Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old October 31 2013, 01:48 PM   #136
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Pre TOS star cruiser....

^^ I have read the same thing regarding the nacelles. However, if you really look at the MJ design you can't help but notice that the nacelle domes aren't far from the saucer and it's the long slender pylons that create the illusion of the nacelles being set far from habitable parts of the ship. Note in both of my pre TOS cruiser designs the nacelle domes are similarly close to the saucer while the rest of the nacelles are set further away. Yes, there is a central section that supports the nacelles, but it's mostly the impulse engines and very little access for personnel in addition to being heavily shielded. And as starship design and construction methods evolve they will eventually be able to build seemingly fragile looking structures that are far stronger than they appear such as the engine pylons and support dorsal of MJ's design.

Last edited by Warped9; October 31 2013 at 03:22 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2013, 01:20 AM   #137
Warped9
Admiral

Here's a little comparison.

Old November 1 2013, 03:41 PM   #138
Albertese
Commodore

I love all of these.

--Alex
Old November 2 2013, 09:08 PM   #139
Warped9
Admiral

Getting near the finish line. I want to add a viewport above the hangar bay doors and some tonal variations to the hull and then this one is finished.

Old November 3 2013, 05:10 PM   #140
Warped9
Admiral

What this image shows you are the kind of 2D line images SketchUp can export. What this means is that it will allow me to recreate exact line drawings when it comes time to make the schematics. And because I'm working from an existing model I don't have to "best guess" what something is supposed to look like from different angles--SketchUp will have done that with precision already for me. Note, too, that there are some things that don't appear as lines (notably on the side of the dorsal) because those edges actually have rounded edges. A curve appears only if it appears as an edge from the p.o.v. of the viewer, in this case as seen directly in side elevation. In my models I try to incorporate a certain level of detail including edges that could actually be rounded.

Regarding window arrangement I must confess to a degree of fudging in terms of deck levels. I didn't do any sort of actual cross section to lay things out with precision. Rather I spaced out decks in a general way and then slapped in some windows along those guidelines with the general assumption the windows would be a bit more than halfway up the bulkheads. I did assume the possibility of not all decks being having the same ceiling height and between decks structures (floors/ceiling) would have a measure of mechanicals between them. I think that allows me the flexibility to rationalize why windows levels might not all be evenly spaced. One thing in particular I quite like with this kind of graphic is that it can show what something like signage and lettering correctly looks like in a 2D image. Lettering on a cylinder would actually look just a bit squashed. Seen from above the ship's name on the saucer wouldn't look straight but actually slightly curved because it's laying on a compound curve surface angling away from your p.o.v.

Last edited by Warped9; November 3 2013 at 05:31 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 01:30 AM   #141
publiusr
Commodore

You have taken Hercules forward. What may have come before? An enzmann starhip with a bulb at the head that became living quarters--pointing towards the Daedalus?
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2013, 01:32 AM   #142
Warped9
Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
You have taken Hercules forward. What may have come before? An enzmann starhip with a bulb at the head that became living quarters--pointing towards the Daedalus?
I'm shifting gears for a bit. My next project will be a TOS era ship: my take on the FJ type destroyer, what I call the Masao-class.

Before Starfleet there was UESPA who braved the vast dark...

Old November 5 2013, 04:18 PM   #143
Albertese
Commodore

For some reason, the lower left looks really fake to me... I bet it's the lighting... But the other three are freakin' awesome. You have real talent!

--Alex
Old November 5 2013, 05:18 PM   #144
Warped9
Admiral

Albertese wrote: View Post
For some reason, the lower left looks really fake to me... I bet it's the lighting... But the other three are freakin' awesome. You have real talent!

--Alex
Odd, because the lighting levels are exactly the same in all of them. Because of the slightly reflective nature of the hull it reflects some light onto other surfaces and so areas in shadow can still have a small measure of light in them. The only parts that would be completely dark are where no light could possibly be reflected onto. The background is basically a circular wall or screen image around the model, one that I sometimes have to adjust in offset (up or down) depending on the angle or view I have of the model, but no light or reflection comes off the background. The background does have some element of depth to it because I used Photoshop to create the scene in several layers and then I finished it as an HDR image. This allows me to put the model right within a more realistic setting when rendered.
Old November 5 2013, 11:59 PM   #145
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Gorgeous work as always, Warped9.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 07:32 PM   #146
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Nice work here.

That's a rather large ship for the TOS-era, isn't it?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2013, 07:37 PM   #147
Warped9
Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post
Nice work here.

That's a rather large ship for the TOS-era, isn't it?
It's deceptive because of it's chunky look. It's actually about 250 feet shorter that the TOS Enterprise and correspondingly not as wide or tall either.
Old November 9 2013, 09:05 PM   #148
publiusr
Commodore

Spot on.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2013, 05:04 AM   #149
-SS-
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to -SS-

You've created a beautiful and believable lineage in these ships. I really love them.
Old November 13 2013, 05:29 AM   #150
Warped9
Admiral

-SS- wrote: View Post
You've created a beautiful and believable lineage in these ships. I really love them.
Thanks. It occured to me today that this is one of the few things that has stayed with me as long as I can remember. I've been drawing spaceships since I can recall first holding a pencil and I've never stopped being fascinated with it.