The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 9 2013, 06:24 PM   #16
jpv2000
Captain

Re: Are the Borg just robotic Zombies?

Makarov wrote: View Post
Speaking of zombies I'm trying to imagine Picard in an actual zombie outbreak, trying to argue for their rights and being diplomatic about it xD

Good one!
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 06:53 PM   #17
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

The Borg weren't zombies to begin with. They were bees. Technology was their pollen. And like bees, they will ignore you unless you swat at them or threaten their hive.

However, with the repeated changes to the Borg, they became zombies, starting with First Contact. They use those arm tubules on you and you eventually become a Borg, much like a zombie would bite would eventually make you a zombie.

Though the writers could never keep things straight. Once the Borg were changed to assimilate people en masse, there's no reason why they should ignore people who "don't pose a threat." That idea is a relic from an obsolete definition of the Borg.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 09:56 PM   #18
Captain_Amasov
Captain

And one more change that was irksome:

From The Best of Both Worlds:

Locutus: "We only wish to raise quality of life, for all species."

From Mortal Coil:

Seven of Nine: "The Kazon. Species three two nine." "Their biological and technological distinctiveness was unremarkable. They were unworthy of assimilation." "Why assimilate a species that would detract from perfection?"
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 01:37 AM   #19
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Voyager was a mess. It was always my idea the change to assimilating cultures came from the Borg cube's interaction with the -D. They captured some humans, made them into Borg and those Federation humans "infected" the Borg with the idea of assimilation. (On a very jaded look, it's essentially what the Federation DOES. Maybe not quite so severely as to make such a bland culture but still...) But Voyager screwed that up by suggest the Borg have ALWAYS assimilated beings for centuries and that it wasn't a fairly new development.
Old September 10 2013, 02:08 AM   #20
Makarov
Commander

I thought TNG already established they previously assimilated other cultures with "We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own"
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:37 AM   #21
Anwar
Vice Admiral

It was TNG itself that changed the Borg, not VOY. TNG couldn't make up its' mind whether the Borg always assimilated people or not. All VOY did was run with what it was given.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:42 AM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

jpv2000 wrote: View Post
Speaking of zombies I'm trying to imagine Picard in an actual zombie outbreak, trying to argue for their rights and being diplomatic about it xD

Good one!
Zombies are people too!
Old September 10 2013, 11:20 AM   #23
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I thought TNG already established they previously assimilated other cultures with "We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own"
That came in "BOBW", in "Q Who" they were only interested in technology.

Anwar wrote: View Post
It was TNG itself that changed the Borg, not VOY. TNG couldn't make up its' mind whether the Borg always assimilated people or not. All VOY did was run with what it was given.
Oh I know TNG changed them between meetings but something happened there that COULD explain the change. But Voyager ruined that idea by suggesting the Borg had ALWAYS being doing this which simply only ruined my interpretation of things to compensate for the discrepancy. The meeting with the Enterprise "changed" things apparently as before that moment the Borg were "neither male nor female, only interested in technology" after the Enterprise they were interested in assimilating cultures (which is, on a basic jaded level, is what the Federation does) so "something" changed with the meeting at System J-25. And it'd be a beautiful bit of harmony if "my idea" was the route they went with. (Which may very well have been their intent) But Voyager made it so the Borg ALWAYS assimilated people and cultures so the ship at System J-25 is the odd one in the group that only wanted technology.
Old September 10 2013, 01:03 PM   #24
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Zombies or Vampires, in essence. They are a threat, and when they bite you, you become one of them.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2013, 04:06 PM   #25
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
That came in "BOBW", in "Q Who" they were only interested in technology.

Oh I know TNG changed them between meetings but something happened there that COULD explain the change. But Voyager ruined that idea by suggesting the Borg had ALWAYS being doing this which simply only ruined my interpretation of things to compensate for the discrepancy. The meeting with the Enterprise "changed" things apparently as before that moment the Borg were "neither male nor female, only interested in technology" after the Enterprise they were interested in assimilating cultures (which is, on a basic jaded level, is what the Federation does) so "something" changed with the meeting at System J-25. And it'd be a beautiful bit of harmony if "my idea" was the route they went with. (Which may very well have been their intent) But Voyager made it so the Borg ALWAYS assimilated people and cultures so the ship at System J-25 is the odd one in the group that only wanted technology.
The only ones saying anything definitive about what the Borg were doing in Q Who? were Q and Guinan. The Borg themselves never stated whether they were only after their tech or not.
Old September 10 2013, 04:54 PM   #26
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

[QUOTE=Anwar;8625697]
The only ones saying anything definitive about what the Borg were doing in Q Who? were Q and Guinan. The Borg themselves never stated whether they were only after their tech or not.
Well... The first Borg drone(s) only analyze the ship's computers and completely ignore the crew (in following encounters the Borg beam aboard and try and to attack/assimilate/capture.) Their only interest seems to be in technology and they only threaten the crew with punishment if they resist an attack. No "biological and technological distinctiveness to our own" statement. The intent of the Borg changed between Q-Who and BOBW, the crew even points this out in BOBW.
Old September 10 2013, 05:05 PM   #27
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Until we witness a Borg eating brainz I say no on the zombie theory. Who knows, if Voyager or Enterprise ran an 8th/5th season respectively, we might have.
Old September 11 2013, 05:05 PM   #28
Anwar
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=Trekker4747;8625916]
Well... The first Borg drone(s) only analyze the ship's computers and completely ignore the crew (in following encounters the Borg beam aboard and try and to attack/assimilate/capture.) Their only interest seems to be in technology and they only threaten the crew with punishment if they resist an attack. No "biological and technological distinctiveness to our own" statement. The intent of the Borg changed between Q-Who and BOBW, the crew even points this out in BOBW.
The crew were only saying "I thought they didn't do this", it's all based on their own assumptions. They have no proof because they have no real knowledge of the Borg.

Presumably once Picard was de-assimilated he learned the whole story about how they do assimilate people.
Old September 11 2013, 05:43 PM   #29
Jaro Stun
Captain

shrt answer, Yes
Star War B
Jaro Stun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2013, 08:39 PM   #30
jpv2000
Captain

Either way, I think the Borg and Zombies are both very cool enemy types.
jpv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote