Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 7 2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Tribble puncher
Commander

Couldn't find a thread for this...has anyone been to see "Jobs?"

My friend went to see the film, I flat out refuse to see the movie, because I am not an Apple fan, but that discussion is for another forum.

This same friend, who Loves Apple Products, said that even he thought the film was "Like a big wet teary eulogy to Jobs, written through a lens of nostalgia and what Jobs himself would have probably liked you to believe." (His words). Anyone else have any thoughts or Reviews on the film. Supposedly Krutchter actually had some acting chops in this one.
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Couldn't find a thread for this...has anyone been to see "Jobs?"

What an odd reason not to see a film.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 12:21 AM   #3
Avon
Fleet Captain

its meant to be pretty bad. but i cant confirm that personally.

i've seen one film about an unlikable computer nerd that ended up super-rich and have no intention of seeing another

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 12:28 AM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Not going to the theater, but will probably watch it when it hits On Demand or Netflix.
Old September 8 2013, 12:29 AM   #5
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
My friend went to see the film, I flat out refuse to see the movie, because I am not an Apple fan, but that discussion is for another forum.

This same friend, who Loves Apple Products, said that even he thought the film was "Like a big wet teary eulogy to Jobs, written through a lens of nostalgia and what Jobs himself would have probably liked you to believe." (His words). Anyone else have any thoughts or Reviews on the film. Supposedly Krutchter actually had some acting chops in this one.

I second the notion that it's an odd reason not to see a movie.. i too don't like Apple and don't have any of their products but i'm interested in the movie.

You can't deny the impact his products, especially the i products like the iPod, iPhone and iPad that had a huge impact on our lives and lifestyles and the he was a very charismatic tech innovator.

If it's true however that it's just a fluff piece about him an doesn't show the full picture (apparently he could be a downright awful human being) is a bit disappointing. However i'll be definitely checking out the movie once it's on home video in some form.
Old September 8 2013, 12:29 AM   #6
Gaith
Rear Admiral

A Sorkin-written Jobs biopic is in the works. Given Jobs' middling to poor reviews, I don't see any reason not to just wait for that one.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 02:56 AM   #7
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Yeah, I will see this when it comes to Netflix, as Steve Wozniak states the film is quite filled with significant character errors, but I'm more interested in Sorkin's movie. Until then, I highly recommend The Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:27 AM   #8
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

I saw the movie, but I don't use a single Apple / iProduct these days.

Ashton Kutcher seemed to do a pretty good job as Jobs, I think, but the movie itself glosses over a lot about the man's personal life in favor of hittin' the corporate highlights.
Old September 8 2013, 04:39 AM   #9
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

I recently finished Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs, which the Sorkin version is supposed to be based upon. The reviews I read of the current movie gave the impression that it was a "greatest-hits" sort of montage, with characters saying through dialogue things that would have been better shown in actions. I think I will wait.
Old September 8 2013, 07:32 AM   #10
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

J. Allen wrote: View Post
... I highly recommend The Pirates of Silicon Valley.
Seconded. Actually quite astonishingly good for a "made for TV movie".
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 07:42 AM   #11
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

I saw Jobs last week. It was fucking awful.

Venardhi wrote: View Post
... I highly recommend The Pirates of Silicon Valley.
Seconded. Actually quite astonishingly good for a "made for TV movie".
Thirded, Wyle and AMH are both fantastic in it.

There's also Bob Cringely's documentary, Triumph of the Nerds, that came out around the same time.
Old September 8 2013, 12:59 PM   #12
cardinal biggles
Danny Donkey hates you

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Gaith wrote: View Post
A Sorkin-written Jobs biopic is in the works. Given Jobs' middling to poor reviews, I don't see any reason not to just wait for that one.
Also waiting for the Sorkin film. According to an interview he gave, Sorkin is taking a similar approach to the one Tony Kushner took with Lincoln, and limiting the film's scope — it will be told in three moments, each before a major product launch: the original Macintosh in 1984, the NeXT computer in 1988, and the original iPod in 2001.

Yeah, I will see this when it comes to Netflix, as Steve Wozniak states the film is quite filled with significant character errors, but I'm more interested in Sorkin's movie. Until then, I highly recommend The Pirates of Silicon Valley.
I was all set to come in and say "I enjoyed it more the first time when it was called Pirates of Silicon Valley", but I see several of you beat me to it.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 03:38 AM   #13
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I agree, plus that one is based on the biography which is really good. Love the Pixar chapters. And Aaron Sorkin can't write a TV series anymore, needs to be stoned I guess, but his movies are fun.

And not seeing a movie because you don't like a brand or person (and yet still start a topic) is really bizarre. It's like not seeing a World War 2 movie because you don't like Hilter.
Old September 9 2013, 09:55 PM   #14
foxhot
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I saw Jobs last week. It was fucking awful.
Because?
Old September 11 2013, 05:12 PM   #15
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Also waiting for the Sorkin film. According to an interview he gave, Sorkin is taking a similar approach to the one Tony Kushner took with Lincoln, and limiting the film's scope — it will be told in three moments, each before a major product launch: the original Macintosh in 1984, the NeXT computer in 1988, and the original iPod in 2001.

I was all set to come in and say "I enjoyed it more the first time when it was called Pirates of Silicon Valley", but I see several of you beat me to it.
Really looking forward to the Sorkin biopic. As one of a very small handful of people I know who actually owned a NeXTstation Color Turbo back in the 90's (a system that was easily 5-10 years ahead of its time), I have found this part of the story to be lacking in the general media coverage of Jobs' life, despite the fact it was a MAJOR stepping stone to his return to Apple, bringing with him what eventually became Mac OSX - Apple's new operating system - based on the MachOS UNIX kernel, Interface Builder and Objective C - ALL NeXT inventions under Jobs, all now being used to build literally every app in the iTunes store for iPhones, iPods and iPads.

How I miss it so...