TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 4 2013, 10:32 AM   #16
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Series 8 for Autumn 2014

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
It'd be a miracle if it were an American show, sure. But you cannot compare the American paradigm of television programming to how British broadcasters do things.
Well, for one, you just did. And I'm not aware of any other television show, whether it's British or American, that has come back from a 19-year long hiatus and has enjoyed an 8-year long run after that. As far as I know, it's unprecedented.
Old September 4 2013, 11:43 AM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Star Trek?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 11:45 AM   #18
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Star Trek?
Not quite the same beast, if we're treating NuWho as a direct continuation of Classic Who, as the BBC is wont to do these days.
Old September 4 2013, 11:47 AM   #19
Starkers
Admiral

I thought that, though it did come back in a different format, technically a new show, it was set in the same universe and did have continuity with TOS and I think it's the closest thing you'll get to Who.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 12:15 PM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Can BBC America "chose" not to air Doctor Who if the US ratings start to suck?
Yes. BBC America pays for the programming they air, which is why they broadcast a mixture of BBC and ITV programming, along with American shows like Star Trek: The Next Generation and BSG, and things like Copper and Orphan Black which they produced in-house. It's possible that BBC America's decision makers could decide not to spend their programming budget money on Doctor Who. It's not likely because the people in charge there really do like the program and have invested in it, but it's possible.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2013, 10:23 PM   #21
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

What exactly has been the hold up in recent years anyway? Has the production team just struggled to write enough scripts to finish the seasons in a timely manner?

Perhaps one possible solution would be, in addition to the regular Peter Capaldi season, they supplement that in the off season with a different production team working on stand-alone previous Doctor specials featuring McGann, Tennant, Smith, and even Eccleston if they can manage it.

What about spin-offs? It seems like they keep hinting that they want to do a Vastra/Jenny/Strax spin-off. Or maybe do a new season of Torchwood that doesn't suck?
Old September 4 2013, 11:48 PM   #22
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I'm kinda over the split season thing. It was fine for Season 6, when we only had a two month wait before the next set of episodes, but the huge gap in Season 7 kind of put me off the whole idea.

If we have to wait a whole year for those 10-13 episodes, so be it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 12:03 AM   #23
StCoop
Commodore

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
What exactly has been the hold up in recent years anyway? Has the production team just struggled to write enough scripts to finish the seasons in a timely manner?
Moffat has, by his own admisson, been geting slower at writing and later at delivering scripts but for Series 7 it ended up being split because Matt Smith wouldn't commit to a fourth full series and they wanted him for the 50th Anniversary.

He should have been told that no actor is bigger than the show and this year should have been Capaldi's first full series.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 12:23 AM   #24
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

StCoop wrote: View Post
Moffat has, by his own admisson, been geting slower at writing and later at delivering scripts but for Series 7 it ended up being split because Matt Smith wouldn't commit to a fourth full series and they wanted him for the 50th Anniversary.

He should have been told that no actor is bigger than the show and this year should have been Capaldi's first full series.
At minimum, they should have tried to get Smith to commit to more specials in the interim, just like Tennant did.
Old September 5 2013, 03:07 AM   #25
The Wormhole
Admiral

At minimum, they should have tried to get Smith to commit to more specials in the interim, just like Tennant did.
It doesn't actually make that much of a difference. Tennant's episode count is only three more than Smith's will be.
Old September 5 2013, 04:58 AM   #26
Candlelight
Admiral

Snick27 wrote: View Post
Plus with the rumored 2015 shut down of the show I really don't have much faith to be honest.
Wait, what?
Old September 5 2013, 08:17 AM   #27
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

It doesn't actually make that much of a difference. Tennant's episode count is only three more than Smith's will be.
Yeah, but Tennant did do two animated episodes, technically speaking, so its well over 51 episodes.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 01:05 PM   #28
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And his hand was in the first season of Torchwood.

That counts.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 01:08 PM   #29
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Really, though, it doesn't.

Unless that was REALLY Tennant's chopped hand, that is.

"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 01:32 PM   #30
Starkers
Admiral

Because he loves Who that much!
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote