RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,725
Posts: 5,842,794
Members: 26,185
Currently online: 488
Newest member: lilliangamb


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 9 2013, 04:42 PM   #151
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

"Could you point at the Dollie and show me how The Bad Robot touched your Star Trek?"

Sindatur raises his wing and points at the Dollie's Heart
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 05:17 PM   #152
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
I always see people write about Anthony. I never see Anthony. He has a more mythological feeling to me, like Zeus.
Pfft. Zeus never had an account at TrekBBS. He's nobody.
__________________
"You could win a chance to come to the premiere of Star Trek Beyond, which
will be enormous fun, because we'll all get really smashed and wreck something."
- Simon Pegg
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 05:31 PM   #153
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: RIP Leonard Nimoy
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

BillJ wrote: View Post
KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post

So much so that it's made it as a full story in Entertainment Weekly now to herald the release of STID on disc.

Thanks, knuckleheads. 100 fans just made Trek fandom a bigger joke with the general public, by saying a movie that the general public liked was the worst Trek movie.


And we wonder why the general public thinks that we're all virgins living in our parents basements.

I think the below clip pretty much says it all:

Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As Fun Watchable
Move over, I need that wall too
__________________
- SeerSGB -
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 05:42 PM   #154
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

Well, when I look at STID and try to figure out what's wrong with Star Trek in general, this is the answer I come up with.

Success and reviews aside, what did STID really accomplish? Outside of potentially adding Carol Marcus to the crew roster (all depends if they want to bring her back), nothing really happens in this movie that signifies any real change. Bob Orci argues that thanks to this movie, Kirk has now earned the Captain's chair! Well, in my opinion, he earned the Captain's chair during the pre-title sequence when he violated the Prime Directive to save Spock. That's what I'd expect not only Kirk to do, but every Starfleet Captain to do. Yes, he lied in his report, but that should have been the real issue. Not violating the Prime Directive.

Sacrificing himself on the other hand? I don't see it as earning the Captain's chair. Anyone can sacrifice themselves to save the day. Spock did that in the last movie when he rammed the Jellyfish into the Narada, but nobody gave him any commendation. You could argue that he was saved in the end, but so was Kirk in this movie.

And it all ends the same exact way the last movie ended. After spending a good chunk of the movie on Earth, the crew are now together on the Enterprise, reporting in and getting ready to head out into deep space complete with the Star Trek opening monologue. But since the idea of exploring deep space was mostly thrown in as a pre-title sequence where the crew immediately went back to Earth, I don't have any real confidence that the writers will take that promise seriously. As Damon Lindelof said, if your a big budget action movie, you've got to save the world. I have a strong feeling we'll be back at Earth as one of the main settings/perils for the third movie.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 05:45 PM   #155
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: alt.nerd.obsessive.pic
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

Jeyl wrote: View Post

Success and reviews aside, what did STID really accomplish?
What more did it need to accomplish?
__________________
"Just give me two seconds, alright, you mad bastard!" - Montgomery Scott, Star Trek Into Darkness
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 05:59 PM   #156
JWPlatt
Captain
 
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

What did STID accomplish?

It entertained.

Anything more is too existential to ponder. Our sun will swallow the Earth in a great red ball of fire in 4 or 6 billion years, so what does anything really accomplish?
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 06:40 PM   #157
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Well, when I look at STID and try to figure out what's wrong with Star Trek in general, this is the answer I come up with.

Success and reviews aside, what did STID really accomplish? Outside of potentially adding Carol Marcus to the crew roster (all depends if they want to bring her back), nothing really happens in this movie that signifies any real change. Bob Orci argues that thanks to this movie, Kirk has now earned the Captain's chair! Well, in my opinion, he earned the Captain's chair during the pre-title sequence when he violated the Prime Directive to save Spock. That's what I'd expect not only Kirk to do, but every Starfleet Captain to do. Yes, he lied in his report, but that should have been the real issue. Not violating the Prime Directive.

Sacrificing himself on the other hand? I don't see it as earning the Captain's chair. Anyone can sacrifice themselves to save the day. Spock did that in the last movie when he rammed the Jellyfish into the Narada, but nobody gave him any commendation. You could argue that he was saved in the end, but so was Kirk in this movie.

And it all ends the same exact way the last movie ended. After spending a good chunk of the movie on Earth, the crew are now together on the Enterprise, reporting in and getting ready to head out into deep space complete with the Star Trek opening monologue. But since the idea of exploring deep space was mostly thrown in as a pre-title sequence where the crew immediately went back to Earth, I don't have any real confidence that the writers will take that promise seriously. As Damon Lindelof said, if your a big budget action movie, you've got to save the world. I have a strong feeling we'll be back at Earth as one of the main settings/perils for the third movie.
Well, Kirk's sacrifice also made him face the reality that there are no-win scenarios (bear in mind he doesn't know he'll really survive). He was essentially reliving his father's moment in the Kelvin's captain's chair. An essential part of Kirk's character in the Prime Universe was his belief that he would always be able to cheat death. There's always a way out. In TWOK he realized he was wrong with the loss of Spock.

(I also think it was planned that Spock would be beamed out of the Jellyfish before it rammed into the Narada. So it wasn't really a suicidal/sacrificial run.)

As far as being Earth-centered goes, TMP started with Kirk on Earth and was about saving the Earth; in TWOK the mission started from Earth; TSFS started with Kirk on Earth; TVH was set on Earth and about saving it; in TUC Kirk's mission started from Earth (and coincidental to STID, became a mission to stop a plan for a Klingon-Federation war that would threaten Earth); GEN had Earth scenes; FC was set on Earth and was about saving it; NEM was about stopping a Romulan-Federation war that would of course threaten Earth.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 07:10 PM   #158
beamMe
Commodore
 
Location: Europa
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Success and reviews aside, what did STID really accomplish?
Making the first relevant social commentary in Trek in over 20-25 years while telling an entertaining story.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 08:31 PM   #159
Awesome Possum
Mad With Power
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Awesome Possum Land
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

beamMe wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
Success and reviews aside, what did STID really accomplish?
Making the first relevant social commentary in Trek in over 20-25 years while telling an entertaining story.
And one that we as a society should really consider and I can't think of another blockbuster that has done something similar.
__________________
I have existed from the creation of the forum and I shall exist until the last thread is deleted from the server. Although I have taken the form of Awesome Possum, I am all posters as I am no poster and therefore I am a Mod.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 09:17 PM   #160
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: RIP Leonard Nimoy
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

Franklin wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
Well, when I look at STID and try to figure out what's wrong with Star Trek in general, this is the answer I come up with.

Success and reviews aside, what did STID really accomplish? Outside of potentially adding Carol Marcus to the crew roster (all depends if they want to bring her back), nothing really happens in this movie that signifies any real change. Bob Orci argues that thanks to this movie, Kirk has now earned the Captain's chair! Well, in my opinion, he earned the Captain's chair during the pre-title sequence when he violated the Prime Directive to save Spock. That's what I'd expect not only Kirk to do, but every Starfleet Captain to do. Yes, he lied in his report, but that should have been the real issue. Not violating the Prime Directive.

Sacrificing himself on the other hand? I don't see it as earning the Captain's chair. Anyone can sacrifice themselves to save the day. Spock did that in the last movie when he rammed the Jellyfish into the Narada, but nobody gave him any commendation. You could argue that he was saved in the end, but so was Kirk in this movie.

And it all ends the same exact way the last movie ended. After spending a good chunk of the movie on Earth, the crew are now together on the Enterprise, reporting in and getting ready to head out into deep space complete with the Star Trek opening monologue. But since the idea of exploring deep space was mostly thrown in as a pre-title sequence where the crew immediately went back to Earth, I don't have any real confidence that the writers will take that promise seriously. As Damon Lindelof said, if your a big budget action movie, you've got to save the world. I have a strong feeling we'll be back at Earth as one of the main settings/perils for the third movie.
Well, Kirk's sacrifice also made him face the reality that there are no-win scenarios (bear in mind he doesn't know he'll really survive). He was essentially reliving his father's moment in the Kelvin's captain's chair. An essential part of Kirk's character in the Prime Universe was his belief that he would always be able to cheat death. There's always a way out. In TWOK he realized he was wrong with the loss of Spock.

(I also think it was planned that Spock would be beamed out of the Jellyfish before it rammed into the Narada. So it wasn't really a suicidal/sacrificial run.)

As far as being Earth-centered goes, TMP started with Kirk on Earth and was about saving the Earth; in TWOK the mission started from Earth; TSFS started with Kirk on Earth; TVH was set on Earth and about saving it; in TUC Kirk's mission started from Earth (and coincidental to STID, became a mission to stop a plan for a Klingon-Federation war that would threaten Earth); GEN had Earth scenes; FC was set on Earth and was about saving it; NEM was about stopping a Romulan-Federation war that would of course threaten Earth.
While waiting on a phone call, I decided to dice up all 12 movies

__________________
- SeerSGB -
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 09:30 PM   #161
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Cyrus wrote: View Post
What happened, did he get banned?
Didn't he eat his own shoes because he always said with 100% certainty that it won't be Khan?
Dennis departed for his own reasons. As for the STID thing, it's the exact opposite. He always claimed it was Khan. But I bet you knew this already.

mos6507 wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
all the others liked it. So go fuck yourself.
I don't remember one block of fans insulting another block of fans in such a childish and rude way before JJ Trek changed the makeup of Trek "fandom" demographics.

Unfortunately, not only is TrekMOVIE broken, but TrekBBS is too.


beamMe wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
Success and reviews aside, what did STID really accomplish?
Making the first relevant social commentary in Trek in over 20-25 years while telling an entertaining story.
Yep. Spot on.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 09:48 PM   #162
SeerSGB
Admiral
 
SeerSGB's Avatar
 
Location: RIP Leonard Nimoy
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

mos6507 wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
all the others liked it. So go fuck yourself.
I don't remember one block of fans insulting another block of fans in such a childish and rude way before JJ Trek changed the makeup of Trek "fandom" demographics.

Unfortunately, not only is TrekMOVIE broken, but TrekBBS is too.
You're not serious, right? The fans have been slinging poo at each other as long as there's been a Star Trek to bitch about.
__________________
- SeerSGB -
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 10:10 PM   #163
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Angmar
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
The only thing that can save Trek is Robert Downey Jr.
If I was Paramount I'd give him 50 million to be in the next movie as Harry Mudd. With him we are guaranteed to reach 1 Billion and finally have a JJTrek film that will break even.
__________________
Just walk away, and there will be an end to the horror.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 10:27 PM   #164
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

You know... I would watch that!
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 11:07 PM   #165
J. Allen
Snuggle Master
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: Ohio, USA
View J. Allen's Twitter Profile
Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

Ditto.
__________________

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.