Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do fans want the prime timeline back?
I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back. 190 56.05%
I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back. 57 16.81%
I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back. 38 11.21%
I don't care, just give me Trek! 48 14.16%
I don't know. 6 1.77%
Voters: 339. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15 2014, 06:20 PM   #1006
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Maurice wrote: View Post
Oh please. The explosion and someone catching on fire is a common action movie trope.
Often accompanied by a Wilhelm scream.
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
It's the casual fans, along the middle of the spectrum, that mean the difference between a flop and a hit. And they're the audience you mostly need to target.
Mostly I think that's true, but it's the hardcore fans who'll go back to the theater three, four, five times.
Old January 16 2014, 04:31 PM   #1007
flakfrist123
Ensign

[/QUOTE]

Until they all die off or move on.

Hence why Nemesis bombed and Enterprise was cancelled there weren't enough fans to keep Trek going.[/QUOTE]

Shhhh. . . . Truth has no place on this board.

Anyway, reading through this thread I get the impression the thread's title should be, "Do fans want the technobabble back? part 2: Poll edition".

I say Nay.
flakfrist123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 06:24 PM   #1008
BigJake
Rear Admiral

flakfrist123 wrote: View Post
Shhhh. . . . Truth has no place on this board.
So... what are you doing here?
Old January 17 2014, 01:24 AM   #1009
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

And it wasn't like Enterprise initially targeted fans from the prior series flakfirst123. The whole point was to leave everything prior fans knew about Star Trek behind (from introducing never heard of species to the ditch of the orchestral opening theme style). It wasn't until season two when they tried to get those fans back that they started adding tie-in elements to the other series. They just failed at it.
bbjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 01:41 PM   #1010
LOLPeanutButter
Ensign

Star Trek TNG - VOY as the ultra-pure "Do The Right Thing Absurdly Politically Correct New Age Management By Teams" is dead. It is no longer relate-able to an entire generation of fans. We have an entire generation now that has been brought up facing a growingly un-trustable government, is used to conspiracy theories an plots-within-plots... and is in general used to a darker level of storytelling. The happy-touchy-feely "LETS ALL DO THE RIGHT THING AFTER GETTING A TEAM CONSENSUS" just doesn't cut it with the audience anymore. That is why TNG failed in at the big-screen, plain and simple. The larger audience can't relate to it.

What seems to sell... darker stories involving flawed heroes working against a damaged/broken establishment and not quite succeeding all the way. That is what the majority of the fans want, and that is what New Trek brings to the table.

In order to keep Trek alive, it has to grow and adapt. Just like the shift we saw between TOS and TNG, we need to accept a shift in style. We can't keep living in the past, we are not going to get TNG back nor should we try to recreate something that just won't sell.

Going forward, we need New Trek to bring in new fans. It's time to pass the torch on to the next-next-generation.
LOLPeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 04:36 PM   #1011
Ryan8bit
Commodore

LOLPeanutButter wrote: View Post
What seems to sell... darker stories involving flawed heroes working against a damaged/broken establishment and not quite succeeding all the way. That is what the majority of the fans want, and that is what New Trek brings to the table.
You pretty much just described DS9. I don't think sticking to the old continuity precludes stories of that type.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2014, 10:20 PM   #1012
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

... In order to keep Trek alive, it has to grow and adapt. Just like the shift we saw between TOS and TNG, we need to accept a shift in style. We can't keep living in the past, we are not going to get TNG back nor should we try to recreate something that just won't sell.

Going forward, we need New Trek to bring in new fans. It's time to pass the torch on to the next-next-generation.
Not that I'm knocking NuTrek but I wouldn't call rebooting moving forward. It's more like reenvisioning. A 25th century series would be moving forward.
Old January 17 2014, 10:49 PM   #1013
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

bbjeg wrote: View Post
A 25th century series would be moving forward.
It really wouldn't. It would be pinning comm badges on another set of actors and have them mumble on monotonously about more Star Trek minutiae.
Old January 17 2014, 11:22 PM   #1014
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^With the right writers, it could have been done.
Old January 18 2014, 01:45 AM   #1015
BigJake
Rear Admiral

That is why TNG failed in at the big-screen, plain and simple. The larger audience can't relate to it.
I don't think this is true at all. TNG failed on the big screen because the studio refused to play to its strengths: the characters were suited for cerebral high-concept storylines and they tried to make slam-bang action movies with them. (Note that the most successful of the TNG movies made actual use of the characters' backstories... and even that one did it clumsily.)

What seems to sell... darker stories involving flawed heroes working against a damaged/broken establishment and not quite succeeding all the way.
You're basically describing DS9.

But yes, it's completely true that the milieu that birthed the original Star Trek just no longer exists. Trek can no longer be about the happy and morally uncomplicated adventures of the American Navy in space, and I wouldn't want it to be. The core aspect that originally distinguished Trek, however, is not obsolete: Trek can and should aspire to telling believable human stories. I don't care which century it's set in -- in point of fact I'd be game for a real all-in reboot which actually resets the whole setting and starts from scratch -- as long as it delivers that.
Old January 19 2014, 06:52 AM   #1016
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

BigJake wrote: View Post
That is why TNG failed in at the big-screen, plain and simple. The larger audience can't relate to it.
I don't think this is true at all.
Nor do I. TNG failed because the writers and producers weren't up to the challenge. The TNG cast was more than ready for big screen adventures; unfortunately, their writers weren't.
Old January 31 2014, 08:28 AM   #1017
I am not Spock
Commodore

The Prime Universe is not coming back. You have as much chance of Pierce Brosnan coming back as James Bond.

I enjoyed Prime Trek while it lasted. But it's gone. And perhaps that's a good thing. It needed some fresh blood. Anything new that is made will not resemble Berman Trek at all.
Old January 31 2014, 02:28 PM   #1018
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^Prime Trek isn't Berman Trek. It includes it.
Old January 31 2014, 04:02 PM   #1019
anh165
Commander

bbjeg wrote: View Post
^Prime Trek isn't Berman Trek. It includes it.
It is mainly Berman produced Trek.

Are you saying most of the remaining "true" 450 fans across the world who want the "prime" universe back want to see 1960's paper mache boulders and cat suits? No, they want to see unrealistic characters like Odo, Tom Paris, Kira, Janeway and Dukat on the Enterprise NCC-1701-N and featuring Klingon Emperor Worf because that's the style of Trek that got them into it.

The alt universe gives the studio artistic license to break away from the dated and bland production values of Berman trek - other sci fi and adventure movies have left prime trek in its wake 10 years ago.
Old January 31 2014, 05:48 PM   #1020
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^Regardless of how much of Prime Trek is Berman Trek, it's still not just Berman Trek. The biggest difference between a 25th century Prime Trek and a 25th century NuTrek would be the status of Vulcan, which has nothing to do with Berman at all, as well as Kirk's history (like how he met Khan), or NCC-1701's exploits.

Last edited by bbjeg; January 31 2014 at 05:58 PM.