RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,888
Posts: 5,222,584
Members: 24,232
Currently online: 541
Newest member: shadow55

TrekToday headlines

De Lancie Joins Mind Puppets
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Cumberbatch One Of Time Magazine’s Most Influential
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Trek Actor Smithsonian Magazine Cover First
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Takei To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Yelchin In New Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

U.S. Rights For Pegg Comedy Secured
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do fans want the prime timeline back?
I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back. 161 55.52%
I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back. 52 17.93%
I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back. 32 11.03%
I don't care, just give me Trek! 39 13.45%
I don't know. 6 2.07%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 6 2013, 05:24 AM   #766
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain
 
HaventGotALife's Avatar
 
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Okay, here's what I would consider a NuTrek retread of WoK. Young Captain Kirk and the crew of Enterprise are assigned to assist a brilliant young scientist, Dr. Carol Marcus, on her top-secret Genesis Project. Sparks flare between Kirk and Carol, but then the crew stumbles onto the hibernating form of a mysterious superman named Khan, who uses his mind-warping Ceti eels to steal the Genesis Device in order to launch a genocidal attack on Earth. Bonus points if you can work in Capt. Terrell and the U.S.S. Reliant.

Nothing about Klingons, Section 31, or a top-secret Federation warship.

Now that would be a retread/remake/rehash/whatever.

Reinventing Khan for a new story about terrorism and espionage in the 23rd century? Not so much . . . .
God, I wish Star Trek would've just stayed dead. Star Trek Nemesis, the fourth season of Enterprise, the end. Fan Fiction and books after that. What they have done with these two movies makes me long for Rick Berman.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 05:55 AM   #767
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post

God, I wish Star Trek would've just stayed dead. Star Trek Nemesis, the fourth season of Enterprise, the end. Fan Fiction and books after that. What they have done with these two movies makes me long for Rick Berman.
Honestly, that seems a tad melodramatic. If STAR TREK can survive "Turnabout Intruder," the fifth movie, and pretty much the entire first season of TNG, it can survive a reboot or two.

STAR TREK deserves better than to sit on a shelf, gathering dust like some sacred relic. And ending on NEMESIS? God forbid. Would you really prefer that Trek died not with a bang but a whimper . . . ?
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com

Last edited by Greg Cox; December 6 2013 at 06:06 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 07:38 AM   #768
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

The Prime universe didn't go anywhere. It's still there. There are still novels and comics. You can still buy the DVDs and Blu-Rays. Thanks to La-La Land Records, Intrada, GNP Crescendo and Varese Sarabande, you can get the soundtracks (and in many delightful cases, remastered, updated and even core inclusive expanded sets.) The fan films exist, and some of them are desperately and viciously advocate for the Prime universe.

This whole dead-horse-beating of bringing the Prime Universe back is dumb. Not as dumb as the rage over lens flares or the fan erection over how allegedly badass Robau was, but still... dumb.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 08:12 AM   #769
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Okay, here's what I would consider a NuTrek retread of WoK. Young Captain Kirk and the crew of Enterprise are assigned to assist a brilliant young scientist, Dr. Carol Marcus, on her top-secret Genesis Project. Sparks flare between Kirk and Carol, but then the crew stumbles onto the hibernating form of a mysterious superman named Khan, who uses his mind-warping Ceti eels to steal the Genesis Device in order to launch a genocidal attack on Earth. Bonus points if you can work in Capt. Terrell and the U.S.S. Reliant.

Nothing about Klingons, Section 31, or a top-secret Federation warship.

Now that would be a retread/remake/rehash/whatever.

Reinventing Khan for a new story about terrorism and espionage in the 23rd century? Not so much . . . .
God, I wish Star Trek would've just stayed dead. Star Trek Nemesis, the fourth season of Enterprise, the end. Fan Fiction and books after that. What they have done with these two movies makes me long for Rick Berman.
How does that relate to Greg's post?
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 10:45 AM   #770
2takesfrakes
Fleet Captain
 
2takesfrakes's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

HaventGotALife isn't alone in his dislike of Khan's reboot. I, personally, was looking forward to something original, wild and unpredictable. But these new movies are all about being commercial and Wrath of Khan has always been viewed as one of, if not the, best STAR TREK movies. Nonfans might've heard of Khan, probably, but for sure they would know the word Klingon and Tribble. In fact, if they don't put whales in the next movie, I will be very surprised.

What surprises me is that there are many actors who don't want the risk of being in an original feature. They want the security of franchises/remakes/reboots, because the chances of the project totally bombing are low. Nobody wants to be associated with box office poison. STAR TREK: Into Darkness certainly didn't fail at the box office and it was no retread of Wrath of Khan or Space Seed. But artistically, it was a flawed picture and seeing Khan again wasn't any great shakes. It made a fortune, though, just like it was supposed to.
__________________
― It Takes Two.™
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 11:28 AM   #771
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain
 
HaventGotALife's Avatar
 
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post

God, I wish Star Trek would've just stayed dead. Star Trek Nemesis, the fourth season of Enterprise, the end. Fan Fiction and books after that. What they have done with these two movies makes me long for Rick Berman.
Honestly, that seems a tad melodramatic. If STAR TREK can survive "Turnabout Intruder," the fifth movie, and pretty much the entire first season of TNG, it can survive a reboot or two.

STAR TREK deserves better than to sit on a shelf, gathering dust like some sacred relic. And ending on NEMESIS? God forbid. Would you really prefer that Trek died not with a bang but a whimper . . . ?
It was. I came to the realization last night and I'm not a robot. Someone gave me an internet connection and I love Trek and hate these movies. For the emotional outburst in written form, I apologize.

I would argue Star Trek deserves to be creatively viable, and this fan is not happy if it's not doing that, more is not more, and therefore, I would rather it respect what has come before it and stay on a shelf. This fan does not feel that Star Trek is like every other fan boy series. Comics and James Bond it is not. It's been a mosaic of stories told, nothing re-told, and at its best, it gave us hope for the future. We could see adults reacting to situations we find today and how we would deal with that in the 24th century. Many people--Ira Steven Behr and JJ Abrams come to mind--called that campy and naive. Star Trek needs to open the story telling format and to not re-tread over the same material from previous incarnations. I have said that I don't want a "greatest hits." That's essentially what this movie was, and I suggest reading up-thread to see some of my reasons for why I feel that way.

There are ways of tackling international terrorism and our response to it other than making Starfleet the bad guy. The Maquis was the most underdeveloped idea on DS9, but the worst invention, in my opinion, was Section 31. I hated it in 1998, and I hate it now. Not necessarily because of the organization, but because the organization has been around since the first days of the Federation. If it were a reaction to the existential threats posed by the Borg and the Dominion, it would seem to me to be one more layer of the onion peeled away. The 24th century is too dangerous not to have the CIA of the Federation. It would open up debate about why they needed it, and make the idea a little more sound than an agent just appearing out of thin air and going into his mind to get a secret out of him.

They took something I despise and put it front-and-center as if it has always been a part of the Federation, people talk about it openly. Now, there are a few directions that they could take the next movie, like weeding out Section 31 altogether, passing legislation and new regulations against what happened in STID, but no one is going to want to sit through that. And their formula is to NEED the Vengeance and prove the Admiral right. So, I don't think I will see this one in the theater. I don't want them to tout in 20 years that this was commercially viable and it's not worth my time. That's just how I feel right now.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 11:47 AM   #772
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

I can only assume that your version of "creatively viable" and mine differ. TMP was a rehash of "The Changeling". TNG remade a TOS story as early as episode 2. They basically kept the same formula they started with in 1987 with TNG throughout all that, all of Voyager and seasons 1 and 2 of Enterprise. Forehead alien planet of the week, beam down, get into trouble, get out of trouble and go home - and none of it really mattered because everything was back to how it started by the episode's end.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 12:07 PM   #773
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain
 
HaventGotALife's Avatar
 
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I can only assume that your version of "creatively viable" and mine differ. TMP was a rehash of "The Changeling". TNG remade a TOS story as early as episode 2. They basically kept the same formula they started with in 1987 with TNG throughout all that, all of Voyager and seasons 1 and 2 of Enterprise. Forehead alien planet of the week, beam down, get into trouble, get out of trouble and go home - and none of it really mattered because everything was back to how it started by the episode's end.
I find that extremely reductive. "First Contact" from TNG looks nothing like "The Apple" in TOS. Yes, they are exploring planets that have other lifeforms like us on it. But there's a host of episodes, to be as equally reductive, where they have to learn to communicate with something that doesn't have a mouth and bumpy foreheads. They just aren't talked about like the Borg episodes.

Voyager, by the end of its run, had done nothing to further the Maquis, got rid of Kes, neutered Neelix, had become a host of guest star appearances (Jonathan Frakes, Marina Sirtis, John De lancie, and Dwight Schultz) from TNG (esp. Sirtis and Schultz), and every two-parter, most especially the series finale, included the Borg. It didn't stand on its own two feet. It tried for 2 seasons and then mailed it in as a continuation of TNG, a bad season of TNG. That's bankrupt.

DS9, by the end of its run, had added layers to the Cardassians, Bajorans, Trills, and Klingons. They did whole character pieces about each of their characters and how they act in their society. They had a host of guest stars that were added during the run of the show, and only Marc Alamo had been a guest on TNG, although as a different character (but same race). The central themes were consistent throughout the show. They added the Dominion to the Star Trek vernacular. It was creative. That's what I want. And they managed to be creative in adding familiar elements. They abandoned the type of guest appearances that ruined Voyager (Q-Less comes to mind).

I figured the definition might need an example.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 01:19 PM   #774
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
The "Big Evil Bad Guy" will have a ship which in many times the size of the hero ship.
By a factor of 2. The Enterprise D is 6 times bigger than Voyager, that must make her the antichrist.
Ahhh, but they're both "hero ships."




T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 03:44 PM   #775
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
The "Big Evil Bad Guy" will have a ship which in many times the size of the hero ship.
By a factor of 2. The Enterprise D is 6 times bigger than Voyager, that must make her the antichrist.
Ahhh, but they're both "hero ships."
So only the fact that it's evil matters, gotcha. As the Enterprise D also has greater volume than the Vengeance, making her still the only the second biggest Federation ship.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 06:51 PM   #776
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I can only assume that your version of "creatively viable" and mine differ. TMP was a rehash of "The Changeling". TNG remade a TOS story as early as episode 2. They basically kept the same formula they started with in 1987 with TNG throughout all that, all of Voyager and seasons 1 and 2 of Enterprise. Forehead alien planet of the week, beam down, get into trouble, get out of trouble and go home - and none of it really mattered because everything was back to how it started by the episode's end.
I find that extremely reductive. "First Contact" from TNG looks nothing like "The Apple" in TOS. Yes, they are exploring planets that have other lifeforms like us on it. But there's a host of episodes, to be as equally reductive, where they have to learn to communicate with something that doesn't have a mouth and bumpy foreheads. They just aren't talked about like the Borg episodes.

Voyager, by the end of its run, had done nothing to further the Maquis, got rid of Kes, neutered Neelix, had become a host of guest star appearances (Jonathan Frakes, Marina Sirtis, John De lancie, and Dwight Schultz) from TNG (esp. Sirtis and Schultz), and every two-parter, most especially the series finale, included the Borg. It didn't stand on its own two feet. It tried for 2 seasons and then mailed it in as a continuation of TNG, a bad season of TNG. That's bankrupt.

DS9, by the end of its run, had added layers to the Cardassians, Bajorans, Trills, and Klingons. They did whole character pieces about each of their characters and how they act in their society. They had a host of guest stars that were added during the run of the show, and only Marc Alamo had been a guest on TNG, although as a different character (but same race). The central themes were consistent throughout the show. They added the Dominion to the Star Trek vernacular. It was creative. That's what I want. And they managed to be creative in adding familiar elements. They abandoned the type of guest appearances that ruined Voyager (Q-Less comes to mind).

I figured the definition might need an example.
Yeah, DS9 was so creative that it imported a TNG character who had already turned TNG into a Klingon soap opera. DS9 was already bad enough with Smug, Perfect Jadzia Who Knows Everybody And Has Done Everything, but adding Worf to that... just made it worse, in my opinion. I was honestly dreading the day when they'd find a way to get Worf onto Voyager.
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 08:45 PM   #777
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain
 
HaventGotALife's Avatar
 
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Timewalker wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I can only assume that your version of "creatively viable" and mine differ. TMP was a rehash of "The Changeling". TNG remade a TOS story as early as episode 2. They basically kept the same formula they started with in 1987 with TNG throughout all that, all of Voyager and seasons 1 and 2 of Enterprise. Forehead alien planet of the week, beam down, get into trouble, get out of trouble and go home - and none of it really mattered because everything was back to how it started by the episode's end.
I find that extremely reductive. "First Contact" from TNG looks nothing like "The Apple" in TOS. Yes, they are exploring planets that have other lifeforms like us on it. But there's a host of episodes, to be as equally reductive, where they have to learn to communicate with something that doesn't have a mouth and bumpy foreheads. They just aren't talked about like the Borg episodes.

Voyager, by the end of its run, had done nothing to further the Maquis, got rid of Kes, neutered Neelix, had become a host of guest star appearances (Jonathan Frakes, Marina Sirtis, John De lancie, and Dwight Schultz) from TNG (esp. Sirtis and Schultz), and every two-parter, most especially the series finale, included the Borg. It didn't stand on its own two feet. It tried for 2 seasons and then mailed it in as a continuation of TNG, a bad season of TNG. That's bankrupt.

DS9, by the end of its run, had added layers to the Cardassians, Bajorans, Trills, and Klingons. They did whole character pieces about each of their characters and how they act in their society. They had a host of guest stars that were added during the run of the show, and only Marc Alamo had been a guest on TNG, although as a different character (but same race). The central themes were consistent throughout the show. They added the Dominion to the Star Trek vernacular. It was creative. That's what I want. And they managed to be creative in adding familiar elements. They abandoned the type of guest appearances that ruined Voyager (Q-Less comes to mind).

I figured the definition might need an example.
Yeah, DS9 was so creative that it imported a TNG character who had already turned TNG into a Klingon soap opera. DS9 was already bad enough with Smug, Perfect Jadzia Who Knows Everybody And Has Done Everything, but adding Worf to that... just made it worse, in my opinion. I was honestly dreading the day when they'd find a way to get Worf onto Voyager.
I know it's two different people, but complaining that TNG was a "soap opera" while complaining "nothing matters because they warped away" is being attacked from both sides.

I addressed Worf, although indirectly. Because you have to trash previous Star Trek to prove this was needed while seeing the world in black-and-white terms to not see the distinction. Why were you a fan of Star Trek? Did you start with '09?

And they managed to be creative in adding familiar elements. They abandoned the type of guest appearances that ruined Voyager (Q-Less comes to mind).
That was about Worf. And I will go into further detail now because I have been challenged on it. DS9 managed to oppress the Cardassians into the arms of the Dominion. It was logical to make it the Klingons that invaded (or the Bajorans who couldn't do it because they didn't have the muscle). It furthered the theme of oppression. "Violence breeds violence, oppression breeds retaliation." Worf, while added for ratings, had a story arc that saw him finally accept both aspects of his life so that when someone said "Do you hear the cry of the warrior?" he could say "Yeah, but I also like prune juice. Want me to prove it to you?" He was more comfortable with himself AROUND Klingons. If you don't care for him, I guess that doesn't matter.

They didn't make it into "The Worf Show." The show was strong enough that it could make him a part of the ensemble (that's about Seven of Nine).
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 09:03 PM   #778
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
So only the fact that it's evil matters, gotcha. As the Enterprise D also has greater volume than the Vengeance, making her still the only the second biggest Federation ship.
Not quite, if the Veng' was facing off with the Enterprise Dee it would (as the villian ship) have to be considerably larger then the Dee.

It's the way of things.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 09:58 PM   #779
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

But since we're talking about ships that actually have been presented in the movies and shows, not hypothetical ones that will never be, the point still stands.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 10:33 PM   #780
BillJ
Admiral
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Why were you a fan of Star Trek?
Why am I a fan of Star Trek is an interesting question (though not pointed at me, I figure I'm allowed to answer)? I am a fan of Star Trek because it use to be fun to watch before the TNG gang started to believe they were self-important and changing the world. Which bled into the rest of the spin-offs and the TNG movies.

Star Trek is entertainment. I watch it to be entertained. Abrams brought much of the fun back to the franchise. Do I still wish I got way out, weird stuff like Greek gods trying to capture the Enterprise? Sure. But I also know that modern audiences may not be as appreciative of such an approach.

Did you start with '09?
I started watching TOS in 1975.
__________________
I'm not popular enough to be different! - Homer Simpson
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
prime timeline, prime trek

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.