Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 29 2013, 10:34 PM   #151
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: #FreeBabylon5 Campaign

I'm still stuck on ADSL so upto 8Mb, at I can attain close to that speed on speed tests at 02:00. Usually it drops to 1-2Mb. Fortunatly my exchange is planned for upgrade to FTTC/P sometime next year as part of BDUK.

But another issue these days gone are the days where people only used to have one internet enabled computer. Many homes have 2+ computers, smart phones, tablets, ismart TV's, game consoles etc...
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 01:13 AM   #152
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
^I can certainly attest to that. The place I'll be (probably) moving to in the new year has benchmarks around 1MB/s. Where I am now has fiber-optics so I can easily hit 10MB/s so naturally I'm not looking forward to the downgrade. It's not as if it's the back of beyond either. Only a few miles (like 3 or 4) outside of a city. I also know from my old job that there are areas of the UK that are still using the old copper wires laid in the 1940's and signal quality so bad it's not even funny.

The reason TV became so ubiquitous was that the only infrastructure required on the consumer's end was mains electricity. Now granted there are probably still some isolated spots even in Europe & North America that still aren't on the grid, but it's safe to say that by the 50's, coverage was more or less 90% and up.

The same cannot be said for broadband, so yeah, I think it'll be a good decade before streaming becomes totally dominant. That is unless they find a way to overcome the latency issues inherent with satellite internet access.

Neroon wrote: View Post
You've provided some beautiful graphics so far, and I bet you will do so again and soon
So far it's all been cut and paste from work I did for the wiki. I think I've exhausted the logos side of things and I'm hesitant to use screen grabs too much. I'm sure it'd be fine really, but I don't want the page getting in trouble over a copyright violation or unauthorized use of an actor's image.

Seriously, I'm open to suggestions!
I think it would be kinda neat to take the Ulkesh and Naranek Final battle out of their Encounter suits, and in some way brand Ulkesh as a network suit out to destroy the galaxy/The Show and Naranek as a B5 Fan trying to save it (Or something along that theme)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 03:24 AM   #153
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Yeah, I've intentionally steered away from that kind of antagonistic tone. I don't think it'd be a good idea to colour the campaign with what amounts to name calling, especially when we're trying to convince WB that B5 is a viable IP and that we're not just a bunch of gobshites with keyboards and a hashtag.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 03:29 AM   #154
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

^Yeah, I've intentionally steered away from that kind of antagonistic tone. I don't think it'd be a good idea to colour the campaign with what amounts to name calling, especially when we're trying to convince WB that B5 is a viable IP and that we're not just a bunch of gobshites with keyboards and a hashtag.
Yea, that's true (though it would be fun if it could be done subtly enough )

Old November 30 2013, 01:42 PM   #155
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^The Peanuts metaphor is about as far as I plan to go.
Old November 30 2013, 05:50 PM   #156
Jan
Commodore

If anybody can think of a design to help motivate folks to write letters, that's my request! Something along the lines of the old Uncle Sam "I want YOU to...." posters? Any ideas?

Just got the banner we'll be displaying at the Space City Con in January. Many thanks to the Reverend once again, it's gorgeous!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...r&notif_t=like

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2013, 06:16 PM   #157
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Do You have any Morden "What do you Want" Memes?

Old November 30 2013, 07:51 PM   #158
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
If anybody can think of a design to help motivate folks to write letters, that's my request! Something along the lines of the old Uncle Sam "I want YOU to...." posters? Any ideas?
I had toyed with a similar idea, but I had trouble figuring out who to use as Lord Kitchener. I've already ruled out using actor's images for obvious reasons, so that rules out most of the obvious candidates. I thought maybe doing two versions; one Shadow one Vorlon, but I'm having trouble working in the Vorlon question and have it make sense. "What do you want?" is a no brainer. Maybe have both of them with the poster split down the middle?

Just got the banner we'll be displaying at the Space City Con in January. Many thanks to the Reverend once again, it's gorgeous!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...r&notif_t=like

Jan
Did it turn out OK? I just realised that my monitor is dying so my brightness and contrast settings are way off and what I'm doing may end up looking brighter than I'd intended.
Old November 30 2013, 08:40 PM   #159
Jan
Commodore

Did it turn out OK? I just realised that my monitor is dying so my brightness and contrast settings are way off and what I'm doing may end up looking brighter than I'd intended.
It's *perfect*! Not too light, not too dark. I think it's going to help us catch a LOT of eyes in Galveston. Many thanks!

Jan
Old December 1 2013, 02:43 AM   #160
Reverend
Rear Admiral

OK, let's give this a try...

Just throwing it all at the wall and see what sticks!

Last edited by Reverend; December 1 2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old December 1 2013, 04:30 PM   #161
Jan
Commodore

Love these! Keeping your monitor issue in mind, the Shadow might be a little dark or need more contrast to show best. I'm thinking that if these were side-by side instead of lengthwise, they'd make good FB covers. Or each half, reduced would make popular avatars, too.

Jan
Old December 9 2013, 04:23 PM   #162
Jan
Commodore

All three of the latest ‪#‎FreeBabylon5‬ tee-shirts are now available! Order them to pick up at Space City Con *or* have them shipped!
http://www.freebabylon5tees.org/

Jan
Old December 10 2013, 09:41 AM   #163
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I really enjoyed Babylon 5, but I have to admit that I don't care if it's on TV or not and I'm not interested in any extension of the franchise.
Old December 10 2013, 02:42 PM   #164
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed Babylon 5, but I have to admit that I don't care if it's on TV or not and I'm not interested in any extension of the franchise.
I think Babylon 5 has had a myriad of problems

1. JMS likes the long form. Today's audience wants instant gratification, and JMS likes to build slowly. It's like the folks who are against the JJ Abrams Trek Movies. They're non-stop action with a story and characterization woven into it. If JMS could do a Pilot and first season like this, he'd get the time to flesh out his groundwork. The audience at large isn't willing to stick around for a Babylon 5 S1.

2. Network interference really damaged Crusade. There was another gem building there, but, it didn't last long enough to come to fruition and the network interference made a mess of continuity and episode order.

3. Budget caused the problems for TLT and LoTR

I would love to see another Babylon 5 Series, and I think if the above problems could be overcome, it could be quite popular. So, maybe what a new Series needs is to be on a premium Cable Channel so it has the time to grow, or maybe he needs to work with a JJ Abrams type to bring in the flash and action while he grows the S1 groundwork

Old December 10 2013, 03:21 PM   #165
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I agree. I was a fan while it was on. I bought the DVDs and they're now cheap for the curious to buy or rent. I'd like to know how the Crusade arc might have developed over 5 years, but if I never find out, it's no big deal.