Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old January 5 2015, 11:18 PM   #1
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

Movie or Series?

Recently on a local radio station I heard there was a new Star Trek "series" planned for July 8, 2016. However when I looked this information up it just said the new movie was coming out then, not a series. So, am I assuming the radio station just got their information wrong and it's actually Star Trek 13 (III) coming out?

Thanks!
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2015, 11:28 PM   #2
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Re: Movie or Series?

They've obviously confused the film's release date.

If you're asking me which I prefer. Series.

The 50th would be better as a TV event. Two-hours in primetime on a major channel. Suddenly being revealed as a back-door pilot, when however many millions it takes to be noticed these days, is achieved. Revealed as always intended to be one-off revival to celebrate, if it doesn't.

darkshadow0001: Here's an unclipped version of your avatar (if you like).

Just right click and save. Go to User CP, select Edit Avatar and upload.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; January 5 2015 at 11:41 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2015, 11:56 PM   #3
Orphalesion
Captain

I would also prefer a series. A really well written one with interesting characters and intelligent plots and hopefully a decent enough budget to show well done aliens and special effects.
Star Trek is a TV show, I want my weekly deep space sci fi back.

If it has to be based on the TOS era, as it seems to be the trend, I would also hope that they include main characters besides the ones based on the 60s crew. Especially more female characters and in more important roles. A few more alien characters and Star Trek's first homosexual character would also be very nice.
Old January 6 2015, 12:19 AM   #4
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

darkshadow0001 wrote: View Post
Recently on a local radio station I heard there was a new Star Trek "series" planned for July 8, 2016. However when I looked this information up it just said the new movie was coming out then, not a series. So, am I assuming the radio station just got their information wrong and it's actually Star Trek 13 (III) coming out?

Thanks!
It's a movie, directed by Justin Lin, continuing on from Star Trek Into Darkness.

There have been rumours of a new TV series, but from an extremely questionable source.
Old January 6 2015, 12:55 AM   #5
Lance
Commodore

As a matter of preference, I'd have to say I agree with Orphalesion . I like the idea of a regular TV series more than movies.

Star Trek was born out of TV, and it's on TV that the franchise can tap into it's true potential. The franchise's road through the movie theaters has been an extremely rocky one over the years, I believe in large part because the Star Trek Format either has to be upheld stringently to what it is expected to be (in which case, people complain it isn't enough like a movie ), or else altered to fit into the Big Action Movie format (in which case, people complain it isn't Star Trek enough ). Complainers always gonna complain, yo.

On the whole, I do think the format just 'breathes' better on TV. It's a more flexible format for telling stories. Star Trek can certainly achieve a lot on the big screen when placed in the right hands, but it doesn't really feel as at home there as it does on TV.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2015, 01:31 AM   #6
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
They've obviously confused the film's release date.

If you're asking me which I prefer. Series.

The 50th would be better as a TV event. Two-hours in primetime on a major channel. Suddenly being revealed as a back-door pilot, when however many millions it takes to be noticed these days, is achieved. Revealed as always intended to be one-off revival to celebrate, if it doesn't.

darkshadow0001: Here's an unclipped version of your avatar (if you like).

Just right click and save. Go to User CP, select Edit Avatar and upload.
Haha thanks, I got that from a TV guide I had a long time ago and forgot I even still had an account here. But yeah, I think the station just mistook it for the movie rather then series.
Old January 6 2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Melakon
Admiral

Having started with Trek in '66, and seen every series and every film, I've yet to see a film as entertaining and thought provoking as any of the best episodes of any of the series.
Old January 6 2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Vger23
Commander

Orphalesion wrote: View Post
I would also prefer a series. A really well written one with interesting characters and intelligent plots and hopefully a decent enough budget to show well done aliens and special effects.
Star Trek is a TV show, I want my weekly deep space sci fi back.

If it has to be based on the TOS era, as it seems to be the trend, I would also hope that they include main characters besides the ones based on the 60s crew. Especially more female characters and in more important roles. A few more alien characters and Star Trek's first homosexual character would also be very nice.
Well, in contrast, I hope nobody wishes for a really badly written one with boring characters and lame-brained plots with an undersized budget resulting in poorly-done aliens and special effects.
Old January 6 2015, 11:32 PM   #9
2takesfrakes
Commodore

With any season of any series of STAR TREK, it's a mixed bag, what you're getting. At least with the reboot movies, everything's been great! There have been some surprising crossover actors. Obviously, there's Peter Weller. Another is Anna Katarina, who's a Swiss actress from TNG's episode "Haven," who appeared in ST09. Yet, people argue so hard against previous STAR TREK actors appearing in the reboots, when it's already been happening. Shatner's even in the next movie ...
Old January 7 2015, 12:00 AM   #10
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

Yeah the reboots really have been interesting thus far, I'm excited to see the next one, although it's a shame that Abrams left Star Trek for Star Wars. Although he might do justice for Star Wars as well... the new trailer looks awesome! I dunno about the new guy they picked for Star Trek 13 though to direct it, I was never in the Fast & Fury movies much, but I'll probably still see it just because it's Star Trek.
Old January 10 2015, 06:13 PM   #11
Kane2026
Ensign

View Kane2026's Twitter Profile

I personally believe that Star Trek deserves to be on TV instead of in a cinema. TV offers more opportunity for character development and plots viewers can get invested in. The release cycle between ST09 and STID was over 4 if you include the delay of ST09. That is just too long.

Star Trek has traditionally been procedural and formulistic in nature, mostly due to budgeting reasons. But I think a serialized show would intrigue fans more and to make more of a contrast with previous Star Trek shows. In my opinion it doesn't immediately have to have a dark atmosphere like BSG or Stargate Universe. It can have a Utopian/Roddenberry setting.
Old January 12 2015, 01:23 AM   #12
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

CW's President Mark Pedowitz was asked about Star Trek at the Television Critics Association Press Tour said that he loves Trek and would want it on The CW, but there are no discussions about the television part of the franchise.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2015, 03:11 AM   #13
Lance
Commodore

Kane2026 wrote: View Post
Star Trek has traditionally been procedural and formulistic in nature, mostly due to budgeting reasons. But I think a serialized show would intrigue fans more and to make more of a contrast with previous Star Trek shows. In my opinion it doesn't immediately have to have a dark atmosphere like BSG or Stargate Universe. It can have a Utopian/Roddenberry setting.
Absolutely, and this is one of the things that annoys me the most about how people justify not bringing Star Trek back to TV. Frankly, there are things they could do with Star Trek on television now that they could never have done a decade ago. There's no way it would come back as the same, somewhat tired franchise that left the airwaves.

In fact the situation now is very much like when TNG first started. I think there's a fresh audience out there, a lot of 2015 viewers who would embrace a new generation of Star Trek characters on television to call their own, and also a lot of possibilities for doing new, interesting things with the property. And as you say, it wouldn't need to abandon Star Trek's optimistic tone..... in fact, having that would make it stand out from all the other dark-and-gritty, angst-ridden television shows that it would be competing with.

PEople make a lot of assumptions about Star Trek on TV, based on what happened between 1987 and 2005. But it's self-defeating to look back on that period as being what a revived television version would be like. Frankly, I think Trek's return to TV is inevitable. It'll happen, and it'll be glorious...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2015, 11:29 PM   #14
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

Kane2026 wrote: View Post
I personally believe that Star Trek deserves to be on TV instead of in a cinema. TV offers more opportunity for character development and plots viewers can get invested in. The release cycle between ST09 and STID was over 4 if you include the delay of ST09. That is just too long.

For the type of show it is I agree. The cinema versions are to attract new fans I believe, and movie versions of things are always a bit different from shows anyway. The new films were much needed to revamp the franchise, but it's almost too bad the TNG films didn't succeed. Films need to be action oriented I think in order to make it big (Star Trek). On TV, they can truly "Go Where To Man Has Gone Before".
Old January 13 2015, 11:50 PM   #15
horatio83
Commodore

Trek has always been a TV franchise with the movies being the cherry on top. Although movie scripts are on average better than TV scripts (heresy, how dare he say that) most of Trek has has played on the small screen for a good reason. As the recent attempts to make Trek epic on the big screen have utterly failed (not in terms of epicness but in terms of being true to yourself, sticking to Trek's basic principles) it is time that the franchise continues in its natural habitat