A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 8 2013, 02:51 PM   #16
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Why does it feel like Smith's run has been way shorter than Tennan

Andrew_Kearley wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Tennant had more presence during his term than Smith has. Tennant's seasons aired on a regular schedule and in a complete run. As opposed to Smith whose seasons have been all over the place and split.

Plus there's merchandising. Tennant had 57 novels and 7 audio books. Smith has 32 novels although he does have 14 audio books.
Are you counting things like the Quick Reads, Darksmith Legacy and Decide Your Destiny to get to those figures?
Yes, I am. But even if you just focus on the NSAs, Tennant had 30 and Smith has 18. Maybe only 15, depending on if you count the "adult" hardcovers as part of the NSA line or not.
Old September 8 2013, 02:56 PM   #17
DWF
Vice Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
Tenant's first episode was at the end of 2005. I don't count doctors first appearances at the end of episodes, I count them from their first episode that they star in.
Well I just think it's that Tennant's Doctor had a greater impact on some and it's a bad reflection on Smith actually.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books

Last edited by DWF; September 8 2013 at 05:37 PM.
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:06 PM   #18
MacLeod
Admiral

As others have said it's rather simple

DT 2005-2010
MS 2010-2013

So purely by years DT did it for longer. As CE only did one season DT sort of established himself as the Doctor of this era of the show.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:30 PM   #19
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I call bullshit on Steven Moffat, The Eleventh Doctor has not been around for that long.
The character doesn't exist outside of Steven Moffat-mandated stories, where he is quite obviously around for that long, so I don't see where your feeling comes from.
Old September 8 2013, 04:01 PM   #20
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Tennant had 57 novels and 7 audio books. Smith has 32 novels although he does have 14 audio books.
Are you counting things like the Quick Reads, Darksmith Legacy and Decide Your Destiny to get to those figures?
Yes, I am. But even if you just focus on the NSAs, Tennant had 30 and Smith has 18. Maybe only 15, depending on if you count the "adult" hardcovers as part of the NSA line or not.
No problem, including everything is my bag, after all. (Mind you, I think including Decide Your Destiny will get Smith 36 novels.) The other area where Smith is under-represented compared to Tennant is in short-form prose. The loss of the Storybooks after 2010 means that there's been quite a dearth of this. Shame.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 04:41 PM   #21
Konata Izumi
Commander

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I call bullshit on Steven Moffat, The Eleventh Doctor has not been around for that long.
The character doesn't exist outside of Steven Moffat-mandated stories, where he is quite obviously around for that long, so I don't see where your feeling comes from.
Read the rest of his post.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 05:53 PM   #22
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

To me it's simly because we've had split runs with gaps between them. So although we've had as many episodes the shorter runs makes it feel like fewer.
Old September 8 2013, 07:43 PM   #23
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

There's the small matter also that we're all getting older. The older we get, the quicker time flies in. When I was younger, e.g. the seven years or so of Star Trek:TNG seemed to run forever; now that I'm an old fart, it's hard to believe that Doctor Who has been back on air for 8 years. The years Tennant was on air ran in more slowly than the last 4 or so because I was younger.
Old September 8 2013, 10:39 PM   #24
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

^Yeah, there might be something to that. I guess when I think about how much older I am now than I was back then (30 vs. 23), it's a more signficant difference than it feels like when I don't look at the actual numbers.

I don't follow the action figures that much, but there doesn't seem to be as many related to Smith's era as there was for Tennant's, but I could be wrong about that.
I don't follow the action figures that well myself. But I do peruse through the Doctor Who figures whenever I pop by Toy Anxiety or a local convention. Actually, I've found that it's nearly impossible to find a 10th Doctor figure, whereas there are a few 11th Doctor figures here & there. As for figures from each era, it's hard to judge because it feels like all I can ever find are endless copies of Branagan from "Gridlock" & River from "The Pandoria Opens"/"The Big Bang"!

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Mainly, though, I think it's something you didn't cite -- Moffat's arc-based storytelling, which has made Smith's era feel "tighter" than any other Doctor Who era.
There's something to that. Many episodes from Moffat's era have been directly connected to his main story arcs. Whereas episodes during the RTD era tended to be all over the place and mostly stand-alone-ish until the big 2-part finale.

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Also Eccleston series was more directly a part of Tennant's.
True. Really, the only major difference between Season 1 & Season 2 is the Doctor himself. In some ways, Season 1 feels like a Tennant season that Tennant himself just happens not to be in. I wonder if, given some time and distance, the Smith & Capaldi eras will start to blend into each other in the same way that the Eccleston & Tennant years have.

Well, aren't' you technical. But three months is still a while.
Three months is a little while but not nearly as much of a difference as it feels like.

My theory is that the doctor has no clue what his age is as you know, time machine, and it's possible he's only even about 100-150 years old.
Yeah. I kind of suspect that the Doctor is just making up his age as he goes along.
Old September 9 2013, 03:27 AM   #25
The Wormhole
Admiral

No problem, including everything is my bag, after all. (Mind you, I think including Decide Your Destiny will get Smith 36 novels.)
I was using this list as a reference which gives Smith a total of 32 novels with NSA, Quick Read, 2 in 1 and Decide Your Destiny all counted.

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I don't follow the action figures that much, but there doesn't seem to be as many related to Smith's era as there was for Tennant's, but I could be wrong about that.
I don't follow the action figures that well myself. But I do peruse through the Doctor Who figures whenever I pop by Toy Anxiety or a local convention. Actually, I've found that it's nearly impossible to find a 10th Doctor figure, whereas there are a few 11th Doctor figures here & there. As for figures from each era, it's hard to judge because it feels like all I can ever find are endless copies of Branagan from "Gridlock" & River from "The Pandoria Opens"/"The Big Bang"!
I just remember there being more variety to the action figures in Tennant's run, like box sets featuring the Cult of Skaro Daleks with Genesis Ark, a Doomsday set including Dalek Sec, a Cyberman and the Doctor wearing 3-D glasses, and the lift car from The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit. I don't think I've seen anything other than the standard action figures for Smith's run. Hell, the only box set I remember hearing about is a Victory of the Daleks set with a Dalek and Churchill that was a Comic Con exclusive, I think.

Of course, another thing to remember is that back during Tennant's run he was the only Doctor getting any new merchandise. Aside from DVDs and audio dramas the classic Doctors got no real attention. Since Smith took over, the classic Doctors have begun getting new merchandise again.
Old September 9 2013, 09:27 AM   #26
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

I was using this list as a reference which gives Smith a total of 32 novels with NSA, Quick Read, 2 in 1 and Decide Your Destiny all counted.
Ah, I see what they've done there. They've counted the first two 2in1 books (the ones with the reversible covers) as two titles each, but they've counted the next four 2in1 books only once with their overall titles. Inconsistent! I tend to use this list which was compiled by an expert.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 09:28 AM   #27
.:: TSN ::.
Lieutenant Commander

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Also Eccleston series was more directly a part of Tennant's.
Heck, I think you could even throw "Torchwood" in there, too. Even though the Doctor wasn't really a character in that show, it was clearly a part of the same Who universe and made Tennant's run that much more expansive.
And Sarah Jane spinoff. Clearly more part of Tennant era than Smiths.
.:: TSN ::. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:03 PM   #28
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Well, aren't' you technical. But three months is still a while.

And I refuse to believe Smith has been around for like 200 or 300 years and he's barley aged, yet you can tell Tennant "matured" a bit since his first appearance. I call bullshit on Steven Moffat, The Eleventh Doctor has not been around for that long. He would have gotten bored with the Ponds in that time. He wouldn't have kept re appearing. My theory is that the doctor has no clue what his age is as you know, time machine, and it's possible he's only even about 100-150 years old. And his first 100 or 50 years was as the first Doctor, mainly on Gallifrey.
The on screen dialogue disagrees with you, therefor you are wrong.
Old September 10 2013, 02:28 PM   #29
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

OT to: P0sitr0nic

I like HurtDoctor's PimpDaddy Priest outfit in your Avatar so much, I'm going to be sorely disappointed with the Anniversary Special when he doesn't wear it

Although I believe GreenLantern goes too far with it, I happen to agree, I don't believe The Doctor really knows how old he is. We saw in Power Of Three how rambunctious The Doctor is, and how he can't sit still for more than 30 seconds and in two minutes can accomplish hours worth of stuff. Being a Time Traveler (In 1963 at 8am on Earth one minute, and 5 minutes later being in the year 3535 on some planet halfway across the Universe at 10pm at night, in one month experiencing a lifetime of "Big Events"), he really doesn't have anything to judge how much time has passed at any given point, especially with even Gallifrey being gone. (which with Gallifrey being around, at least he had some "fixed Point" to judge by)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 02:31 PM   #30
The Wormhole
Admiral

The whole thing about the Doctor not knowing how old he really is is a fine enough way to explain the various age inconsistencies which have popped up over the series. But that really only applies to his TARDIS life. Presumably before him and Susan left Gallifrey, he spent his entire life there with the exceptions of the occasional Time Lord field trip, so he'd have an accurate way to keep track of how old he was. Then once he ran off in the TARDIS and it became impossible to track the progression of time from his perspective, he began pulling random numbers and giving them as his age. But I'm guessing he could have been a couple of hundred years old before, since the first Doctor's regeneration was the result of dying of natural causes.