Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do fans want the prime timeline back?
I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back. 211 56.87%
I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back. 61 16.44%
I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back. 39 10.51%
I don't care, just give me Trek! 53 14.29%
I don't know. 7 1.89%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 17 2013, 11:29 PM   #691
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Timewalker wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
The interior of the TARDIS changes all the time, doesn't it?
Interior decorating. Plus, the TARDIS can reconfigure itself, and there have been instances of parts of it being jettisoned (ie. Romana's bedroom in Logopolis and the Zero Room in Castrovalva). None of that means the different TARDIS interiors take place in different timelines.

The 2005+ Doctor Who requires as much knowledge of the old versions as the 2009 Trek does - nothing. They're both quasi-reboots, each with rich but unnecessary take-it-or-leave-it backstories. Both were intended as fresh starts designed to attract new fans.
The modern Doctor Who is enhanced by knowledge of the Classic Doctor Who stories. For example, the episode where the Doctor meets Sarah Jane in the school, and she tells him he really didn't leave her in Croyden. To really appreciate that, it helps to have seen the episode The Hand of Fear in which the Doctor gets summoned back to Gallifrey and can't take her with him. He promises to take her home, but misses the coordinates.

Recommendation to the people who have seen the new Doctor Who trailer: Watch the Tom Baker-era story Brain of Morbius before you see the upcoming 50th anniversary show. It looks like a marvelous bit of continuity there.
* Bolding mine

So you're not up to eithe "The Doctor's Wife" or "Journey to the Center Of the Tardis yet" or even "The Name Of The Doctor"?
I'm still watching the Tennant stories, and I believe you're referring to Matt Smith stories that I haven't yet seen (or at least not in their proper context - I did see a few in one of the holiday marathons a couple of years ago).

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 11:37 PM   #692
SeerSGB
Admiral

Belz... wrote: View Post
So you're not up to eithe "The Doctor's Wife" or "Journey to the Center Of the Tardis yet" or even "The Name Of The Doctor"?
I saw those recently but I don't know what you're refering to.
We know from those episodes that the interior of the Tardis can control time / have areas of where time is sped up, slowed down, or even have different realities "bleed" together inside the Tardis. We also now know that the Tardis experiences all of time at once: what has happened, what is happening, what has yet to happen.

For example: The ~30 (past and future) console rooms (and probably the other "deleted" rooms) are still there in the archives / as echoes time shifted. So it's possible that some of the interior is experiencing/stored in different realities or points in time.
Old November 18 2013, 08:06 AM   #693
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Interior decorating. Plus, the TARDIS can reconfigure itself, and there have been instances of parts of it being jettisoned (ie. Romana's bedroom in Logopolis and the Zero Room in Castrovalva). None of that means the different TARDIS interiors take place in different timelines.

The modern Doctor Who is enhanced by knowledge of the Classic Doctor Who stories. For example, the episode where the Doctor meets Sarah Jane in the school, and she tells him he really didn't leave her in Croyden. To really appreciate that, it helps to have seen the episode The Hand of Fear in which the Doctor gets summoned back to Gallifrey and can't take her with him. He promises to take her home, but misses the coordinates.

Recommendation to the people who have seen the new Doctor Who trailer: Watch the Tom Baker-era story Brain of Morbius before you see the upcoming 50th anniversary show. It looks like a marvelous bit of continuity there.
* Bolding mine

I'm still watching the Tennant stories, and I believe you're referring to Matt Smith stories that I haven't yet seen (or at least not in their proper context - I did see a few in one of the holiday marathons a couple of years ago).
I hope you are enjoying them. Matt Smith was my favorite, though I'm ready for newness. Who is your current companion? Rose's mother is my favorite character ever.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 08:33 AM   #694
Timewalker

teacake wrote: View Post
* Bolding mine

I hope you are enjoying them. Matt Smith was my favorite, though I'm ready for newness. Who is your current companion? Rose's mother is my favorite character ever.
I've just finished watching the Agatha Christie one (the Companion is Donna), and it's driving me nuts trying to place the actress who played her. I recognize one of the others from the old "Good Neighbors" sitcom.

I am definitely enjoying the David Tennant stories a lot more than the Eccleston ones.

Nobody will ever replace Tom Baker, though.

Old November 18 2013, 02:56 PM   #695
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

I should watch Doctor Who so I could get the references.

I want to but I don't know where to start.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2013, 03:27 PM   #696
Timewalker

If you don't mind black-and-white, I'd suggest starting at the very beginning: An Unearthly Child, first broadcast in November 1963.

Mind you, if you want a crash course in Who, you'd likely want to sample a few key stories from each Doctor. There's a thread for that in the Doctor Who subforum, if I recall.

Old November 18 2013, 11:08 PM   #697
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the tip. Saw a thread. I do like black and white movies so it shouldn't be that difficult to watch.
Old November 19 2013, 11:01 AM   #698
Belz...
Fleet Captain

We know from those episodes that the interior of the Tardis can control time / have areas of where time is sped up, slowed down, or even have different realities "bleed" together inside the Tardis. We also now know that the Tardis experiences all of time at once: what has happened, what is happening, what has yet to happen.

For example: The ~30 (past and future) console rooms (and probably the other "deleted" rooms) are still there in the archives / as echoes time shifted. So it's possible that some of the interior is experiencing/stored in different realities or points in time.
Yeah but what does this have to do with different timelines ?
Old November 21 2013, 01:12 AM   #699
drt
Commander

I've been a Who fan for 30+ years, I'd recommend starting with the nuBBC series (Christopher Eccelson), it's really somewhat of a soft reboot, and you wouldn't need to watch anything that came before to understand what's going on.

The older episodes are really more of an acquired taste.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 10:53 AM   #700
Timewalker

I'm partway through the first season of Matt Smith, and I have to say that the new Who stuff is an acquired taste. There are some of the Classic Who stories I've seen easily a dozen times and could happily watch a dozen times more.

There are very few modern Who episodes I'd care to see a second time, let alone more.

Old November 21 2013, 09:52 PM   #701
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

drt wrote: View Post
I've been a Who fan for 30+ years, I'd recommend starting with the nuBBC series (Christopher Eccelson), it's really somewhat of a soft reboot,
Except when they make occasional references to stuff that came before it. But the way Doctor Who is structured, is that the show reinvents itself with each new Doctor or the arrival of a new companion anyway.
and you wouldn't need to watch anything that came before to understand what's going on.
Which is generally the way Doctor Who has always worked since 1963. The majority of Whovians never saw the program from the very beginning, but joined it much later on and then became interested in finding out more about the Doctor and his world.
Old November 23 2013, 07:54 PM   #702
Dantrek
Ensign

I definitely want a show back in the prime timeline. I would love to see the aftermath of Romulus being destroyed and what happened to the empire. I see where a propose independent pilot called "star trek renegades" is being made by Tim Russ. It looks promising. I think its ok for the Abrams movies to be set in an alternate reality but I want my trek on TV to be in the universe we all know and love.
Dantrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 03:16 AM   #703
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

^Well put.
Old November 24 2013, 04:05 PM   #704
FKnight
Commander

"Renegades" is brought to us by the same people who brought us "Of Gods and Men" -- which seemed to have a potentially good story, but which exhibited the problem that Star Trek, particularly with the TOS and TNG cast, had toward the end -- it wasn't a show about Starfleet officers doing Starfleety things .. it was about actors getting to play their Star Trek characters again. When I watched "Of Gods and Men", I didn't feel like I was watching Uhura, Chekov, and Tuvok; I felt like I was watching Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig, and Tim Russ have fun at a cast reunion filming a fan script.

No offense against the folks who put together "Of Gods and Men" or "Renegades", but if that's the "future of Trek", I'll stick with Pocket Books -- I don't care who's "acting" in it.
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 04:22 PM   #705
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I really loved "Of Gods and Men" - it wasn't a classic by any means, but loved seeing Uhura, Chekov, Harriman and Tuvok again playing their roles. It's pure fanwank, but that's the point. It'll probably always be my favourite live-action Trek fanfic.

"Renegades" looks like it could be fun too, although I suspect it'll be Trek's answer to Babylon 5's "Legend of the Rangers" (especially in being a pilot for a series that will never be - I'd rather have Tuvok, Chekov and Doc Zimmerman lead the way rather than the Renegade crew)

Actual Trek actors or no, they're still fan fiction and I too consider the novels to be the true, authorized continuation of Trek Prime.