RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,417
Posts: 5,506,451
Members: 25,130
Currently online: 435
Newest member: 2278

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 23 2013, 03:46 PM   #181
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

I think the way it works is that you thumbs up the ones you like and thumbs down those you don't then make your own list in order of preference. In fact, now that I look again, it says more people have B5 at the top of their lists than any other show.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 03:18 AM   #182
Triple-F
Lieutenant Commander
 
Triple-F's Avatar
 
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Asking people on a forum called the (Star) Trek Bulletin Board System to vote for Babylon 5, when a variety of trek shows are on the *same* list is . . . . . . . . . . . interesting, I guess. Might explain why B5 has lost some of the ground it made up recently.
__________________
If you're a fan of Babylon 5, visit this facebook page, you might be surprised. ; )
http://www.facebook.com/B5Scrolls
Triple-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 03:37 AM   #183
Jan
Commodore
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Location: ...is insane. --JMS
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Triple-F wrote: View Post
Asking people on a forum called the (Star) Trek Bulletin Board System to vote for Babylon 5, when a variety of trek shows are on the *same* list is . . . . . . . . . . . interesting, I guess. Might explain why B5 has lost some of the ground it made up recently.
Yeah, because I'm *sure* that bunches of them are avidly reading the #FreeBabylon5 thread, right? </sarcasm>

Did you have anything of substance to contribute to the discussion? A letter you've written that you'd like to share? Contact info for a TV station you think might be a good candidate?

On a different note, is anybody here going to be at the Space City Con? Do you have a video camera (or is Santa bringing you one)? I'm looking for a volunteer to film the Free Babylon 5 panel and perhaps film fans a little bet at the table. You can PM me here. Thanks!

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 03:49 AM   #184
Triple-F
Lieutenant Commander
 
Triple-F's Avatar
 
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Substance? Nothing more than I already did to help get the campaign noticed by some fans. Though, and it’s just an observation. On this board there are plenty of sci-fi fans who like various things, and don’t buy into ancient rivalries or dipshit like that. So while there are plenty of people who enjoyed B5 kicking around, I’m willing to make a seriously large bet that there’s a LOT more who enjoyed one Star Trek or another kicking around as well.

So while letting folks know about the #freebabylon5 campaign makes perfect sense on forums like here, and ideally as many others as you can find. Asking to vote for B5 when it’s also up against every trek show is probably counter productive, as far as that poll goes, and trying to get the show up the list. Just an opinion.
__________________
If you're a fan of Babylon 5, visit this facebook page, you might be surprised. ; )
http://www.facebook.com/B5Scrolls
Triple-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 04:48 AM   #185
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

As I said, you can vote for multiple shows on that list and rank them in your own order of preference, so it doesn't really matter if people also vote for Trek, or Firefly, Futurama, Doctor Who etc. etc. The point is keeping B5 visible.

As for posting about it here...you do realise that in order to spread awareness effectively you can't be too picky about where said awareness gets spread, yes? It's not like TrekBBS is some den of B5 hating nutjobs out to sabotage the campaign.

Also, this is the Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy board. People who are *only* interesting in Star Trek have a dozen other boards to visit and mostly likely don't even read these threads.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 10:53 AM   #186
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDonner&Blitzen's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Reverend wrote: View Post
I think the way it works is that you thumbs up the ones you like and thumbs down those you don't then make your own list in order of preference. In fact, now that I look again, it says more people have B5 at the top of their lists than any other show.
Okay, thanks for pointing that out. I voted-- up for a few things, down for a few things, and left most alone. I noticed that Briscoe County was on there twice.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDonner&Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2013, 02:30 PM   #187
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Jan wrote: View Post
Triple-F wrote: View Post
Asking people on a forum called the (Star) Trek Bulletin Board System to vote for Babylon 5, when a variety of trek shows are on the *same* list is . . . . . . . . . . . interesting, I guess. Might explain why B5 has lost some of the ground it made up recently.
Yeah, because I'm *sure* that bunches of them are avidly reading the #FreeBabylon5 thread, right? </sarcasm>

Did you have anything of substance to contribute to the discussion? A letter you've written that you'd like to share? Contact info for a TV station you think might be a good candidate?

On a different note, is anybody here going to be at the Space City Con? Do you have a video camera (or is Santa bringing you one)? I'm looking for a volunteer to film the Free Babylon 5 panel and perhaps film fans a little bet at the table. You can PM me here. Thanks!

Jan
You know, I'm sure posts like this and a few others in the thread are really helping the cause.
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2013, 05:33 PM   #188
Jan
Commodore
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Location: ...is insane. --JMS
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

You're right, Dimesdan, and I apologize. Sometimes it seems like too many people enjoy posting criticism more than helpful encouragement. And Triple-F's comment that posting about the poll here on TrekBBS hurt the Babylon 5 results rather then helped them rubbed me the wrong way.

Still hoping to hear from folks who might be attending the Space City Con in a (yikes!) week and a half.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it!

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2013, 07:14 PM   #189
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

^I'm pretty sure everything Triple-F posts rubs you the wrong way.

But then it's always been easier to criticise than to take a risk and actually do something constructive. A critic after all, risks nothing and gains even less.

Oh and Merry Pagan Winter Solstice Feast to all!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2013, 07:16 PM   #190
Neroon
Mod of balance
 
Neroon's Avatar
 
Location: On my ship the Rocinante
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Jan wrote: View Post
You're right, Dimesdan, and I apologize. Sometimes it seems like too many people enjoy posting criticism more than helpful encouragement. And Triple-F's comment that posting about the poll here on TrekBBS hurt the Babylon 5 results rather then helped them rubbed me the wrong way.

Still hoping to hear from folks who might be attending the Space City Con in a (yikes!) week and a half.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it!

Jan
Good on both of you for smoothing things out. Now off I go to celebrate the day with a Rebo & Zooty marathon ...
__________________
"The greatest tales are always over far too soon for those who truly appreciate them."
- Jef Murray
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2013, 07:23 PM   #191
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Jan wrote: View Post
You're right, Dimesdan, and I apologize. Sometimes it seems like too many people enjoy posting criticism more than helpful encouragement. And Triple-F's comment that posting about the poll here on TrekBBS hurt the Babylon 5 results rather then helped them rubbed me the wrong way.

Still hoping to hear from folks who might be attending the Space City Con in a (yikes!) week and a half.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it!

Jan
He has a point though. It's a Trek board, it's highly likely that most if not all but only a few people who post here would vote for a Trek series in a poll like the one you asked people to vote for Babylon Five.

I like Babylon Five, it's good yes, it has some very good episodes, especially the Messages from Earth, Point of No Return and Severed Dream three-parter, but I come onto a Trek board, not a B5 board and the four spin off Trek incarnations beat out Babylon Five for my affections.
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2013, 11:44 PM   #192
Jan
Commodore
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Location: ...is insane. --JMS
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Reverend wrote: View Post
^I'm pretty sure everything Triple-F posts rubs you the wrong way.
We've actually had some pretty decent conversations from time to time. It would be easier for me if it were everything.

[QUOTE=Dimesdan;9050986He has a point though. It's a Trek board, it's highly likely that most if not all but only a few people who post here would vote for a Trek series in a poll like the one you asked people to vote for Babylon Five. [/quote]

I figured that those who don't care for B5 at all would skip a thread so obviously dedicated to it. But really 'hurt' it in the poll? I doubt it. I never expected B5 to end up as #1. The point is to keep B5 in the public mind. The only one on that list I'd really like off the first spot is Firefly - not that I don't love it, I do. I just don't think it was around long enough to prove long-term worth.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 03:27 AM   #193
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

Firefly is an odd case in that it was clearly a ground breaking show right from the off and was never afforded the opportunity to be crap. It never got to jump the shark in season 3 when they killed off Simon, and River started communicating only in iambic pentameter Chinese pop-culture references.

Just like in horror where there's nothing you can show or describe that is more horrific or terrifying than what a viewer/reader concocts in their own brain, likewise there's nothing more awesome or deeply lamented in the mind of a fan as a show that never was.

So yeah, I wouldn't expect that to shift any time soon.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 04:19 PM   #194
shivkala
Rear Admiral
 
shivkala's Avatar
 
Location: Patrolling Sector 2814
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

I just don't get the mentality of people. I liked Firefly, but to me, it was never this shining beacon (see what I did there?) of sci-fi that is superior to other shows. But, even then, when "save Firefly" type posts appear, I don't pop into them to state my opinion as to why I don't think anyone should be expending energy to save it.

I wonder, too, how many people here actually come to these boards to discuss Star Trek and maybe one or two other things. Personally, the only time I really venture into the Star Trek specific boards is when I'm doing the caption contests or when a thread on the front page looks interesting.

Yes, Trek is in the name of the board, but that doesn't necessarily mean those who come into a thread like this one and see the link will automatically vote for a Trek series over Babylon 5. I don't remember seeing in the sign-up for this board that I had to love Trek over everything else.
__________________
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2013, 11:29 PM   #195
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDonner&Blitzen's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

It shouldn't be a competition. I love a lot of different things equally. Variety is the spice of life.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDonner&Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
#freebabylon5, babylon 5

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.