Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do fans want the prime timeline back?
I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back. 210 56.76%
I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back. 61 16.49%
I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back. 39 10.54%
I don't care, just give me Trek! 53 14.32%
I don't know. 7 1.89%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 14 2014, 06:15 PM   #1201
NeroShrimp
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to NeroShrimp
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

I commend JJ for including Spock Prime. He didn't have to include him in it.
NeroShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 06:25 PM   #1202
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Actually...

But that was a band-aid done years after "Endgame" and isn't canon to begin with. When "Endgame" was written, there was no thought given to the Time Cops. They were ignored in the episode just like they were ignored in Star Trek(2009).
Old July 14 2014, 06:32 PM   #1203
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

The "prime" timeline ("primeline" ?) was never taken away.

You still have the six TV series on DVD and mostly on Blu-Ray. All are available in their entirety on Netflix streaming, as are the majority of the films (I think TMP and TUC are the only ones not on streaming at the moment.)

If that's not enough, the writers of the novels have continued to churn out book after book since 2009, set in -- wait for it -- in the "prime" timeline.

What's more, fan film after fan film is being produced and released at an increasingly quickened pace, all of which are set in the legen--wait for it, I hope you aren't lactose intolerant because the next word is --dary "prime timeline. What's more, these fan films (well, some of them anyway) are actually quite good.

So I refute this stupid insistence that two films have suddenly eliminated or prevented any more of the "prime" timeline. Anyone who watched the 2009 film and paid attention can easily see that the filmmakers went out of their way and bent over backwards to preserve the damn "prime" timeline. We're just not focusing on it right now.

But no DVDs have been recalled. No Blu-Rays are listed on moratirium in the Paramount vaults. No books have been discontinued and this massive library of 726 episodes and 12 films have NOT been retired from availability.
In summation:

You can't have the "prime" timeline "back" because it was never taken away from you.

Last edited by doubleohfive; July 14 2014 at 06:50 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 06:41 PM   #1204
NeroShrimp
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to NeroShrimp

Maple Dog wrote: View Post
Simple in my opinion,Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise presented us with the Starfleet temporal police,which main job is to correct any temporal incursion,so where were they in the story when ST2009 was made,they should have stopped Nero before he attacked the USS Kelvin,JJ Abrams can't say he was not aware of that in Star Trek.
There was no way of knowing what the result would be when Nero attacked Spock. Remember, Spock was trying to prevent a super nova, not go back in time. What happened with Nero and Spock happened so fast there was no way to prevent what occured.
NeroShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 07:03 PM   #1205
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
changing the status quo and moving the universe forward
Yes, that's non-prime universe I was referring to. If you like the completely new ships and the completely new crews great, but I would want stories about the ships and crews seen on the show.
Except TNG and DS9 were already likely going to introduce new characters seeing as some of the mains left in their last onscreen adventures.

They don't get to ignore the onscreen stuff just becuase some fans are afraid of change.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 07:38 PM   #1206
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

NeroShrimp;9835867The thing that people want to see is what is happening in the prime universe. The timeline that Spock Prime came from is the Star Trek we all know and love and grew up with. Others, including myself, would just like to see the prime universe after the actions seen in [i wrote:
Nemesis[/I].
That's what some people want to see, but not all fans and certainly not the majority of viewers.

We shouldn't necessarily assume that tens of millions of TV viewers are desperately waiting to find out what happened to the Federation after Nemesis . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; July 14 2014 at 10:25 PM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 07:53 PM   #1207
Ryan8bit
Commodore

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
You can't have the "prime" timeline "back" because it was never taken away from you.
I think it's pretty clear that the question is framed as whether one wants to see new movies/TV in the old continuity (Vulcan intact, Romulus destroyed).

I don't think anybody is saying anything was erased or taken away from them.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
We shouldn't necessarily assume that tens of millions of TV viewers are desperately waiting to find out what happened to the Federation after Nemesis . . . .
I'm a pretty hardcore fan that watched every episode up until Enterprise was cancelled, and I think I can firmly say that even I don't give a shit about what happens to a fictional government after a fictional movie. If people like me don't care, then I don't know why anyone else would. However, that's not to say I wouldn't watch it if it happened (it probably won't). I voted in this poll that I don't care, just give me Trek, and that's the Star Trek whore that I am.
Ryan8bit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 10:21 PM   #1208
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

NeroShrimp wrote: View Post
Maple Dog wrote: View Post
Simple in my opinion,Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise presented us with the Starfleet temporal police,which main job is to correct any temporal incursion,so where were they in the story when ST2009 was made,they should have stopped Nero before he attacked the USS Kelvin,JJ Abrams can't say he was not aware of that in Star Trek.
There was no way of knowing what the result would be when Nero attacked Spock. Remember, Spock was trying to prevent a super nova, not go back in time. What happened with Nero and Spock happened so fast there was no way to prevent what occured.
The warp speed supernova that would destroy the whole galaxy, you mean? Oy Gewalt! Everytime I am reminded of that mind numbing plot idea my brain rattles. But maybe Genesis and Trilithium warheads are crazy wank too. That's not an excuse though.

As far as I am concerned the Spock that came back to the 23rd Century was from the same different timeline that the new movies are in. As a result we could just ignore the movie events altogether.

I certainly hope that whoever takes over Trek after JJ does exactly that.
AirCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 11:17 PM   #1209
dub
Fleet Captain

NeroShrimp wrote: View Post
I commend JJ for including Spock Prime. He didn't have to include him in it.
Me too.

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Oddly, I don't have the slightest problem with cold, hard, reboots of any other franchise... Batman, Spider-man or whatever. But my precious Star Trek... oh dear!
That's because other franchises do complete and total reboots all the time. That's expected of those franchises.

Star Trek doesn't do that historically. Yes, things are ignored and left out, and there are errors, I'm certainly not denying that. But as a series of works, there is a sense of some (dare I use the "c" word) continuity overall.

From TOS, through the original movies, TNG to VOY, it's obvious the writers worked toward creating a timeline (and alternate timelines within the same "universe"). Otherwise, in TMP they would have totally started over with a new cast of characters, or in TNG they would have used a completely new Kirk & company with no regard for what came before or ignored previous versions of the Enterprise before it, and in DS9 they would have completely avoided any history of what came before that, etc. But they didn't do that. Because Star Trek is not like other franchises. I'm not whining, but I am saying that the way they handle continuity is unique compared to other franchises. Even in JJ's version they did indeed go out of their way to include the prime timeline to suggest the new crew is in an alternate timeline - in the same fictional universe.

I'm not saying Star Trek can't totally reboot (because, yeah, I have so much control over that). I'm just saying so far they haven't really done so. And I'm personally pleased with that and hope that continues because I think that's a cool part of Star Trek as a franchise. I'm not saying it's the only thing that matters, and I'm not saying it's the most important thing. I'm just saying it's cool.

As far as timelines go, I would be thrilled if they went back to the prime timeline for official television series or movies at some point. But if they stay in the current timeline, sprout another one off, or completely reboot, if the story is good enough I'm game. Not that my approval is needed or anything.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 01:26 AM   #1210
bigboojeg
Vice Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
I think it's pretty clear that the question is framed as whether one wants to see new movies/TV in the old continuity (Vulcan intact, Romulus destroyed).

This.
bigboojeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 02:06 AM   #1211
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

bbjeg wrote: View Post

This.
They could even decide to do Vulcan intact AND Romulus intact, and just decide that none of the events of Trek '09 occurred in Trek Prime.
Old July 15 2014, 02:11 AM   #1212
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

AirCommodore wrote: View Post

This.
They could even decide to do Vulcan intact AND Romulus intact, and just decide that none of the events of Trek '09 occurred in Trek Prime.
yes, I can totally see them ignoring two very sucessful movies to appease the minority of fans that hate change
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 02:24 AM   #1213
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
AirCommodore wrote: View Post

This.
yes, I can totally see them ignoring two very sucessful movies to appease the minority of fans that hate change
I am not sure that the success of any movie is based on the status of Romulus.
Old July 20 2014, 12:57 AM   #1214
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I still don't believe there even is a "prime" Trek.

Berman-Trek is, like Abrams-Trek, a derivative of its source material, based on Star Trek, largely created by other people. It is no more or less "prime" than any other derivative version of Star Trek. The fact that Berman-Trek takes as its conceit that the events of the original ST series happened in its past makes it no less a derivative work than Abram's Trek or, for that matter, any of the novels. The various versions of Trek have never been one cohesive whole, no matter how many fans pretend otherwise and no matter how many books Okuda writes.
Old July 20 2014, 01:00 AM   #1215
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I still don't believe there even is a "prime" Trek.

Berman-Trek is, like Abrams-Trek, a derivative of its source material, based on Star Trek, largely created by other people. It is no more or less "prime" than any other derivative version of Star Trek. The fact that Berman-Trek takes as its conceit that the events of the original ST series happened in its past makes it no less a derivative work than Abram's Trek or, for that matter, any of the novels. The various versions of Trek have never been one cohesive whole, no matter how many fans pretend otherwise and no matter how many books Okuda writes.
Totally.