Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do fans want the prime timeline back?
I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back. 196 56.32%
I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back. 57 16.38%
I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back. 38 10.92%
I don't care, just give me Trek! 51 14.66%
I don't know. 6 1.72%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 2 2013, 03:02 AM   #196
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Re: Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Please quit tap-dancing and post proof of you statement.
Please knock off the cheap rhetorical game-playing and pay attention to what I just said. I've explained myself fairly clearly.
Old October 2 2013, 03:02 AM   #197
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

BigJake wrote: View Post
(And I am not trying to divert the thread, incidentally. I'm simply pointing out that the Abramsverse films are a very sketchy model to be using in regards to whether one "needs" to care about the finer details and consistencies. The bulk of Trek films that made a habit of ignoring the details -- which is pretty much the entire film franchise from STIII onward -- are deservedly forgotten now by anyone but Trekkies. I fully expect the same to happen to STID at the very least.)
You mean: "I wanted to make a drive-by statement about the Abrams films and not be challenged on it".
Old October 2 2013, 03:04 AM   #198
BillJ
Admiral

Please quit tap-dancing and post proof of you statement.
Please knock off the cheap rhetorical game-playing and pay attention to what I just said. I've explained myself fairly clearly.
You made the statement:

Well, except that many people -- and not just diehard Trekkoids -- think Abramstrek is garbage.
I'm asking you to post statistical proof or to retract the statement. Or were you simply making it up?
Old October 2 2013, 03:04 AM   #199
BigJake
Rear Admiral

You mean: "I wanted to make a drive-by statement about the Abrams films and not be challenged on it".
I have no problem with intelligent challenges and intellectually honest, non-hostile engagement, Bill.
Old October 2 2013, 03:06 AM   #200
BillJ
Admiral

I have no problem with intelligent challenges and intellectually honest, non-hostile engagement, Bill.
I'm just asking for honest proof of your statement:

Well, except that many people -- and not just diehard Trekkoids -- think Abramstrek is garbage.
I'd say nine out of ten people liking a movie is the exact opposite of what you're saying.
Old October 2 2013, 03:06 AM   #201
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I'm asking you to post statistical proof or to retract the statement.
Asking for "statistical proof" of a statement that didn't quote any statistics is game-playing, Bill. If I had said "most" people regard the Abramsverse as garbage you would have a point.
Old October 2 2013, 03:09 AM   #202
BillJ
Admiral

I'm asking you to post statistical proof or to retract the statement.
Asking for "statistical proof" of a statement that didn't quote any statistics is game-playing, Bill. If I had said "most" people regard the Abramsverse as garbage you would have a point.
So it was a drive-by slam that you actually couldn't support.

That, to me, is intellectually dishonest. But hey, whatever makes you sleep better at night.
Old October 2 2013, 03:14 AM   #203
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I suppose, to take your numbers, if the 22,000 dislikers on Rotten Tomatoes do not qualify for you as "many" people you are entitled to your opinion, Bill. (I would point out that 10% of a sample does in fact meet the common threshold of "statistical significance" if that's what you prefer.) But since I don't support drawing conclusions from Rotten Tomatoes "statistics" your demand that "proof" be provided in a context irrelevant to the comment remains... well, let's just say it remains what it is. Like I said, I welcome intelligent challenges and honest engagement. I hope to eventually see some from you.
Old October 2 2013, 03:21 AM   #204
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

(And I am not trying to divert the thread, incidentally. I'm simply pointing out that the Abramsverse films are a very sketchy model to be using in regards to whether one "needs" to care about the finer details and consistencies. The bulk of Trek films that made a habit of ignoring the details -- which is pretty much the entire film franchise from STIII onward -- are deservedly forgotten now by anyone but Trekkies. I fully expect the same to happen to STID at the very least.)
Details like Chekov not being in "Space Seed" or Khan's crew being multi-ethnic?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2013, 03:23 AM   #205
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Geoff Peterson wrote: View Post
Details like Chekov not being in "Space Seed" or Khan's crew being multi-ethnic?
Thank you for the question, Geoff. No. More along the lines of details like "is there a plot that makes sense" or "does the fantasy tech set up some in-world rules and then stick to them" (the latter being the subject I was originally responding to).
Old October 2 2013, 03:25 AM   #206
BillJ
Admiral

Less than one out of ten is insignificant in the world of entertainment and doesn't qualify as "many people thinking that Into Darkness is garbage".

I can respect the fact that some people don't like the film but I don't try to misrepresent fandom or general audiences by speaking for them. I let the actual numbers and movie-goers speak for themselves. All I can say is what I think and present the numbers that are available.
Old October 2 2013, 03:57 AM   #207
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Thank you for the question, Geoff. No. More along the lines of details like "is there a plot that makes sense" or "does the fantasy tech set up some in-world rules and then stick to them" (the latter being the subject I was originally responding to).
I don't think most people care about either if they have a good time. They probably don't care about consistency between the source material and the current incarnation either. The ones who do care are probably "Trekkies" or their equivalent.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old October 2 2013, 04:04 AM   #208
BillJ
Admiral

I don't think most people care about either if they have a good time. They probably don't care about consistency between the source material and the current incarnation either. The ones who do care are probably "Trekkies" or their equivalent.
I'm a Trekkie and I go to movies to be entertained not pick them apart.
Old October 2 2013, 04:08 AM   #209
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I love that people are going around demanding and trying to provide "proof" of their opinion about the last movie.
Old October 2 2013, 04:20 AM   #210
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
I love that people are going around demanding and trying to provide "proof" of their opinion about the last movie.
"Many" and "most" refer to more than one opinion.