USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Hemsworth To Host SNL

Quinto To Guest Star On HBO Comedy

Wheaton To Voice Firefly Game
By: T'Bonz on Feb 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old December 19 2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Star Trek: Civvies

Would a series based on a civilian ship/crew be able to work? I'm not meaning a Firefly-esque band of petty crooks, but a small ship and crew working hard out on the frontier, without the constraints of Starfleet rules and regulations.

There are a few things that would ultimately be very different: the ship wouldn't be the biggest and/or newest one off the production line, the crew wouldn't be quite so clean-cut and formulaic, they wouldnt be facing any epic space battles, whilst the focus would be far more on the characters (who they are, where they come from, what makes them tick, how they interact).

Or is it something that when you watch Trek you expect/demand to see Starfleet in all its glory?

I'm not suggesting that I want the next series to be civilians, but just curious what others think.
Old December 19 2014, 02:36 PM   #2
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Civvies

The HMS BOUNTY deal in VOYAGE HOME was how they should've done STAR TREK, all along, as far as I'd be concerned. How that arrangement was with just the main cast, without all the eyecandy extras just walking around and trying to look like they're busy all the time, seemed the better way to go ...
Old December 19 2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Orphalesion
Captain

I would quite like it We see so little about how the average person lives in Star Trek.

Aside from a ship it could also take place on a newly founded colony and focus on the dangers, hardships, joys and romance of frontier life.
Orphalesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2014, 04:24 PM   #4
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

^ Give it a wealth of main, supporting and recurring characters for some great story telling.
Old December 19 2014, 07:05 PM   #5
bbailey861
Admiral

View bbailey861's Twitter Profile

That's not a bad idea. Call it "Star Trek: Federation" and you lose all the constraints of just Starfleet. You could cover anything you wanted. The variety is pretty much endless.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Melakon
Admiral

It sounds a little like it would play similar to DS9, though there wouldn't be as much exploration or first contact events. No one would be making decisions that might have repercussions throughout the quadrant, unlike a starship captain.

Though a decision by the community leader might prompt a inquiry by Starfleet if it affects the region.
Old December 19 2014, 08:56 PM   #7
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

How about having a Federation Commissioner heading things up on the colony and in the sector, they see to carry a lot of clout, even with Starfleet.
Old December 19 2014, 10:21 PM   #8
Melakon
Admiral

A Commissioner might be too high level to be actively involved with the characters proposed in your opening post. Maybe it's some self-important bureaucrat like Federation Under-Secretary for Agricultural Affairs Nilz Baris. He'd likely have to be less abrasive than Baris though, if he's a continuing character.
Old December 20 2014, 07:46 AM   #9
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Probably a little high for regular run-ins with a motely crew, unless there happened to be some connection between the Commissioner and someone on the ship--sibling, aunt/uncle, ex-spouse--would all depend on just what plots were going to unfold and stories to be told.

With something like this, then it's fairly open to time period as well, as it could fit in pretty much anywhere. Likewise with ship styles, it doesn't necessarily have to be Federation in origin (so no bland hallways of grey walls, floor and ceilings with excessive lights illuminating the dullness). Also a few liberties could be taken with the crew as well, for example we could have a Cardassian on the main cast (with an appropriate backstory, of course).
Old December 20 2014, 08:09 AM   #10
Orphalesion
Captain

Lol including a Starfleet Commissioner sounds like something the execs would do in Season 3 to make the show "more like Star Trek", along with a Crystal Entity episode.

Te real challenge would be not to have the show turn out like "Terra Nova" (if anybody has seen that show) because that show just sucked.

First I suggest that there'd be elections for the position of governour, no just putting some paramilitary fascist in charge without consulting the populace.

A big plot arc might be the exploration of their planet, learning to live with its cycles and strange organisms. This might lead to the discovery that their actually are primitive, sentient inhabitants running around. The Federation didn't notice them because, for some reason their brainwaves don't register on scanners or they are some highly exotic form of life. There could be conflict and attempts at coexistence, along with a token romance between a human and one of the aliens if they are humanoid enough.

in general owever I think the planet should be almost a character in its own right, if you understand the relationship between the colonists and the planet would be extremely important. How much will they change the planet? How much will the planet change them?

Some ideas for that theme:

1) There are no natives in the beginning, but at one point people just keep disappearing, reports say the missing person just dropped whatever they were doing and walked off into the wilderness. At around the same time the native aliens show up. At first the colonists think the natives were abducting or killing their missed loved ones, but it eventually turns out that something about the planet was actually transforming some of the colonists in other lifeforms, making them go native in a big way (I know its been done, but it would be interesting to explore on a longer basis)
2) I always found Tuvix to be a missed opportunity so I'd propose something like that to happen on a show like this...and sticking. Have to characters hang around for half or most of the first season enough to make them integral to the plot and social network of the show and then have them combined into one entity by a freak accident (Tuvix could even get a token mentioning) unlike Tuvix this fusion sticks around permanently and the colony would have to adjust losing two important members of their small community and to having this new person around.
3) The planet could turn out to e sentient itself to some degree and actually examine the colonists with scientific curiosity, sending things to cause problems for them to see how they react.
Old December 23 2014, 01:29 PM   #11
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Would a series based on a civilian ship/crew be able to work?
Right now?

Nope. Not unless you injected the high adventure, space battles, and larger-than-life characters back into the premise. Star Trek has been off of TV for close to 10 years. Stick to the basics to reintroduce viewers to the franchise. It's how TAS did it, it's how TNG did it... and it's worked out pretty well so far.
Old December 23 2014, 02:23 PM   #12
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
It's how TAS did it, it's how TNG did it... and it's worked out pretty well so far.
I actually heard RDJ's voice in my head when I read this line.
Old December 23 2014, 05:18 PM   #13
Vger23
Lieutenant Commander

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Would a series based on a civilian ship/crew be able to work?
Right now?

Nope. Not unless you injected the high adventure, space battles, and larger-than-life characters back into the premise. Star Trek has been off of TV for close to 10 years. Stick to the basics to reintroduce viewers to the franchise. It's how TAS did it, it's how TNG did it... and it's worked out pretty well so far.
Totally agree.

I'm a hardcore fan of 36 years, and I can't think of ANY Star Trek premise that would interest me less than this proposed one above. Even "Starfleet Academy" would hold my interest better than this.
Old December 23 2014, 05:24 PM   #14
Orphalesion
Captain

Right now?

I agree, realistically, it would only work as a spin-off/companion show to a "standard" Trek show, or as a original series completely independent from Trek.

Still it's fun to speculate and toss around ideas
Old December 23 2014, 05:34 PM   #15
Vger23
Lieutenant Commander

Orphalesion wrote: View Post

Still it's fun to speculate and toss around ideas
True enough. I think it's easy for me to lose sight of this at times.