Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old February 5 2014, 11:54 PM   #991
Tom Servo
Commodore

Re: NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

Yanks wrote: View Post
archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post

Manning is:

- 2nd in career passing yards
- 1st in career playoff passing yards
- 2nd in career touchdowns
- 4th in career playoff touchdowns
- 2nd in career passer rating
- 2nd in career sack percentage

And that's all-time, not just active quarterbacks. On what planet is that "very good, just not special?"
Apparently the difference between "very good" and "special" is the ability to single-handedly win games in spite of what the rest of the team might be doing.
See that's the thing. "Single-handedly" always has to apply to the teams he has gotten to the plays and the Superbowls.

Look at pretty boy Brady. Alway a good defense and always a great O line. (when he won the superbowls).

Read that article posted previously in this thread.
And Manning for the most part, always had a better receiving corp to work with. Brady has done more with less over the length of his career on the offensive side of the ball.

I must ask though, what is it with this nations defense of Peyton Manning? Is it the down home aw shucks personality? When the guy shits the bed in MULTIPLE playoff appearances, there is always the group that will just rush to defend him and his legacy. He is one of the greatest QBs of all time, with a bad postseason legacy, considering his talent. Why is that so hard to say or admit?

Meanwhile Tom Brady has been Manning's equivalent (roughly so, I realize Manning has better regulars season numbers), for more the a decade, and yet we still get shit calling him "Pretty Boy Brady". Why doesn't he get the respect from the regular NFL fanbase that Manning does? Is it the Patriots thing? Is it his connection with Darth Hoodie? He and Manning will be considered the best QBs of this generation, but I know who I would take if I had a game that I needed to win.

Listening to Mike Francessa rant about how Peyton's legacy isn't tarnished by it, and how losing in the superbowl isn't shameful, while at the same time ripping BB and Brady for not winning one in a decade (though they've been to two and lost both by miracle plays) drives me crazy. People are always willing to make excuses for Manning, while similarly dumping on Brady.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old February 6 2014, 01:16 AM   #992
Davros
Fleet Admiral

gblews wrote: View Post
I'm really glad Peyton isn't publicly doing what some of his his supporters here are; that is, blaming his teammates for the loss and taking no responsibility himself.
Well his teammate at the center position sure deserves a pretty big part of that blame.
Old February 6 2014, 01:19 AM   #993
Scout101
Admiral

Unless he also got confused by the 25 different things Manning shouted out while running around, or couldn't hear the correct nonsense over the crowd noise. Complex nonsense gets credit for occasionally drawing the other team offsides, but this is the fairly obvious risk...

And in any event, that made the game 2-0. I'll even give you 5-0 for the field goal on the next drive. Manning couldn't overcome that?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old February 6 2014, 01:38 AM   #994
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Unless he also got confused by the 25 different things Manning shouted out while running around, or couldn't hear the correct nonsense over the crowd noise. Complex nonsense gets credit for occasionally drawing the other team offsides, but this is the fairly obvious risk...
He should be used to Manning doing that as he's been doing it all season.

And in any event, that made the game 2-0. I'll even give you 5-0 for the field goal on the next drive. Manning couldn't overcome that?
He cannot do it on his own. Receivers jumping back on the wrong side of the 1st down line didn't help. Manning made his share of mistakes, but it doesn't all rest on his shoulders.
Old February 6 2014, 04:46 AM   #995
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Did anyone else go to the Hawks parade today? I did, and it was GLORIOUS!
Old February 6 2014, 05:13 AM   #996
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Seahawks? Bah way to dwell on last season. All eyes on SB XLIX
Old February 6 2014, 06:01 AM   #997
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Sore loser, somebody is...
Old February 6 2014, 06:37 AM   #998
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Sore loser is still better than sore "winner"

Not that my team has lost to Seattle in any legitimate fashion since 2006.
Old February 6 2014, 07:02 AM   #999
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

2010 didn't count?

But I was teasing you a bit. Until today, I'd never gone to a Super Bowl parade and was seeing if anyone else here was there.
Old February 6 2014, 07:09 AM   #1000
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Chargers fan, I am not.

Anyway, congrats on the Super Bowl victory, but I'm hoping for a measure of revenge on Seattle next season.
Old February 6 2014, 09:03 AM   #1001
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Did anyone else go to the Hawks parade today? I did, and it was GLORIOUS!
That must of been fucking nuts down there an estimated 700,000 turnout holy shit I could almost hear you in Victoria, lol
Congrats to your team and city.

Link
Old February 6 2014, 03:24 PM   #1002
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

It was nuts! I was there with my nieces and sister-in-law. We tried going on the bus, but every bus was packed. So we ended up driving to her parents' house. Her father drove us close to the train station and then we were in the crowd. It was big and noisy, but that was part of the fun. We ended up getting a spot near CenturyLink Field and it was worth waiting for the team to show up. I didn't get a lot of pictures; I spent most of the time making sure my nieces could see. It was awesome when the team came by.

ETA: As for the link... it was business beating the Broncos. But I did feel bad for Peyton and the Broncos.
Old February 6 2014, 03:38 PM   #1003
Yanks
Fleet Captain

I didn't feel bad for him or the Bronco either.

Quite simply put, the Seahawks were more physical than the Broncos.

...and the officials will not call the secondary like they did all year.

Which is unfair to a team like the Broncos if you think about it.

I say either enforce the rules, or get rid of them.

Most of the new rules shouldn't be there anyways.
Old February 6 2014, 05:19 PM   #1004
Scout101
Admiral

Rules in question only exist to try and help Peyton in the first place. Colts got so man-handled by the Pats back in the day that their GM (also on the competition committee) had the rules changed to a degree that's drastically changed the league into a pass-happy league.

But in the playoffs, it trends back towards how it was played 10 years ago, and contact is more allowable. Agree that they should call it the same all season, though. Just think it should be closer to the way they called it in the Superbowl and not the 'flag for looking at the WR with a mean expression on your face' way it is in the regular season.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old February 6 2014, 07:17 PM   #1005
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I felt bad in the sense that Peyton had such a horrid day and that hey, the Hawks have been there too.
Closed Thread