Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 5 2013, 02:39 AM   #16
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

^Apparently it hasn't been on anywhere state side in a decade.

@ Jan: Pretty sure it's not on over here at the moment, though it defiantly has been in the last few years. Can't remember which channel(s), but I'm almost certain it wasn't C4 like it used to be back in the day.

Anything else you need a hand with just give me a shout. If nothing else I can certainly provide you with a higher resolution version of that logo.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 02:46 AM   #17
Jan
Commodore

Nope. That's the whole point of the campaign - to find channels to show it to help grow the fan base. As far as most of us can tell, B5 hasn't been on TV in the US for ten years or so. Perhaps only five in other countries, but that's why I'm asking the question.

As everybody knows, Trek TOS was cancelled (twice!) due to lousy ratings and then found its fans when it was shown in reruns for years and years afterward. B5's hardly ever been in reruns, particularly at any decent hour, so pretty much the only way for fans to find it is word of mouth.

ETA: Thanks, Reverend, that would be nice. In fact, one page I'm looking to add to the website will be banners, graphics, posters and memes that fans can use to spread the word. If you're interested in doing anything like that, that'd be great!

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 07:47 AM   #18
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Jan wrote: View Post
Nope. That's the whole point of the campaign - to find channels to show it to help grow the fan base. As far as most of us can tell, B5 hasn't been on TV in the US for ten years or so. Perhaps only five in other countries, but that's why I'm asking the question.
Agreed. I guess when I say I hope the show doesn't fade into obscurity, I mean the series itself. I don't really want to see a new addition to the franchise (Even though a real conclusion to the Drakh Plague would be nice but that's not going to happen, despite really enjoying Call to Arms) but more just the franchise being accessible to people. It's a great series and it would be awesome to see new people discover it.
Old September 5 2013, 11:12 AM   #19
Faldor
Fleet Captain

View Faldor's Twitter Profile

People still watch Television? On Television ?!
Old September 5 2013, 11:34 AM   #20
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
ETA: Thanks, Reverend, that would be nice. In fact, one page I'm looking to add to the website will be banners, graphics, posters and memes that fans can use to spread the word. If you're interested in doing anything like that, that'd be great!

Jan
Sure, PM me with what you have in mind and I'll see what I can cook up. In the mean time, here's one I made earlier.

[EDIT]

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Last edited by Reverend; September 5 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old September 6 2013, 01:08 AM   #21
Jan
Commodore

Wow, that's great!! Thanks! PM coming.

Jan
Old September 6 2013, 03:55 PM   #22
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I'm not so sure about this one, so I submit it to the TrekBBS overmind. What do we think? Too cute?

Oh and if anyone wants a high-res version of my avatar, here you go.
Old September 6 2013, 04:03 PM   #23
Jan
Commodore

Oh, that's precious! I know one fan who'll probably want posters made! Talk about your B5 in-joke!

BTW, for those who liked the original T-shirts, there's a Mars version now. Still with profits going to 'Be A Santa' and 'C-Three Foundation'.

That said, while many Rangers are helping out, there are already expenses mounting up and I'm limited in funds these days. So I'm going to be posting some auctions of Very Cool Stuff on Ebay to help defray costs. Seller name is janmschroeder and I hope to have some stuff up later today.

Jan
Old September 6 2013, 04:04 PM   #24
The Stig
Rear Admiral

I'm totally fine with Babylon 5 continuing to languish in obscurity. Like many things from my youth, it really doesn't hold up.

The cheap look of the show, more than anything else, is probably holding it back from being aired again.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 04:15 PM   #25
dansigal
Commander

The Stig wrote: View Post
I'm totally fine with Babylon 5 continuing to languish in obscurity. Like many things from my youth, it really doesn't hold up.

The cheap look of the show, more than anything else, is probably holding it back from being aired again.
I take a little issue with you calling it a "cheap look". The graphics do not hold up well, but that's because the technology has gotten so much better in the last 20 years. B5 was cutting edge in its day, it was the first tv show (or one of the first) to use CGI I believe.

But that being said, the story and characters hold up just fine. I don't see it being a problem at all.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 04:55 PM   #26
Kai "the spy"
Commodore

Last rerun of B5 in Germany, as far as I know, was in 2011. It's apparently not currently on any channel, though the movies get aired on the occasional holiday.

"Fanwankery is what 21st century pop entertainment's all about."
cooleddie74

Kai "the spy" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 05:05 PM   #27
Harvey
Admiral

dansigal wrote: View Post
I take a little issue with you calling it a "cheap look". The graphics do not hold up well, but that's because the technology has gotten so much better in the last 20 years. B5 was cutting edge in its day, it was the first tv show (or one of the first) to use CGI I believe.
I like the series, and wish it would receive an upgrade to HD (which is probably the most damaging factor to its current and future fate in syndication), but the "cheap look" goes above and beyond the dated visual effects (which the cropping to make them widescreen only made look worse). The show didn't have the same funds that Paramount made available to Star Trek and it shows in terms of production design and art direction.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 05:25 PM   #28
dansigal
Commander

Harvey wrote: View Post
I like the series, and wish it would receive an upgrade to HD (which is probably the most damaging factor to its current and future fate in syndication), but the "cheap look" goes above and beyond the dated visual effects (which the cropping to make them widescreen only made look worse). The show didn't have the same funds that Paramount made available to Star Trek and it shows in terms of production design and art direction.
Yeah, that's a fair point, I guess my bigger point, which I failed at making well was that the show itself holds up in spite of all of that. 30 years from now Avatar will be garbage because the effects will be old bag and the story was nothing special, but people still watch Star Wars and Star Trek TOS and a lot of other older shows because they are good shows.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2013, 05:31 PM   #29
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I could care less about how wobbly the sets looked, so long as the story and characters were strong. It doesn't bother me with classic Dr Who, Blake's 7, Red Dwarf or even old Trek. The ONLY thing stopping the show from going HD is the CG, which needs to be done from scratch unless someone can track down the old Lightwave scene files. Just the scene files mind, they don't even need the meshes or image maps since they'd have to be redone anyway.

But as Jan has already said, that's not the topic, so let's drop it, yes?

[EDIT]

OK, clearly running out of ideas now...anyone!?

Last edited by Reverend; September 6 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old September 7 2013, 04:52 AM   #30
Snatcher42
Lieutenant Commander

Harvey wrote: View Post
I like the series, and wish it would receive an upgrade to HD (which is probably the most damaging factor to its current and future fate in syndication)
That's a very good point. Even if it was picked up for syndication, would it gain a significant number of viewers in its dated state? This isn't about what we think of the show, but about the initial impression a first timer might have.

But an HD upgrade isn't happening, so I wonder if our efforts might be better focused on streaming sites like Netflix? That seems like the perfect venue for older shows, especially ones that lend themselves to binge viewing like B5.

Jan said this campaign is "only about getting Babylon 5 back on television in reruns for now...perhaps with a side order of getting it on streaming sites, later." I'd be much more inclined to support an effort that reversed those priorities.

Because lets face it, streaming is the future of television. As for cable and network, Kosh said it best: "they are a dying people. We should let them pass."

Last edited by Snatcher42; September 7 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Snatcher42 is offline   Reply With Quote