Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 8 2013, 01:19 AM   #211
geneo
Lieutenant

Re: Orci strikes back

What in the world is the fascination with the "F" word here. Can't this board be PG rated or better for the entire family to be able to read, not just so called "adults".
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 01:28 AM   #212
Opus
Commodore

'F' word?

As in 'Fans'?
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 01:40 AM   #213
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

geneo wrote: View Post
What in the world is the fascination with the "F" word here. Can't this board be PG rated or better for the entire family to be able to read, not just so called "adults".
The mod already told you that if you want to discuss this you can start a thread in the QS&F (the F stands for F-Word) Forum, but not to continue to raise the issue in regular discussion threads and derail them.

But most people don't have a problem with its use, and the vast majority of our members are in fact adults, and not just "so called" ones.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 03:16 AM   #214
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Indeed. Plenty of adults swear. I live by this axiom:

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

So at the very least, I'm in good company.

As for Bob Orci, I think it was enough to make him lash out, and that's all. Most of us have reached a point where we simply do not feel like taking shit from someone who thinks they just know better, regardless of how little they actually know. Orci reached that point. Plus, he went back and apologized. That's more than some would do.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 04:15 AM   #215
st4ever
Cadet

I don't blame Orci for his reaction. I rather like STID, a lot. But upon first viewing, I wasn't sure how to feel about it stepping over my precious WOK, which is my favorite movie of all movies, period. After a 2nd viewing, I have accepted STID for what it is, but even if I hated it, I would not act like a jerk-off, because I'm afraid that kind of attitude does not represent what the core of Star Trek is really about, so I am actually embarrassed to be a fan at the moment with those kind of insults and attitudes from other fans.
st4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 05:24 AM   #216
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Most if it comes from passion, fans have put a lot of heart and soul into Trek, and Orci has as well, presumably. Sure, passionate people are dicks sometimes, but they're also authors, and artists, and engineers. Long story short, passion is a double edged sword, and on the internet there's no such thing as a scabbard. For whatever reason, it's tougher to back down on the web. I can't offer an explanation, it just is.

But.

I don't think the core of Star Trek is about rejecting others based on their views, comments, or behaviors. At least, not the Star Trek I grew up with. Maybe yours was different.
Old September 9 2013, 06:53 PM   #217
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
And it's annoying how many fans think Orci was in the wrong for defending himself. Is this really the face we want on fandom: entitled, spoiled, brats.
I'll ask again: which part of the original article says "entitled, spoiled brat" to you?

Whether you agree with the editorial or not, it was entirely reasonable in tone.

Orci's response, by contrast, "I get to write movies, yo, and you don't!" was completely unreasonable and reflects very poorly on the man. It makes him no better than the worst poster you could find on this forum.
Old September 9 2013, 07:02 PM   #218
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
And it's annoying how many fans think Orci was in the wrong for defending himself. Is this really the face we want on fandom: entitled, spoiled, brats.
I'll ask again: which part of the original article says "entitled, spoiled brat" to you?

Whether you agree with the editorial or not, it was entirely reasonable in tone.

Orci's response, by contrast, "I get to write movies, yo, and you don't!" was completely unreasonable and reflects very poorly on the man. It makes him no better than the worst poster you could find on this forum.
I believe Bob was not just responding to a poorly framed article but also other comments in that thread.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 07:10 PM   #219
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post

I believe Bob was not just responding to a poorly framed article but also other comments in that thread.
Agreed. His first response in post #127 where he simply says "fascinating".
Old September 9 2013, 08:01 PM   #220
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

I find the overreaction to what Orci said to be hilarious. You'd think Star Trek was a religion based on how some fans treat it. They need a good slap back to reality.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 08:13 PM   #221
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
So you're saying movie and television makers should be sued for telling little white lies while trying to protect spoilers on their projects? That seems like a rational position.
Don't know if this counts as "sassing the mods," so please forgive me. I'm about to sass you (who so happens to be a mod) for your completely out-to-left-field response. I'm tired of your literal interpretations of my posts. You clearly fail to see the underlying meaning of them, beyond the words written on the page.

First, there is a clear difference between a working title of a project, and denying something that clearly isn't true. No explicit details were released about "Blue Harvest," so your comparison is completely off.

Now, back to Trek. Saying that Cumberbatch isn't playing Khan is meant as a deception, and nothing more. They were trying to generate "controversy" or "mystery," or whatever they wanted to call it. But in plain English: it was a lie. And they knew they could do it, because they were just "fricking" with the public, and no matter what, they'd still make as much money regardless of what they said.

Second, saying the apple in the Kobayashi Maru scene in ST09 was a "total coincidence" to the scene in TWOK where Kirk is talking about the Kobayashi Maru test is completely disingenuous, at the VERY least. It suggests they think the fans are morons. Was the was nuKirk empathetically chomped down on the apple coincidence, considering Prime Kirk did so in an identical fashion?

As Admiral Marcus would say (in another life): "Your move, creep."
Could you point to a direct quote from Orci, Abrams or any of the other Producers, Directors, Writers, etc, where they actually denied Cumberbatch was playing Khan? I don't remember that happening, and, as a matter of fact, that is, as far as what I remember, what kept the rumors alive, was that they didn't ever actually deny it.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 08:19 PM   #222
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

I actually didn't think Orci's reaction was that big a deal. In the context of the situation, he was getting hit with complaints from some of the "fans" in that thread, and one person, in particular, engaged him with a displeasure of the movie.

When Orci asked the person to recount the plot of the film or some semblance of a summary, all the person did was continue to complain and skirt the issue.

Sometimes, you have to be blunt when confronted with stupidity. What Orci said was true, to me: he gets to write and work on the movies, we don't. Beyond that, if you want to have a discussion with someone, have something to go from and not just some baseless argument.

Orci is arrogant, I'll admit from seeing some of his tweets and some of his comments here and there, but the person on Trekmovie had Orci's attention and the opportunity to give an intelligent argument as to why they didn't like the movie. They squandered that opportunity.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 08:46 PM   #223
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Could you point to a direct quote from Orci, Abrams or any of the other Producers, Directors, Writers, etc, where they actually denied Cumberbatch was playing Khan? I don't remember that happening, and, as a matter of fact, that is, as far as what I remember, what kept the rumors alive, was that they didn't ever actually deny it.
I think there was an early denial by one of the filmmakers that Benicio del Toro was up for the part of Khan.

After that went away and Cumberbatch's casting had been announced, there were quoted remarks by Alice Eve and (I think?) Simon Pegg to the effect that he wasn't playing Khan. At around the same time, however, wasn't there also an article relating how Cumberbatch hadn't been told the true identity of "John Harrison" until his part in the filming was nearly completed? If it wasn't in BC's copy of the script and it wasn't in anyone else's, Eve and Pegg may have sincerely believed they were correct.

Dat ol' Mystery Box shore be mysterious.
Old September 9 2013, 08:51 PM   #224
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

How about the man himself:
http://www.accesshollywood.com/bened..._article_73762

Benedict Cumberbatch wrote:
I play a character called John and not that other name.
For me, "not that other name" is just the same as saying "I'm not playing Kahn." He lied. But so what? I don't care. I expect it from Hollywood in reaction to fans who feel they have a right to intrude upon the private wishes of studios and artists. Well, I guess I care, but I don't expect anything to be true. When is a Hollywood executive lying? I think you all know the answer.

Also:

Simon Pegg wrote:
"It’s not Khan,” replies Pegg, annoyed. “That’s a myth. Everyone’s saying it is, but it’s not."
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=60621
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 08:59 PM   #225
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
How about the man himself:
http://www.accesshollywood.com/bened..._article_73762

Benedict Cumberbatch wrote:
I play a character called John and not that other name.
For me, "not that other name" is just the same as saying "I'm not playing Kahn." He lied. But so what? I don't care. I expect it from Hollywood in reaction to fans who feel they have a right to intrude upon the private wishes of studios and artists. Well, I guess I care, but I don't expect anything to be true. When is a Hollywood executive lying? I think you all know the answer.

Also:

Simon Pegg wrote:
"It’s not Khan,” replies Pegg, annoyed. “That’s a myth. Everyone’s saying it is, but it’s not."
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=60621
I can understand the reasoning behind being less than truthful with this fanbase constantly bashing every move that's made. They simply don't want a bunch of bad publicity before the movie is released.