Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old December 9 2013, 10:45 PM   #496
Green Shirt
Commodore

Re: NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

Scout101 wrote: View Post

On the plus side, Billy Cundiff came through for the Patriots again
Maybe the next team he kicks for will make him inactive when they face the Pats.
Old December 10 2013, 02:36 AM   #497
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
The Packers finally won without Aaron Rogers. Granted, they just squeaked past Atlanta, but their playoff hopes are alive. I figured if they lost Rogers would be shut down for the season. Now there's still a sliver of a chance. Go Pack!!
The Packers only still have a real chance because the Lions can't seem to close the deal. I think it's time to consider a new coach.

Schwartz has done a great job bringing them back from that 0-16 disaster, but they seem to have plateaued, continue to be undisciplined and can't seem to take that next step. A new, veteran coach needs to be brought in to finish the job he started.
Old December 10 2013, 01:25 PM   #498
Use of Time
Commodore

Monte Kiffin. Good hire Jerry. I believe the Cowboys defense is in the running for the third worst in NFL history. If it wasn't for Romo earning his money this year they would have been out of the race completely. An Eagles conference win is becoming inevitable.
Old December 10 2013, 05:56 PM   #499
tighr
Commodore

Use of Time wrote: View Post
If it wasn't for Romo earning his money this year they would have been out of the race completely.
I am not a fan of Romo, and I remember thinking the contract he signed was a big mistake, but you're absolutely correct. He's earning his pay this year. 98.3 QBR, 27:7 TD:INT, 3200 yds.

Compare that to the other guy who signed a big contract, Joe Flacco: 77.0 QBR, 18:17 TD:INT, and also with 3200 yds.

I disagreed with both contracts, but understood why they were made. You gotta pay that guy what he thinks he's worth, because the odds of finding someone better for less are non-existent in the NFL right now. Your options are going to the draft and getting a rookie, or sticking with the veteran who is merely "serviceable". There's only a handful of Rodgers/Peyton/Brady/Brees in the league, everyone else is a step below.
Old December 11 2013, 08:11 AM   #500
chrisspringob
Commodore

The NFL flexed the Chicago@Philly game into Sunday night for Week 16.

There's actually at least one scenario (pending the outcome of the other Week 15 and Week 16 games) by which it's already decided going into that game that the game is meaningless from a playoff perspective for Philly*, that they're out of wildcard contention, and that their only path into the playoffs is beating Dallas in Week 17 to win the NFC East.

So the NFL's move to put that game in primetime could potentially blow up in their face, if Philly is playing for nothing, and plays conservative with its starters to protect them from injury, looking ahead to the actually meaningful game against Dallas the following week.

I actually can't remember any previous years in which a team played a meaningless game in Week 16, before a meaningful game in Week 17, but I'm sure it's happened.

* This assumes that they don't care much whether they're the #3 or #4 seed…..which most teams don't seem to care much about, and which usually doesn't affect how many home games you have, though I guess the 2006 AFC playoffs would be one exception.
Old December 11 2013, 01:16 PM   #501
Use of Time
Commodore

tighr wrote: View Post
If it wasn't for Romo earning his money this year they would have been out of the race completely.
I am not a fan of Romo, and I remember thinking the contract he signed was a big mistake, but you're absolutely correct. He's earning his pay this year. 98.3 QBR, 27:7 TD:INT, 3200 yds.

Compare that to the other guy who signed a big contract, Joe Flacco: 77.0 QBR, 18:17 TD:INT, and also with 3200 yds.

I disagreed with both contracts, but understood why they were made. You gotta pay that guy what he thinks he's worth, because the odds of finding someone better for less are non-existent in the NFL right now. Your options are going to the draft and getting a rookie, or sticking with the veteran who is merely "serviceable". There's only a handful of Rodgers/Peyton/Brady/Brees in the league, everyone else is a step below.
Romo is worth every penny. Look at teams like the Steelers and the Giants who now look like a shell of themselves now that they aren't known for their defense anymore. Romo is trying to drag that awful Cowboys team kicking and screaming to the playoffs with a defense that could go down as the worst in NFL history. What's Eli's excuse? I don't think Romo and Flacco are merely servicable QB's either. I think guys like Schaub and Palmer are what you would call servicable QB's.
Old December 11 2013, 03:14 PM   #502
tighr
Commodore

It's easier to compare Flacco and Eli than it is to compare either of those guys to Romo right now.

Flacco and Eli are playing like dogshit this season, but they hang their hats on their Super Bowl wins. Romo has always played good, but has had a tendency to lose the game in the 4th quarter. At least this season when they're losing, it's not his fault (prime example, Dallas/Denver game earlier this year... guy puts up 5 TD, still loses).
Old December 11 2013, 04:05 PM   #503
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Statistically speaking, Romo is probably the fourth- or fifth-best quarterback in the NFL. There are four active quarterbacks with a career passer rating of 96 or above: Rodgers, Brady, Manning the Greater and Romo (and Steve Young is the only retired quarterback above 96). I will never understand why Cowboys fans shit on him.
Old December 11 2013, 05:30 PM   #504
tighr
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
I will never understand why Cowboys fans shit on him.
Because in a game, he looks great looks great looks great looks great looks great and then at the last possible second shits the bed.

It's why he has an entry on Urban Dictionary:

Pulling a "Romo" is when you or a person you know fails miserably under pressure in a crucial moment and looks like a complete and utter fool afterwards.

Man 1: Dude, did you have sex last night?
Man 2: No man, I pulled a Romo and couldn't get it up.
Man 1: Yeah, you definitely got Romo'd.
The Cowboys aren't going to do any BETTER than Romo, because he's so damn good. It's just so frustrating to them when he gets them almost not quite there, and then fails spectacularly.

Old December 11 2013, 05:47 PM   #505
Use of Time
Commodore

Because in a game, he looks great looks great looks great looks great looks great and then at the last possible second shits the bed.

Pulling a "Romo" is when you or a person you know fails miserably under pressure in a crucial moment and looks like a complete and utter fool afterwards.

The Cowboys aren't going to do any BETTER than Romo, because he's so damn good. It's just so frustrating to them when he gets them almost not quite there, and then fails spectacularly.

Except that it is statistically untrue. He has more fourth quarter comeback wins since 2011 than any QB in the NFL.
Old December 11 2013, 06:12 PM   #506
Marten
Captain

Statistically speaking, Romo is probably the fourth- or fifth-best quarterback in the NFL. There are four active quarterbacks with a career passer rating of 96 or above: Rodgers, Brady, Manning the Greater and Romo (and Steve Young is the only retired quarterback above 96). I will never understand why Cowboys fans shit on him.
It's so much easier blaming him than all the other parts that are not working. Which are quite a lot.

In my mind, Romo is easily a top 10 quarterback. What the team needs is a defense that at least is competitive.
Old December 11 2013, 06:40 PM   #507
tighr
Commodore

Except that it is statistically untrue. He has more fourth quarter comeback wins since 2011 than any QB in the NFL.
That's a cherry-picked stat. First of all, he's got less than Eli Manning over that same time period, and Eli led the league in comebacks in 2011 (Romo led the league in 2012). Both have one this year. Second of all, comebacks is a vague stat that requires you to have been down prior to winning the game.

Besides, I already said he's a good quarterback. Relevant statistics do back that up. But it's undeniable that he's had numerous game ending mistakes, especially in high profile games.
Old December 11 2013, 06:52 PM   #508
tighr
Commodore

Got me curious. Here's a good article with some facts about Romo's career:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...chokers/23434/
Old December 11 2013, 08:23 PM   #509
Use of Time
Commodore

Got me curious. Here's a good article with some facts about Romo's career:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...chokers/23434/
Yep, that is my go to article when dealing with most Cowboys fans crying about drafting a replacement or finding another direction at QB. They are going to miss him when he is gone, they just don't know it yet. It's rare to find a guy with his personality too. He has started in Dallas since 2006 and is never in trouble, never flips out on the media no matter how bright the spotlight is in Dallas. He takes shit from his own fans probably more than others but goes out and plays like its white noise. It is going to be hard to find a multi-year starte at QB that can handle that as well as Tony has.
Old December 11 2013, 10:34 PM   #510
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Blaming him for the ineptitude of the defense just doesn't make sense.