Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 7 2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Sran
Fleet Captain

"Kirk, You Do This, You'll Never Sit in the Captain's Chair Again."

Spoken by Captain Styles just before the Enterprise goes to warp. But why? Styles clearly had no love for Kirk or what he was doing, repeatedly touting his ship as being superior to the Enterprise ("Looking forward to breaking some of Enterprise's speed records tomorrow."; "If he tries to get away with warp drive, he's really in for a shock."). And it seems unlikely Styles himself had the authority to take away Kirk's commission.

No doubt his testimony about the Excelsior's sabotage and Kirk's refusal to stand down helped the Federation Council compile their list of charges against Kirk and his friends, but that's most likely where Styles involvement in the situation would have ended. After all, he had his own problems to worry about (Excelsior repairs and embarrassment over being outmaneuvered by Kirk and Scotty). So why say anything? Or was the line merely a plot device to underscore the finality of what Kirk was about to do? In other words, drive home the point that if Kirk wants to save Spock, he's throwing away his career in the process.

--Sran
Old September 7 2013, 11:49 PM   #2
SeerSGB
Admiral

Re: "Kirk, You Do This, You'll Never Sit in the Captain's Chair Again.

Plot device. Styles was driving home that what Kirk and Co. were doing would probably be the end of their Starfleet careers. He was trying to reason with Kirk.

And he was right. Had the Whalesong Probe not shown up, it's a safe bet Kirk would have been shuffled out into retirement (if not jail) and the rest of the bridge crew shuffle into menial jobs to run out the clock.

Last edited by SeerSGB; September 8 2013 at 01:11 AM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 11:56 PM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Styles is one of those types of people who is frequently referred to by an unflattering and perhaps vulgar term. He's obviously not a believer in Wil Wheaton's motto, "Don't be a dick."
Old September 8 2013, 01:05 AM   #4
jpv2000
Captain

The always awesome Kirk made a liar out of Styles no matter how you cut it.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 01:13 AM   #5
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

How is this different than see a cop yelling "If you do this, Rocco you'll never see the outside of a prison again!!!" The cop has no idea what Rocco sentence might actually be, but he can speculate and use that to try and stop Rocco. Same for Styles and Kirk.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 01:20 AM   #6
Sran
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
How is this different than see a cop yelling "If you do this, Rocco you'll never see the outside of a prison again!!!" The cop has no idea what Rocco sentence might actually be, but he can speculate and use that to try and stop Rocco. Same for Styles and Kirk.
Where I draw a distinction is that Styles is seen gloating at other times in the film, which leaves me with the impression that he sees himself as superior to Kirk and the Enterprise crew. Not that there aren't snooty police officers, but I'd imagine most patrol officers don't inject a personal element into a situation. They're doing their jobs, but nothing more than that.

--Sran
Old September 8 2013, 01:22 AM   #7
Opus
Commodore

Love that line. Styles says it as Kirk takes his seat in the captain's chair and orders warp speed.

Don't read so much into it. It's just a writing device.

Classic!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 01:49 AM   #8
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Sran wrote: View Post
Where I draw a distinction is that Styles is seen gloating at other times in the film, which leaves me with the impression that he sees himself as superior to Kirk and the Enterprise crew. Not that there aren't snooty police officers, but I'd imagine most patrol officers don't inject a personal element into a situation. They're doing their jobs, but nothing more than that.

--Sran
I don't see that line as an example of Styles feeling superior, just a prediction of a likely outcome. It wasn't personal
Old September 8 2013, 01:53 AM   #9
Dream
Admiral

In the first six Trek movies, all Starfleet captains are shown as incompetent losers to better show how awesome Kirk was. Picard was the first Starfleet captain to be shown in a positive light after Kirk in a movie.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 02:21 AM   #10
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
In the first six Trek movies, all Starfleet captains are shown as incompetent losers to better show how awesome Kirk was. Picard was the first Starfleet captain to be shown in a positive light after Kirk in a movie.
Sulu did alright in TUC,
Old September 8 2013, 02:33 AM   #11
Sran
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote:
Sulu did alright in TUC,
As did Decker in TMP. If anything, it was Kirk who looked incompetent by nearly crippling the ship.

--Sran
Old September 8 2013, 02:34 AM   #12
Locutus of Bored
Easy Raptor

Styles was an arrogant fop, but I see no reason to believe that he'd want an esteemed fellow captain like Kirk to ruin his career. I took it as a genuine attempt to defuse the situation before Kirk crossed the point of no return where he'd have no way to salvage his career.

From an out-of-universe standpoint, it served to punctuate Kirk's crowning moment of awesome a second later when he ordered warp speed without hesitation, and to clearly mark what was at stake and how far Kirk was willing to go for his friend.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:16 PM   #13
jpv2000
Captain

Sulu did alright in TUC,
He did indeed.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:44 PM   #14
Gojira
Commodore

I think styles was giving Kirk an appropriate warning. You don't steal a starship without suffering some consequences. As said above, Kirk was lucky that he saved the world after stealing the starship or else he would have been severely reprimanded.

Although Styles was arrogant I don't beleive he was being that way in that moment.
Old September 8 2013, 03:57 PM   #15
Tribble puncher
Commander

Ya know?...I wonder what ever happened to the Black Female Captain (was she named?) of the Saratoga at the Beginning of STIV. I don't really see how she could have reacted differently to what happened to her ship.
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote