To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 7 2013, 05:06 PM   #136
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: TrekMOVIE Is Broken

His age doesn't matter. He's not new life in the sense conveyed by "new life, new civilizations".
Old September 7 2013, 09:14 PM   #137
Opus
Commodore

Franklin wrote: View Post
Geez. I'm going after a guy's post that's 27 years old!
You sound like... a JJ Abrams supporter!

Time to stop. It's a nice day, think I'll go outside.
Bah! Reality's overrated.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 04:18 AM   #138
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Just out of curiosity, did I miss something? Is TrekMovie under new management now? What happened?
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 04:26 AM   #139
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
His age doesn't matter. He's not new life in the sense conveyed by "new life, new civilizations".
Meh, seeing as new life and new civilizations pretty much means planet of the week stuff which was covered by season 3 of TOS, Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG, and Seasons 1 and 2 of ENT, all of which fandom complained about I don't think exploration is as important to trek fans as they think it is.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 05:02 AM   #140
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

Most of my favorites are the "bottle" (use permanent ship sets only) episodes or those completely in space or mostly on the bridge (except the NX-01 bridge). But there are exceptional favorites I have such as TNG's "Family" which has little of the ship, nothing "spacey," and no scenes on the bridge at all.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 05:31 AM   #141
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Amasov wrote: View Post
Just out of curiosity, did I miss something? Is TrekMovie under new management now? What happened?
No, it's still Anthony's show - no new management, as far as I'm aware. The main thing which has happened is that he's got more people contributing content instead of doing nearly all of the writing himself. (He's also been posting fewer space-filler entries for the last year or so—which has led some to complain on occasion that "Anthony is AWOL"—but TrekMovie is generally on the spot when there's something newsworthy to report.) This current uproar is over a piece written by a guy who's been contributing editorial articles to TrekMovie for more than a year.
Old September 9 2013, 05:45 AM   #142
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

I always see people write about Anthony. I never see Anthony. He has a more mythological feeling to me, like Zeus.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 07:30 AM   #143
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

Devon wrote: View Post
If you were to read the article, this guy would have you believe that the highest rated blockbuster of the summer and highest grossing film of the franchise is a sign that Star Trek is "no longer popular" and "needs fixing," and the article is based on the Las Vegas "poll."
Box office numbers and popularity are a terrible way to judge quality.

Almost everyone agrees that Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was pretty much crap. Well, it's the highest-grossing Star Wars movie of them all, and the 13th highest-grossing film of all time. So can we stop using box office numbers? They describe marketing effectiveness more than anything.

I agree with the article. Star Trek is broken. There's no focus on a premise anymore. Each installment since the 90's has been about villains to blow up. They might as well rename the franchise 'Space Cops'. It's barely science fiction at this point and has devolved into action pulp.

And it really does belong on TV instead anyway.
Old September 9 2013, 09:19 AM   #144
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Anticitizen wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post
If you were to read the article, this guy would have you believe that the highest rated blockbuster of the summer and highest grossing film of the franchise is a sign that Star Trek is "no longer popular" and "needs fixing," and the article is based on the Las Vegas "poll."

Almost everyone agrees that Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was pretty much crap. Well, it's the highest-grossing Star Wars movie of them all, and the 13th highest-grossing film of all time. So can we stop using box office numbers? They describe marketing effectiveness more than anything.

I agree with the article. Star Trek is broken. There's no focus on a premise anymore. Each installment since the 90's has been about villains to blow up. They might as well rename the franchise 'Space Cops'. It's barely science fiction at this point and has devolved into action pulp.

And it really does belong on TV instead anyway.
Box office numbers are a great way to judge financial success, however, and in that regard, STiD is successful. In terms of popularity, I consider the movie to be of high quality, and a worthy tribute to the Original Series. According to the critics at Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, and a host of other independent organizations, Star Trek Into Darkness is a worthy Star Trek movie. It is financially successful, it is popular, it has a high rating on various independent critic sites. If that's "broken," then I hope every Star Trek movie gets broken all to shit.

In short, Star Trek doesn't need "fixing," especially by fans who want to go back to their comfort zones.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 09:30 AM   #145
dub
Captain

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
I always see people write about Anthony. I never see Anthony. He has a more mythological feeling to me, like Zeus.
This!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 10:11 AM   #146
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Anticitizen wrote: View Post
- Domestic/foreign box office vs budget
- Number of tickets purchased/number of screens shown on vs above
- Critical consensus as measured by Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, etc.
- Theater exit, phone, and other polling of movie viewers
- Blu-Ray/DVD/digital/On Demand sales/downloads
- To a lesser extent: (BO adjusted for inflation & compared with older similar films, merchandising/peripheral media sales, cable/satellite bidding price based on anticipated popularity, awards received, illegal downloads ((yes, this is sometimes measured)), etc.)

When taken together those are the only way to get any kind of objective gauge on the quality or lack thereof of a film. It's an imperfect system to be sure (and studios often like to fudge the numbers to recoup even more money or stiff the people working on the films), but it's the only one that's not based on a single opinion or anecdotal evidence posing as a universal truth.

By all of the metrics above that can be or have been measured so far, Into Darkness was a big success. That doesn't mean you have to think it was a good movie, but that also doesn't mean that your impression of the movie plus your informal read of online outspoken fandom opinion trumps the numbers and non-biased mass critical/viewer polling.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 12:35 PM   #147
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Out of 231,000 people who saw it, 91% liked it with the average rating of 4.3 out of 5. What else do we need to gauge the quality of a film. People liked it.

Old September 9 2013, 02:54 PM   #148
Opus
Commodore

Obviously 100 angry fans out of 15,000 at a Star Trek Convention have more influence!

Grrrr...
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 04:10 PM   #149
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

Opus wrote: View Post
Obviously 100 angry fans out of 15,000 at a Star Trek Convention have more influence!

Grrrr...
So much so that it's made it as a full story in Entertainment Weekly now to herald the release of STID on disc.

Thanks, knuckleheads. 100 fans just made Trek fandom a bigger joke with the general public, by saying a movie that the general public liked was the worst Trek movie.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2013, 04:17 PM   #150
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post

So much so that it's made it as a full story in Entertainment Weekly now to herald the release of STID on disc.

Thanks, knuckleheads. 100 fans just made Trek fandom a bigger joke with the general public, by saying a movie that the general public liked was the worst Trek movie.

And we wonder why the general public thinks that we're all virgins living in our parents basements.

I think the below clip pretty much says it all:

Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As Fun Watchable