Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 9 2014, 04:17 PM   #1
MarsWeeps
Captain

Scotty and.....Tribblecide!!!

Ok, the other tribble post got me to thinking about what Scotty did with all the tribbles that were on board the Enterprise. Kirk had asked him if he beamed them out into space, Scotty replied that "it would be inhuman."

Well, what exactly did he think would happen to them when he beamed them aboard the Klingon ship? Did he think the Klingons would lovingly collect them all & provide proper care for them until they found them new homes? I'm sure beaming them out into space would have been a more "humane" solution compared to what the Klingons did to them. Shame on you Scotty!!

Here is the transcript:

KIRK: Mister Scott. Where are the tribbles?
SCOTT: I used the transporter, Captain.
KIRK: You used the transporter?
SCOTT: Aye.
KIRK: Where did you transport them? Scott, you didn't transport them into space, did you?
SCOTT: Captain Kirk, that'd be inhuman.
KIRK: Where are they?
SCOTT: I gave them a good home, sir.
KIRK: (shouting) Where?
SCOTT: I gave them to the Klingons, sir.
KIRK: (a whisper) You gave them to the Klingons?
SCOTT: Aye, sir. Before they went into warp, I transported the whole kit and caboodle into their engine room, where they'll be no tribble at all.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Re: Scotty and.....Tribblecide!!!

That's the joke.
Old August 9 2014, 04:47 PM   #3
MarsWeeps
Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
That's the joke.
I think "the joke" was that most people would know that the tribbles annoyed the hell out of the Klingons but didn't really think of what the final outcome would be.

We see Kirk laughing at the end, knowing the fate of the Tribbles would be an ugly one and not caring much about it.

I find it puzzling to think that this is the same Kirk who protected the mother Horta and even threatened to kill in order to save her - (The first man that fires is dead!)

My "happy ending" to the story is the Klingons beamed the tribbles out into space and (being the resilient little creatures that they are,) they went into hibernation mode that allowed them to survive in space long enough for Kirk (who had a change of heart and was tracking the Klingon ship) to save the tribbles and transported them to a safe haven.

Yep, that allows me to sleep at night!
Old August 9 2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Tribbles breed faster than an Internet meme and are just as annoying if not more than the latest ingenious Grumpy Cat offering.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Tarek71
Commander

Exactly. There is no doubt that the Klingons killed every one of them. Whether they stomped them to death, beamed them into space or exterminated them with disruptors hardly matters. Scotty acted like he was being a clever boy doing that, but it was obviously a death sentence for them.
Old August 9 2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

The joke is that the crew was happy to get rid of them. In other words, they hated the tribbles by then.
Old August 9 2014, 04:58 PM   #7
Gov Kodos
Admiral

By Kirk's chicken sandwich and coffee, these things must die!
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 05:47 PM   #8
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

I know it's just a light-hearted ending to the episode, but what I can't see is how Scotty would have had time to do this without Kirk knowing about it. The job of beaming out all those tribbles would have been along the lines of the whole crew beaming down in This Side of Paradise! Yes, sir, it would!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Scotty's rapidity in solving the problem is one of the so-called comedic beats in the episode, such as they were.
Old August 9 2014, 06:15 PM   #10
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

It's worse. Much worse, of course.

Some of the tribbles survived, cause ecological disasters and were driven into extinction.

Way to go Scotty!

The real question is...how the **** do they get into ventilation systems and food replicators?
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 06:45 PM   #11
Timo
Admiral

Well, there must have been a massive tribble-control operation ongoing anyway - the heroes wouldn't have let the problem stand. Supposedly, with the entire crew available, the heroes could simply pick up all the tribbles, much faster than poor Cyrano Jones, and lock them up somewhere. The only thing Scotty would do without informing Kirk would be the Final Solution of making them the Klingons' problem.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 06:54 PM   #12
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
Well, there must have been a massive tribble-control operation ongoing anyway - the heroes wouldn't have let the problem stand. Supposedly, with the entire crew available, the heroes could simply pick up all the tribbles, much faster than poor Cyrano Jones, and lock them up somewhere. The only thing Scotty would do without informing Kirk would be the Final Solution of making them the Klingons' problem.

Timo Saloniemi
The flip side of my blaming Scotty for dooming millions of Klingons to starvation and getting all tribbles wiped out...maybe the Klingons were on the verge of massive invasion when the Tribble Disaster struck. Or maybe they had to start up a risky energy system on Praxis because of resource problems.

Scotty is single-handedly responsible for the Klingons and Feds being fast allies!
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2014, 07:16 PM   #13
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
We see Kirk laughing at the end, knowing the fate of the Tribbles would be an ugly one and not caring much about it.

I find it puzzling to think that this is the same Kirk who protected the mother Horta and even threatened to kill in order to save her - (The first man that fires is dead!)
The Horta was an intelligent, sensitive creature. As far as Kirk was concerned, tribbles were vermin.

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
The real question is...how the **** do they get into ventilation systems and food replicators?
Have you seen some of the places rats, mice and raccoons can get into?
Old August 9 2014, 07:53 PM   #14
MarsWeeps
Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
The Horta was an intelligent, sensitive creature. As far as Kirk was concerned, tribbles were vermin.
Why should that matter? To paraphrase Gillian in ST:III - "My compassion for a creature is not limited to its intelligence."
Old August 9 2014, 08:04 PM   #15
urbandefault
Captain

The Klingons were already guilty of Tribble murder, via poisoning of the super space wheat. Scotty simply gave them a few (thousand) more so they would have a reason to find a Glommer and return for another episode a few years later.