RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 642
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old January 12 2014, 02:44 PM   #661
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Re: NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
I think everyone knows who I am rooting for.
You're forgiven.

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Who wouldn't want to see Carolina or San Diego in the Super Bowl?
San Diego? Hell no. Any AFC team who gets in the way of Peyton this year is on my shit list. Especially SmoothieX's Patriots. Carolina I wouldn't mind being the Broncos' opponent in Super Bowl XLVIII.

Spider wrote: View Post
LOL at Colston. What an idiot.
I wasn't actually rooting for the Saints, but that was one bonehead play. WTF? Just go out of bounds! I mean, all that the Saints needed to go their way probably still would not have, but at least they would still have a shot at it.

Oh, and who else thinks the 10-second run-off rule is both stupid and a chicken shit way to end a game, especially one that was so closely contested?
Old January 12 2014, 03:44 PM   #662
Tom Servo
Commodore

Caligula wrote: View Post
SmoothieX wrote: View Post
I think everyone knows who I am rooting for.
You're forgiven.

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Who wouldn't want to see Carolina or San Diego in the Super Bowl?
San Diego? Hell no. Any AFC team who gets in the way of Peyton this year is on my shit list. Especially SmoothieX's Patriots. Carolina I wouldn't mind being the Broncos' opponent in Super Bowl XLVIII.
Hey now, its not our fault Peyton always blows it in the postseason.

Go SD. Go Pats.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old January 12 2014, 08:06 PM   #663
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Spider wrote: View Post
I'm jumping on the Seattle bandwagon for the rest of the playoffs, I've got relatives up there.
I'm totally on the bandwagon. Such a tremendously impressive team. The Patriots unfortunately also looked really strong yesterday, but the Seahawks have been, from everything I've seen this year, undoubtedly the most consistently dominant team.

And my mancrush on Lynch almost equals that on Cam Newton.

Last edited by Roger Wilco; January 12 2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old January 12 2014, 08:31 PM   #664
tighr
Commodore

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
I've read some great analysis on his postseason losses, and while he's made mistakes (what QB hasn't? No one is perfect) he's largely the reason those teams were even in position to win in the first place. The supporting cast doesn't do him any favors in the post season (Rahim Moore, anyone?).

This actually brings up something I was thinking about the other day. Tom Brady begins his career with 3 Super Bowl wins in his first four seasons, and has gone 9 seasons since without a Super Bowl win. He's largely riding on the coattails of his past success. If Petyon Manning somehow won this season and then again in one of the next two seasons, would that have an impact on the legacy of both quarterbacks? Its a stretch for that to happen, and dominos have to fall in place, but what's more important: winning one at the beginning of your career when you're just a piece of the puzzle, or winning one at the end when the team is built around you?
Old January 12 2014, 08:58 PM   #665
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Tom Brady begins his career with 3 Super Bowl wins in his first four seasons, and has gone 9 seasons since without a Super Bowl win. He's largely riding on the coattails of his past success.
You make a point, let's hope it never hits 10.
Old January 12 2014, 09:02 PM   #666
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Shit, looks like the 49ers are winning.
Old January 12 2014, 10:08 PM   #667
tighr
Commodore

Hahaha the guys on CBS NFL Today talking about quarterbacks, and saying that unless you win a Super Bowl you're not allowed in the conversation. Meanwhile, Marino sitting over there with a tear in his eye...

EDIT: To his credit, he tried to get Boomer Esiason to help him out. Boomer to Collinsworth's broken up pass in Super Bowl XXIII would have given Boomer a Super Bowl win that season instead of Montana.
Old January 13 2014, 01:29 AM   #668
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

News: The Bears have decided to retain Mel Tucker as their defensive coordinator, and fired their defensive line and linebackers coaches.

Views: FUCK
Old January 13 2014, 02:09 AM   #669
Use of Time
Commodore

That was some high quality trolling from Kaepernick today. Busting out Superman before kissing the tattoos. The Panthers looked good but seemed more interested in running their mouths than winning four quarters.
Old January 13 2014, 02:33 AM   #670
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

tighr wrote: View Post
Tom Servo wrote: View Post
I've read some great analysis on his postseason losses, and while he's made mistakes (what QB hasn't? No one is perfect) he's largely the reason those teams were even in position to win in the first place. The supporting cast doesn't do him any favors in the post season (Rahim Moore, anyone?).
I'm betting you're talking about this article/ I thought it was a very interesting read as well. That is about as crappy luck as any team or QB can have on a regular basis.

I'm extremely happy about Denver moving on! When the the Chargers managed to pull it back to within one score, I was having flashbacks to the Baltimore game and was confident Denver would find a way to lose it. Glad they held on.

I hope Quentin Jammer doesn't play next week against the Patriots. He has done nothing but get his ass beaten like a fucking pinata all season. Everytime he's in, he gets burned badly and regularly. Brady will not wait until the fourth quarter to start victimizing him.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old January 13 2014, 02:34 AM   #671
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Niners are going back to Seattle. It seemed like the inevitable match up since week 2 of the season, and it's appropriate that it's these two teams in the championship game. It's going to be hard, it's going to be loud, but I hope the 49ers find a way to get it done.

Go Niners.
Old January 13 2014, 02:41 AM   #672
Use of Time
Commodore

Pretty good set of playoff games so far but I'm really excited about the final matchups we ended up with. You couldn't ask for better storylines going into the conference championships.
Old January 13 2014, 02:43 AM   #673
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Pretty good set of playoff games so far but I'm really excited about the final matchups we ended up with. You couldn't ask for better storylines going into the conference championships.
Neither could the NFL. I bet they are absolutely loving this, and any two teams in the Super Bowl would be a great match up.
Old January 13 2014, 02:48 AM   #674
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I, for one, have no desire to endure a week of "Brady v. Manning IV" blabbering leading up to the game (it's already all over my Twitter stream), and the on-air masturbation that will accompany it. Jim Nantz is actually going to have an orgasm live on national television, mark my words.

Given that every Seahawks fan I've ever met is an insufferable shitlord, I'm tired of seeing the 49ers in the NFCCG, the Patriots are the Patriots ... fuck it, go Broncos, Champ Bailey deserves a ring. (They're going to get demolished next week.)
Old January 13 2014, 03:02 AM   #675
Use of Time
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
I, for one, have no desire to endure a week of "Brady v. Manning IV" blabbering leading up to the game (it's already all over my Twitter stream), and the on-air masturbation that will accompany it. Jim Nantz is actually going to have an orgasm live on national television, mark my words.

Given that every Seahawks fan I've ever met is an insufferable shitlord, I'm tired of seeing the 49ers in the NFCCG, the Patriots are the Patriots ... fuck it, go Broncos, Champ Bailey deserves a ring. (They're going to get demolished next week.)
Well shit. I'm...sorry? I'm hoping for a Broncos run as well though.