the sake of dragging it out before the first season even ended. There was a point when you could tell that the show's success had sunk in and the network had told them to stretch out their story arcs to fit the longer run the show was now expected to have -- because up to that point, the characters had been growing and evolving, but suddenly they just started backsliding and going into holding patterns. Sometime early in the second season, I just lost interest and stopped watching.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 10:27 PM   #43
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post

The problem there is that they were already dragging it out for the sake of dragging it out before the first season even ended. There was a point when you could tell that the show's success had sunk in and the network had told them to stretch out their story arcs to fit the longer run the show was now expected to have -- because up to that point, the characters had been growing and evolving, but suddenly they just started backsliding and going into holding patterns. Sometime early in the second season, I just lost interest and stopped watching.

Just like with Smallville. Really, once Jonathan Kent died, none of the characters really grew, especially Clark: he just seemed to stay still from early-Season 5 till the producers finally decided it was time for the cape and tights in Season 10.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 11:15 PM   #44
shanejayell
Captain

Voted SCE. I really think that it would be interesting to do more with them.. or at LEAST catch up with them. I'm love to see a SCE presence in The Fall, even.
Old September 10 2013, 11:54 PM   #45
zarkon
Captain

I miss NF the most. Can't believe I've been reading them for almost a decade and a half and pocket nixed it on a cliffhanger :/

I would love to read more IKS/Empire books, and SCE as long as it involves Tev. Lots of Tev. he has far more berating left to do