RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,674
Members: 24,201
Currently online: 597
Newest member: KieBH84

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 31 2013, 10:24 AM   #121
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Voted again.

That's great news about The Watch. Go, B5.
Old November 4 2013, 01:43 PM   #122
Jan
Commodore

Quite a few people on various sites have asked for more t-shirts. This new design will be available only through November and are being sold at no mark-up through CafePress (which has excellent international shipping rates).

http://www.cafepress.com/freebabylon5

I like them a lot!

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 01:53 PM   #123
Lonemagpie
Writer

Reverend wrote: View Post
Well that's just damn strange, the trailer they've made actually uses the hashtag. Hell, the whole thing is about the campaign! I think we have a fan working at Watch.
The trailer certainly does use the campaign hashtag- I've seen it myself.

Not that I'll be watching, since I have the whole thing on DVD, so why would I watch it on a channel with ad breaks...?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 02:35 PM   #124
Seven of Five
Commodore

Just because?

I very often catch myself watching stuff on telly that I have on DVD. I think it's laziness. I watch stuff on Netflix too that I already own.
Old November 4 2013, 03:01 PM   #125
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Pretty much this. When I'm surfing through and there's nothing good on, I usually settle on something familiar, even if I own it on DVD. Same for films too. I have such a large library that I'm spoilt for choice and often have trouble deciding what I want to watch. There's still something to be said for programmed entertainment as opposed to on-demand.

Anyway, the point of all this isn't to get old fans to watch the show again, it's to give people who've never seen it to check it out and the best way to do that is for it to be on the telly. Getting it on Watch is just the start, now that it's been proven it can be done I anticipate even more assistance and support for the campaign than before. It's easier to get people to jump on a bandwagon after you get the thing rolling.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 04:56 PM   #126
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

Accessibility is good, with more and more people watching streaming services, it's exactly where a series that should get more eyeballs on it should be.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 05:45 PM   #127
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Maybe, maybe not. Not everyone has decent broadband, nor do they have a subscription to Netflix, LoveFilm and the like. Even in this day and age you'll get a lot more NEW viewers on television than you will with an on-demand service. Generally, if it's on-demand it's only going to be watched by and large by people who are already fans or have had it recommended to them by a friend.

Having it on TV in a daily timeslot means that a *lot* more people are just going to happen across it.
Old November 4 2013, 05:49 PM   #128
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

True, but streaming and other internet related services are growing. Classic TV isn't.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 07:36 PM   #129
Reverend
Rear Admiral

We're still a number of years away from the tipping point and this isn't about getting B5 back in 5-10 years when even more people have forgotten it. It's about getting it back on the air asap so that in 5-10 years there will still be an audience and a demand to see it on those future streaming services as something other than an obscure old show that only a relative few dedicated fans even know to look for it.
Old November 4 2013, 07:41 PM   #130
Jan
Commodore

I suppose that technically it is available on streaming sites. You can buy episodes for 1.99 each via Amazon, YouTube or iTunes. That's no way to grow the viewership, though. Does anybody have any thoughts as to how we fans can persuade WB away from that model?
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 09:59 PM   #131
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

To WB execs, I suspect B5 is an irrelevant, near-death cash cow.
Old November 4 2013, 10:10 PM   #132
Lonemagpie
Writer

Seven of Five wrote: View Post
Just because?

I very often catch myself watching stuff on telly that I have on DVD. I think it's laziness. I watch stuff on Netflix too that I already own.
That does actually happen, but if I happen to just catch it, rather than by specifically tuning in for it.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 11:23 PM   #133
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
I suppose that technically it is available on streaming sites. You can buy episodes for 1.99 each via Amazon, YouTube or iTunes. That's no way to grow the viewership, though. Does anybody have any thoughts as to how we fans can persuade WB away from that model?
I'm not sure we'd want to actively discourage any venue, but rather encourage a much more diverse range of them. To do otherwise would I think give off some very mixed signals.

Besides I think it's clear a direct appeal to WB would be fruitless. JMS certainly seems to think that the best way to get WB's attention is to convince enough stations to approach them for the broadcast rights.

Unless of course anyone can think of a brilliant way to make WB's bonkers internal competitiveness work in our favour for a change?
Old November 5 2013, 12:06 AM   #134
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Jan wrote: View Post
Quite a few people on various sites have asked for more t-shirts. This new design will be available only through November and are being sold at no mark-up through CafePress (which has excellent international shipping rates).

http://www.cafepress.com/freebabylon5

I like them a lot!
Cafepress does quality stuff. That's where my store is hosted.
Old November 5 2013, 09:32 AM   #135
david3uk
Cadet

hello from the UK....... B5 has been repeat at bout 3 time in the past 10 years hear........they just started last nite(04/11/13).. oh what a joy to see again
david3uk is offline   Reply With Quote