Nimoy Dead At Eighty-Three
By: T'Bonz on Feb 27

Breaking news: Leonard Nimoy – ‘Mr Spock’ – dies aged 83
By: AntonyF on Feb 27

Hurley Passes
By: T'Bonz on Feb 26

USS Excelsior Model Coming Soon
By: T'Bonz on Feb 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 7 2013, 04:08 AM   #121
Opus
Commodore

Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

That Sawyer quote is priceless. I'm a fan of his work!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 04:13 AM   #122
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
* Kristy Alley is the only true Savvik
I could get behind that one.

Curtis ain't your older brother's Saavik.
Old September 7 2013, 04:25 AM   #123
Opus
Commodore

Kim Cattrall is the real Saavik.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 05:26 AM   #124
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Opus wrote: View Post
Kim Cattrall is the real Saavik.
Rene Auberjonois in a mask? Zoinks!
Old September 7 2013, 05:53 AM   #125
Locutus of Bored
Too Many Secrets

Devon wrote: View Post
I'd like to take us all on a time warp to 1986.

"I dislike what Bennett has done to Star Trek, as well. The tone of the TV series was summed up by Shatner's opening credits narration: "To seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before." None of the three ST movies have explored this theme.
Instead, we see Starfleet as a purely military body. It disappoints me greatly.
Bennett seems to actively dislike the Star Trek the rest of us love. Why else kill Spock? Why else blow up the Enterprise? Sigh." - Robert J. Sawyer - net.StarTrek usergroup 1/28/1986

So yeah... people have been saying the same shit for going on 30 years now

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ek/PgLU07TOoh8
I get what you're going for here and it's a good point, but as an aside, I just have to wonder if Sawyer managed to fall asleep before TMP even started and V'ger showed up, or does that not qualify as "seeking out new life" to him?
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 06:10 AM   #126
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I get what you're going for here and it's a good point, but as an aside, I just have to wonder if Sawyer managed to fall asleep before TMP even started and V'ger showed up, or does that not qualify as "seeking out new life" to him?
Wasn't TMP a case of the "new life" doing the seeking, though? Ultimately our heroes were just trying to protect the Earth.

~FS
Old September 7 2013, 06:14 AM   #127
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

"I dislike what Bennett has done to Star Trek, as well. The tone of the TV series was summed up by Shatner's opening credits narration: "To seek out new life and new civilizations; to boldly go where no man has gone before." None of the three ST movies have explored this theme.
Bennett seems to actively dislike the Star Trek the rest of us love. Why else kill Spock? Why else blow up the Enterprise? Sigh." - Robert J. Sawyer - net.StarTrek usergroup 1/28/1986

I think the Sawyer comments were solely about the movies Harve Benney was in charge of, which would exclude TMP.
Old September 7 2013, 06:42 AM   #128
Locutus of Bored
Too Many Secrets

BillJ wrote: View Post

I think the Sawyer comments were solely about the movies Harve Benney was in charge of, which would exclude TMP.
He said "none of the three movies." At the time of his post, there was only TMP, TWoK, and TSfS. The Voyage Home wouldn't come out until November of 1986 and hadn't even started filming yet at the time of his post (which was in January '86), and even then, the Whale Probe sort of contradicts the seeking out new life criticism again, albeit, like V'Ger it came to them rather than vice versa. Also, while both TMP and TVH have some military aspects as all Trek does (including TOS), they're hardly the more militaristic films of the bunch.

Anyway, it's not a big deal and is a tangent from the good point Devon was making, but I just found it odd.
'First Contact' is the tale of a man who just wants to cash in on his creation so he can get wasted on an island full of naked women, but his fans keep insisting that he's a saintly visionary who has profoundly altered the world. AKA - 'I Don't Want to be a Statue: The Gene Roddenberry Story.'
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 06:53 AM   #129
J. Allen
Remember... Remember.

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Yeah, it's all a beautiful circle of life. Star Trek is not broken. If anything, it's enjoying a resurgent popularity thanks to the efforts of J.J. Abrams and company, who made Star Trek fun again, at least for me.
I've noticed that about your people, Doctor. You find it easier to understand the death of one than the death of a million. You speak about the objective hardness of the Vulcan heart, yet how little room there seems to be in yours. - Spock, The Immunity Syndrome

Leonard Nimoy: 1931 - 2015
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 04:01 PM   #130
Franklin
Rear Admiral

He said "none of the three movies." At the time of his post, there was only TMP, TWoK, and TSfS. The Voyage Home wouldn't come out until November of 1986 and hadn't even started filming yet at the time of his post (which was in January '86), and even then, the Whale Probe sort of contradicts the seeking out new life criticism again, albeit, like V'Ger it came to them rather than vice versa. Also, while both TMP and TVH have some military aspects as all Trek does (including TOS), they're hardly the more militaristic films of the bunch.

Anyway, it's not a big deal and is a tangent from the good point Devon was making, but I just found it odd.
Well, there are other odd points. He says, "Why kill Spock?" as if it was a heartless idea by Bennett. Well, it seems it wasn't even his idea. Nimoy had made it quite clear he was done with Trek after TMP. So much so that when Bennett sat down to write what became TWOK, Spock wasn't even in it. Bennett brought in Jack B. Sowards to help him formulate the story, and it was Sowards who said he could get Nimoy back by writing a death scene no actor could refuse. Originally, Spock was to die early in the movie, and Nimoy did agree to appear. Then, they kept pushing the death scene further and further back into the script. So, Bennett did not "kill off" Spock, and it was actually Spock's death that got Nimoy to sign on to TWOK in the first place. Would Sawyer have preferred no Spock in the movie?

Full story here:
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...-star-trek-ii/

As far as "seeking out new life goes," what the hell was Genesis in the first place? And, rescuing Spock was more or less seeking out new life, too.

Destroying the Enterprise equates to a lack of love for Trek? Whatever.

Starfleet as a military organization? Egads! Obviously, Sawyer never watched the TOS episode "Court Marital". Court martials are military courts. I also guess he ignored the chain of command, ranks of the crew members, or that if there were war, they would be on the front lines.

Geez. I'm going after a guy's post that's 27 years old! Time to stop. It's a nice day, think I'll go outside.
Old September 7 2013, 04:40 PM   #131
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Franklin wrote: View Post
Time to stop. It's a nice day, think I'll go outside.
Who has time for green grass, sunlight and fresh air when the very existence of Star Trek is at stake?!?
Old September 7 2013, 04:43 PM   #132
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Outside is broken anyway. There's heat and spiders and people there.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2013, 04:47 PM   #133
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Time to stop. It's a nice day, think I'll go outside.
Who has time for green grass, sunlight and fresh air when the very existence of Star Trek is at stake?!?
Oh, play to my Trek patriotism, will you? Eh. I just noticed if I go out, I'll have to mow the lawn, anyway. And the car needs washing. Yeah. Better to stay holed-up in here and do some real good!
Old September 7 2013, 04:47 PM   #134
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

And, rescuing Spock was more or less seeking out new life, too.
Spock is old life.
Old September 7 2013, 05:02 PM   #135
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post

And, rescuing Spock was more or less seeking out new life, too.
Spock is old life.
More like middle-aged life. At least for a Vulcan.