Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do fans want the prime timeline back?
I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back. 188 55.79%
I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back. 57 16.91%
I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back. 38 11.28%
I don't care, just give me Trek! 48 14.24%
I don't know. 6 1.78%
Voters: 337. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 19 2014, 06:16 PM   #1096
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

I'd love a live-action return to the prime timeline, and I'd be happily pleased if that happens. But it would most likely have to be some sort of variation on the original concept. Even Enterprise, which tried going back to the basics, tried to substitute the Big Three character dynamic.

But even then, I'd argue that the spin-offs tended to be their strongest when they veered away and made their own course. TNG had the Borg and Q and a different storytelling style than TOS. DS9 had the Dominion, serialized storytelling, and their immense secondary cast. I thought Voyager was great with the Hirogen and 8472 (at least initially), but then they chickened out by relying too heavily on the Borg, a TNG product. And then Enterprise, as mentioned above, retreated back to familiar territory in some form, before and after their risky gambit of the 3rd season.

With that said, a return to the prime timeline would mean a variation of TOS, and it would have to create its own identity to succeed. In essence, to be in the prime timeline, a show would have to both adhere AND differentiate itself from the source material, which is no easy thing to pull off. The thing to remember about the spinoffs is that they weren't just continuations, but they also had to be like and not-like TOS/TNG.

I liked STXI and was mildly disappointed by XII, the latter primarily because we weren't exploring anything new.
Old February 19 2014, 06:42 PM   #1097
Levi
Lieutenant Commander

I've been a huge fan since I was able to understand I was watching Star Trek on T.V. Grew up with TNG but TOS still had a few reruns here and there.
I am a fan of the Prime Timeline, but I do like (so far) how they've done the alternate. Honestly, I do not care which way they go, as long as it's got quality to it and it all stays true to Star Trek.
Personaly, I think the new timeline allows them more breathing space and allows them to really modernize TOS for upcoming projects. Although, I do hope they do not get too far away from the Prime timeline. I understand things will change but I do hope they don't start removing original characters.
I would like to see, eventually, the return of TNG to the timeline as well. I would love to see a retake on that cast!
I am hoping that we may see a new TOS series on TV?
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 08:41 PM   #1098
Ryan8bit
Commodore

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
anh165 wrote: View Post
mendelin wrote: View Post
We got TNG and the Borg, DS9 and Dominion War, VOY and Delta Quadrant exploring. It was exciting and meaningful.
And that's the garbage that got Star Trek cancelled.

Pass.
None of that got Trek cancelled. Enterprise was the show that got cancelled.
I thought what got Star Trek cancelled was the move to Friday night death slot after years of low ratings. Oh, we're talking about Enterprise and not the original?

Cancellation isn't everything, otherwise the movies and TNG wouldn't have come about.
Ryan8bit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2014, 09:56 PM   #1099
Tracer Bullet
Lieutenant

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
With that said, a return to the prime timeline would mean a variation of TOS, and it would have to create its own identity to succeed. In essence, to be in the prime timeline, a show would have to both adhere AND differentiate itself from the source material, which is no easy thing to pull off. The thing to remember about the spinoffs is that they weren't just continuations, but they also had to be like and not-like TOS/TNG.
I've come around to the idea that TNG was more revolutionary than it's given credit for. They were able to set up a world in which to set stories based on some rules, which were basically "things are different, but the same."

So, I don't think it would be that hard to come up with the structure of a new Trek show set in the Prime universe: set it 100 or 200 years down the line, come up with some new technologies, and make the status of all or most of the alien races from previous Trek different. Romulans are a non-factor, Klingons have joined the Federation, Cardassians too, after the Federation helped rebuild Cardassia Prime after the Dominion War, etc. Then have the series' ship be exploring a new area of space, be it the Delta Quadrant (still a lot to explore there) or a different galaxy.

I also don't think such a series should be serialized, but instead it should be more of an anthology/short story series, albeit one with long term character growth and a progression of events, a la Mad Man. Episodes could pick up a week, a month, two months after the last one, allowing for stand-alone adventures while at the same time allowing for a progression in interpersonal relationships and any long-term plots.

Keep it simple, keep it basic.
Old February 19 2014, 10:31 PM   #1100
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Tracer Bullet wrote: View Post
I've come around to the idea that TNG was more revolutionary than it's given credit for. They were able to set up a world in which to set stories based on some rules, which were basically "things are different, but the same."

So, I don't think it would be that hard to come up with the structure of a new Trek show set in the Prime universe: set it 100 or 200 years down the line, come up with some new technologies, and make the status of all or most of the alien races from previous Trek different. Romulans are a non-factor, Klingons have joined the Federation, Cardassians too, after the Federation helped rebuild Cardassia Prime after the Dominion War, etc. Then have the series' ship be exploring a new area of space, be it the Delta Quadrant (still a lot to explore there) or a different galaxy.

I also don't think such a series should be serialized, but instead it should be more of an anthology/short story series, albeit one with long term character growth and a progression of events, a la Mad Man. Episodes could pick up a week, a month, two months after the last one, allowing for stand-alone adventures while at the same time allowing for a progression in interpersonal relationships and any long-term plots.

Sure, but I suppose (now that I think back at it) my overall point would be, "If you want the Prime universe back and it does come back, don't expect it to be quite like what you remember it."

You're right, it worked for TNG, but TNG had to get over a couple seasons of invoking TOS (writer's strike and viewer expectation) to find its own legs and succeed on their own terms.
Old February 19 2014, 10:51 PM   #1101
Tracer Bullet
Lieutenant

Sure, but I suppose (now that I think back at it) my overall point would be, "If you want the Prime universe back and it does come back, don't expect it to be quite like what you remember it."

You're right, it worked for TNG, but TNG had to get over a couple seasons of invoking TOS (writer's strike and viewer expectation) to find its own legs and succeed on their own terms.
Totally agree. I think when people think "new Prime universe TV show" they think "new show that's just like '90s Trek" and there's no way that would happen.
Old February 20 2014, 12:55 AM   #1102
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

... I think when people think "new Prime universe TV show" they think "new show that's just like '90s Trek" ...
I totally disagree. When I think of Prime Trek, I think of TOS and it's movies too, and when I think of a new Prime universe series, I think of new writers, large shifts from the norm, and a 25th century setting. Maybe there's a sprinkle of TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager referencing but it will be it's own thing, not another Berman Trek.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2014, 06:21 PM   #1103
Tracer Bullet
Lieutenant

bbjeg wrote: View Post
... I think when people think "new Prime universe TV show" they think "new show that's just like '90s Trek" ...
I totally disagree. When I think of Prime Trek, I think of TOS and it's movies too, and when I think of a new Prime universe series, I think of new writers, large shifts from the norm, and a 25th century setting. Maybe there's a sprinkle of TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager referencing but it will be it's own thing, not another Berman Trek.
I certainly hope so! And I hope we get the opportunity to find out, eventually.
Old March 4 2014, 02:40 AM   #1104
soapp
Lieutenant Junior Grade

As much as I enjoy the Prime universe it's time to move on, because times change and they could never do it justice, in a way to me voyager stared to tarnish some of Trek higher moral values.

And when you watch the movies you know it's so different now, it's Action Trek. I've turned the page and hope they don't try to go back, but just keep doing their own thing. To me it's Trek 2.0.
soapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 12:28 AM   #1105
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

I came across this website about Bryan Singer's Star Trek: Federation story he worked on. Thought I'd add it here because Singer is in the current spotlight with X-Men: DoFP and his prestige and wants may give him Paramount's attention.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 03:55 AM   #1106
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

DonIago wrote: View Post
Star Trek isn't The One Ring, and we should not behave as Gollum.
Nor should we be treating Star Trek as a religion with a Bible whose rules have to be obeyed no matter what.

I came across this website about Bryan Singer's Star Trek: Federation story he worked on. Thought I'd add it here because Singer is in the current spotlight with X-Men: DoFP and his prestige and wants may give him Paramount's attention.
Considering that Abrams is now directing the new Star Wars movie in London, and will probably get it done by the end of this year in time to direct the next Star Trek film, I doubt that they'll even consider Singer to do it, although nothing's out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; April 6 2014 at 04:23 AM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2014, 09:39 PM   #1107
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

I'd love a prime universe series. I'm sure it would work very well !!!
Old April 16 2014, 10:00 PM   #1108
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Singer certainly seems to be on the comeback trail, it will be interesting to see how DOFP turns out.
Old April 17 2014, 12:33 AM   #1109
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
They never had to leave it, in my opinion. If they'd just had the balls to say, "we're rebooting STAR TREK. We know this decision won't be popular with a certain percentage of TREKKIES, but the rest of us are going to appreciate the changes.," then all of this "other/alternative universe" stuff wouldn't even have to be there. It's not even offering anything new, anyway. I mean ... the laws of physics are the same STAR TREK has used all along. It's not too late, you know, for them to a proper, "hard" reboot ...
Old April 17 2014, 01:27 AM   #1110
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
They never had to leave it, in my opinion. If they'd just had the balls to say, "we're rebooting STAR TREK. We know this decision won't be popular with a certain percentage of TREKKIES, but the rest of us are going to appreciate the changes.," then all of this "other/alternative universe" stuff wouldn't even have to be there. It's not even offering anything new, anyway. I mean ... the laws of physics are the same STAR TREK has used all along. It's not too late, you know, for them to a proper, "hard" reboot ...
Not only is it not too late, it's going to happen.