A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old September 7 2013, 09:44 AM   #16
davidant32
Commodore

Re: Your top 10 moments...

Every scene in TVH with Chekov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVOIig2xLq8

Come to think of it, that entire movie is just full of great character moments
Old September 7 2013, 11:00 AM   #17
Smellmet
Commander

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
5. "What is it with you, anyway." TUC. Love McCoy. Especially when he is used correctly.
One of the docs finest, funniest lines, that sums up years of their friendship together, and the acidic wit of Bones to a tee. Excellent.
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 09:21 PM   #18
Garrovick
Commander

The final 60 seconds of The Search For Spock - when the newly revived Spock walks slowly past his crewmates, takes a long look at each of them, then finally comes to Kirk - the conversation reminiscent of their best lines from TWOK, the moment of recognition when he nods and says "Jim... Your name is Jim." - Kirk agrees, breaks into a smile, and the crew clusters around Spock - we get the opening music from the original series and then, at the bottom of the screen, "And the Adventure Continues"... brings a tear to me eye, even after all these years.

Here's a few other favorites of mine, in no particular order -

The scene in sickbay in ST VI when Spock slaps the phaser out of Valeris' hand...

That shot of the Enterprise-A hanging in front of the moon in ST V - a great beauty shot!

"You really have gone where no man's gone before - can't you tell me what it felt like?" (McCoy, ST IV)

"I - have HAD - enough of YOU!" (Kirk, ST III)

"From hell's heart I stab at thee! For hate's sake - I spit my last breath at thee!" (Khan, ST II)

"Father."
"I am returning to Vulcan within the hour - I would like to take my leave of you."
"It was most kind of you to make this effort."
"It was no effort. You are my son. Besides, I was most impressed with your performance in this crisis."
"Most kind."
"As I recall, I opposed your enlistment in Starfleet. It is possible that judgement was incorrect. Your associates are people of good character."
"They are my friends."
"Yes, of course. Do you have a message for your mother?"
"Yes. Tell her - I feel fine." (Spock and Sarek, ST IV)

"Sybok, you are my brother but you do not know me. I am no longer the outcast child you left behind those many years ago. Since that time, I have found myself and my place, I know who I am... and I cannot go with you." (Spock, ST V)

Last edited by Garrovick; September 10 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 12:46 AM   #19
jpv2000
Captain

^Another very nice list.

I especially like those last 2.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 08:52 AM   #20
Smellmet
Commander

Great list, the shot of the Enterprise-A in front of the moon is practically the only decent effects shot in all of TFF
Old September 11 2013, 06:07 PM   #21
Sran
Fleet Captain

10. The Battle of the Mutara Nebula in The Wrath of Khan: James T. Kirk at his best and reminiscent of "Balance of Terror" from TOS.

9. Decker merges with V'Ger in The Motion Picture: a great scene with a beautiful musical score that culminates in the Enterprise warping off to her next adventure.

8. Kirk and Spock in the latter's quarters in TWOK: an underrated scene that speaks to Spock's wisdom and selflessness, recognizing both that his friend needs to be in command of Enterprise again, and that it's also best for the crew to have him as their leader.

7. Spock's death scene in TWOK: as much as people like to paint The Wrath of Khan as Kirk and Khan's movie, I've always felt that it's as much about Kirk and Spock's friendship as it is Kirk and Khan's enmity. Although I know that Spock returns in the following film, this scene always has a finality to it, as though Spock is really dying. Splendid acting by both Shatner and Nimoy.

6. The Battle of Khitomer in The Undiscovered Country. Another great scene involving Kirk and an adversary. I've always liked Spock and McCoy teaming up to rig the photon torpedo, as well as Sulu imploring his helmsman to floor it in order to reach the battle in time.

5. The reintroduction of the Enterprise in The Motion Picture. People complain about it being too slow and redundant. But I've never minded. Every time the Enterprise comes into view and Goldsmith's theme begins, I know precisely how Kirk feels.

4. Stealing the Enterprise in The Search for Spock. It's really the entire sequence that begins with Kirk and Morrow's conversation in the officers' lounge and finally ends with Excelsior grinding to a halt in Earth orbit. But the actual theft of the ship from dock is amazing, as is the look on Styles' face when he realizes his ship has been sabotaged.

3. "Jim. Your name is Jim." That the theme from TOS is used makes this scene even more emotional.

2. George and Gracie sing to the Probe in The Voyage Home. One of Star Trek's most underrated moments for the following reason: Trek is portrayed primarily as a show of human exploits and accomplishments. But this scene depicts Earth being saved not by humans but by whales- a perfect illustration of Gene Roddenberry's vision: seeking out new life isn't merely about finding alien civilizations but about learning new things about those on our own planet.

1. "James T. Kirk, it is the judgement of this Council that you be reduced in rank... to captain. And that as a consequence of your new rank, you be given the duties for which you have repeatedly demonstrated unswerving ability: the command of a starship." I... uh... have something in my eye.

--Sran
Old September 11 2013, 06:32 PM   #22
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

1. The end of The Undiscovered Country, specifically from the start of the battle above Khitomer to the end of the movie. Exciting and emotional at the same time

2. The end of Generations when the crew is going through the records. Picard's dialog about time and what it means was really poignant and it's one reason I don't hate the movie as much as other people do.

3. First Contact with the Vulcans

4. The reveal of the Enterprise A at the end of TVH

5. Chekov's interrogation scene in TVH

6. That battle inside the Mutura Nebula

7. The final 20 or so minutes of The Wrath of Khan. McCoy asked Jim how he feels and his reply was "I feel...young."

8. Circling around the Enterprise in The Motion Picture

9. Spock's mind-meld with Pike in Into Darkness. I really liked that character arc in the entire movie, Spock struggling with Emotions and the scene in the shuttle

10. The Yosemite scenes in The Final Frontier. I don't think the movies did a good enough job capturing the spirit of the friendship between Kirk, Spock and McCoy but this movie at least tried and did so pretty well for all of it's other faults.
Old September 11 2013, 07:15 PM   #23
jpv2000
Captain

This thread is awesome.

I really enjoy reading all these and hope to see a lot more.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 08:15 PM   #24
Smellmet
Commander

Totally agree, glad I started it, I've really enjoyed reading other peoples best bits, it's triggering my memory and making me re-evaluate my own, for example: The Enterprise launch in TUC, the look kirk and co exchange on the bridge as the ship leaves the dock - gives me a lump in my throat every time, never thought to put it on my list before but since people have put little character bits in instead of big set pieces (in the main) it's given me food for thought...
Old September 11 2013, 08:38 PM   #25
lurok
Commodore

One thing I like about the Trek movies is that there can be good moments even in the bad films.

1) TMP - Spock's post-V'ger walk speech
2) TWOK - Khan removing gloves and face mask - fantastic movie reveal (or any of Montalban's speeches)
3) TSFS - Stealing the Enterprise sequence (sublime combination of vfx, editing and music)
4) TFF - Bones' dying father & that 'God' scene (+ the great Barrier music)
5) INS - Picard's mambo
6) NEM - first appearance of Scimitar "she's a predator"
7) 09 - Chekov's 'I can do zat...'
8) ID - Harrison/Khan prison cell reveal; Vengeance attack.
9) FC - any scene with Picard and Lily (esp where shows her Earth first time)
10) GEN - Duras sisters revulsion . And the crash seq still holds up.

Last edited by lurok; September 11 2013 at 09:02 PM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 08:50 PM   #26
Smellmet
Commander

Loving number 9, classic Jean-Luc

Vengeance attack - Just watched STID again recently, and I wish the warp chase had gone on for longer, with the Enterprise getting a few shots back, the noise the Vengeance makes is absolutely incredible
Old September 16 2013, 12:49 AM   #27
Kinokima
Lieutenant Commander

Lets see this is in no particular order just how they come to my head

1) In The Final Frontier when Kirk says he knows he won't die alone and also when he alludes that Spock and McCoy are like his family. TFF isn't a great movie, but man does it have a lot of great trio moments.

2) All the McCoy as Spock moments in TSFS. I especially love when he tries to do the nerve pinch on the guy in the bar. lol

3) Also from TSFS when McCoy says he doesn't want to lose Spock again.

4) Spock's death scene in Wrath of Khan. Not because I am sad that Spock is dying because I know he is coming back but just because it is a great friendship scene between Kirk & Spock

5) Sulu and Chekov going camping together in TFF. It's just a small scene but I always kind of thought of them as friends so I liked that this film sort of acknowledged that.

6) McCoy curing the old lady of Kidney failure in TVH.

7) The first time we see the Enterprise in TMP. I don't think it has ever looked more beautiful.

8) The ending of the Search for Spock..."Your Name is Jim" but also McCoy tapping his head.

I have to think about my other favorite moments. Don't want to just add anything so I will edit this post.
Kinokima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 01:21 AM   #28
DWF
Vice Admiral

In no special order.

The Klingon intro in TMP.

The crash of the Enterprise D in Generations.

The Enterprise rising up from behind the Reliant in TWOK ready to fire.

The Vengeance not only chasing the Enterprise down at warp but blowing her right out of warp as well very violently.

The stealing of the Enterprise in Star Trek III.

The destruction of the Enterprise in Star Trek III.

Lily Sloane standing up to Picard in First Contact.

The phaser battle on the Narada.

The fight on Kronos in Into Darkness.

The torpedo going though the saucer section in Star Trek IV.

Of course such a list can does change from time to time.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 10:30 AM   #29
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

Some good moments:

FC:
Borg Queen: "Watch your future's End..............DATA!!!!!"

TWOK:
The entire "We are one big, happy fleet!" scene.

TFF:
The campfire scene. So relaxing.

TUC:
The Dinner Scene.

Chang: "I'm constant as the northerrrn starrrr!!!"
Bones: "I'd give real money if he'd shut up"

TVH:
The Arrival of the Probe. That sound!!!

Kirk selling his reading glasses:
Spock: "But weren't those a birthday gift from Dr. McCoy?"
Kirk: "And they will be again, that's the beauty of it."

GEN:
Soren to Geordi: "Normal is what everyone else is and you are not"

Crusher to Data: "Fun" "Do something unexpeced. Get it?"
Data: "Got it." Throws Crusher into the water. LOL

TSFS:
Kruge blowing up Valkris's ship because she has seen the data.

Last edited by Isolinear; September 16 2013 at 10:49 AM.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2013, 10:55 AM   #30
Isolinear
Lieutenant Commander

Smellmet wrote: View Post
Great list, the shot of the Enterprise-A in front of the moon is practically the only decent effects shot in all of TFF
Don't forget the scene where Klaa shoots the Pioneer probe to smithereens. Always liked that one.
Isolinear is offline   Reply With Quote