Project Enterprise Campaign Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Star Trek Live In Concert Update
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Crofoot: Angel One And The Offspring
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old December 16 2013, 01:45 AM   #526
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Re: NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

Who Dat?

The Rams, that's who!

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old December 16 2013, 02:24 AM   #527
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Wow, and I thought Dallas's defense was bad before! What a comeback by the Packers!
Old December 16 2013, 03:09 AM   #528
Use of Time
Commodore

While Romo will undoubtedly catch the blame for the pick my first complaint is the playcalling in the second half which effectively removed Demarco Murray from the game. Murray was averaging 7 1/2 yards a carry in the game. The defense also gave up five consecutive TD's on GB possessions. The pick wasn't really on Romo as Beasley stopped running on his rout letting the ball go unchallenged to the GB corner. Either way my patience with this team has hit a brick wall.
Old December 16 2013, 03:22 AM   #529
Caligula
Vice Admiral

When was the last time a punter had to go to the locker room due to a "dental injury"?
Old December 16 2013, 03:58 AM   #530
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Caligula wrote: View Post
When was the last time a punter had to go to the locker room due to a "dental injury"?

It was a broken jaw.
Old December 16 2013, 04:15 AM   #531
Use of Time
Commodore

Well that'll do it.
Old December 16 2013, 05:40 AM   #532
chrisspringob
Commodore

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
The NFL flexed the Chicago@Philly game into Sunday night for Week 16.

There's actually at least one scenario (pending the outcome of the other Week 15 and Week 16 games) by which it's already decided going into that game that the game is meaningless from a playoff perspective for Philly*, that they're out of wildcard contention, and that their only path into the playoffs is beating Dallas in Week 17 to win the NFC East.

So the NFL's move to put that game in primetime could potentially blow up in their face, if Philly is playing for nothing, and plays conservative with its starters to protect them from injury, looking ahead to the actually meaningful game against Dallas the following week.

I actually can't remember any previous years in which a team played a meaningless game in Week 16, before a meaningful game in Week 17, but I'm sure it's happened.

* This assumes that they don't care much whether they're the #3 or #4 seed…..which most teams don't seem to care much about, and which usually doesn't affect how many home games you have, though I guess the 2006 AFC playoffs would be one exception.
Looks like there's a very good chance of this scenario coming to pass. If Dallas wins its game against Washington next Sunday afternoon, then Philly will go into the Sunday night game against Chicago knowing that whether or not they win will have no bearing on whether they make the playoffs, since their only path into the playoffs is to win the East, which they could then only do by beating Dallas in the season finale.

So all they'd be playing for against Chicago is the possibility of being the #3 seed rather than the #4 seed, which might not even be much of a bonus depending on who their wild card opponents might be. In that case, there won't be much incentive for Philly to go all out in a game that doesn't mean very much for them. Kelly presumably won't hesitate to pull the starters if the game starts to get lopsided.
Old December 16 2013, 06:59 AM   #533
tighr
Commodore

Great. I was in the playoffs in two of my three fantasy football leagues this season, and it looks like I'm knocked out of both.

In the first league, which I won last year, I'm going up against Jamaal Charles. He put up 62 pts. My stud? Jimmy Graham, who put up 4 pts. I'm currently down by about 60 with two players left, but seriously doubt they'll come anywhere close to 60 combined. Monster games (by rational standards) from Garcon and Deshaun Jackson nullified by Alex Smith's 5 TD "bombs" to Charles.

In the second league, I was in first place all season until I had a late season slide due to some injuries, but still limped into the playoffs in 2nd place with a first round bye. Injuries to Adrian Peterson and a poor fantasy effort by almost every member of my team, including Peyton Manning, leave me going into tomorrow's game down 23 with only Reggie Bush left. Reggie might not even play, and if he does he's doubtful to get 23 pts.

So, yay, all I needed to do was make the Super Bowl in ONE of these three leagues to make back my buy-in (don't even have to win it), and now I'm walking away from the season with zero.
Old December 16 2013, 07:14 AM   #534
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Lots of teams with opportunities this weekend, with nobody in the AFC really taking advantage. Denver falling opened the door for New England to take the first seed. They ended up falling to Miami. NE falling then opened the door for Cincinnati to move up to the second seed. They ended up blowing that opportunity as well. The only AFC team to really do themselves any favors this weekend was the Dolphins, and they're still waiting on Baltimore's results to see if their efforts did them any good.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old December 16 2013, 01:09 PM   #535
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post

It was a broken jaw.
Lead with his helmet much?
Old December 16 2013, 01:43 PM   #536
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post

It was a broken jaw.
Lead with his helmet much?
You almost have to against those tough guy punters. Jeez, he almost knocked his man purse off.
Old December 16 2013, 01:44 PM   #537
Marten
Captain

The NFL flexed the Chicago@Philly game into Sunday night for Week 16.

There's actually at least one scenario (pending the outcome of the other Week 15 and Week 16 games) by which it's already decided going into that game that the game is meaningless from a playoff perspective for Philly*, that they're out of wildcard contention, and that their only path into the playoffs is beating Dallas in Week 17 to win the NFC East.

So the NFL's move to put that game in primetime could potentially blow up in their face, if Philly is playing for nothing, and plays conservative with its starters to protect them from injury, looking ahead to the actually meaningful game against Dallas the following week.

I actually can't remember any previous years in which a team played a meaningless game in Week 16, before a meaningful game in Week 17, but I'm sure it's happened.

* This assumes that they don't care much whether they're the #3 or #4 seed…..which most teams don't seem to care much about, and which usually doesn't affect how many home games you have, though I guess the 2006 AFC playoffs would be one exception.
Looks like there's a very good chance of this scenario coming to pass. If Dallas wins its game against Washington next Sunday afternoon, then Philly will go into the Sunday night game against Chicago knowing that whether or not they win will have no bearing on whether they make the playoffs, since their only path into the playoffs is to win the East, which they could then only do by beating Dallas in the season finale.

So all they'd be playing for against Chicago is the possibility of being the #3 seed rather than the #4 seed, which might not even be much of a bonus depending on who their wild card opponents might be. In that case, there won't be much incentive for Philly to go all out in a game that doesn't mean very much for them. Kelly presumably won't hesitate to pull the starters if the game starts to get lopsided.
Is it to late for them to flex in another game? Either way, there are games that are more important for the playoffs than the Lions-Bears bearth.
Old December 16 2013, 03:53 PM   #538
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

^I don't think they can flex a matchup into a SNF game and then flex it right back out. If nothing else, it would put the networks in a bind because it could potentially cock up their schedules and their broadcasting crews.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old December 16 2013, 04:50 PM   #539
Captain Mike
Commodore

[QUOTE=Ar-Pharazon;9020392]

It was a broken jaw.
Led with his shoulder...BIG difference. It was a legal hit.
Old December 16 2013, 05:08 PM   #540
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Well, it was a legal hit because it wasn't a defenseless receiver, but he didn't lead with his shoulder. He came pretty much head on, um, with his head.