Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old September 5 2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Kirk the Jerk
Rear Admiral

Plot hole in Into Darkness? Was Admiral Marcus... (Minor spoilers)

Was Admiral Marcus in the room when Khan started firing on Starfleet command? I honestly cannot remember. I remember his conversation with Kirk after Admiral Pike had been killed, but my question is, if he was in the room..

How did Khan expect to get his 'crew' back if he had accidentally on purpose killed Admiral Marcus? There'd have been no real way of getting them back as he was counting on a ship to come and arrest him or try to kill him on sight with the torpedoes. Which led to the Enterprise being stranded in Klingon space (something Marcus rigged), which if the Enterprise had been destroyed by Klingons his crew would have died anyway. It was a huge risk IMO for someone with supreme intelligence.
Kirk the Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 02:52 PM   #2
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Plot hole in Into Darkness? Was Admiral Marcus... (Minor spoilers)

Khan thought his crew was already dead when he attacked HQ, that's why he did it ("I had every reason to suspect Marcus had killed every single one of the people I hold most dear. So I responded in kind.") It was only when he heard Sulu's threat about the long range torpedoes locked on his position that he realized they were still alive and had been moved onto the Enterprise.

Later, when he thinks Spock blew his crew to bits in he Vengeance cargo bay, he crashes the ship into San Francisco.
Old September 5 2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Kirk the Jerk wrote: View Post
Was Admiral Marcus in the room when Khan started firing on Starfleet command? I honestly cannot remember. I remember his conversation with Kirk after Admiral Pike had been killed, but my question is, if he was in the room..
Marcus was indeed in the room during the attack. There's a clear shot of Marcus alone running behind a pillar to dodge the fire (implying that he really was the main target), and then hightailed it out of there.

My question is: with guns that big and with Khan's abilities, how did he miss Marcus? "I laugh at the superior intellect."
Old September 5 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I don't think he was trying to kill Marcus, he was hurting what's important to him.
Old September 5 2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Gojira
Commodore

I agree. People bent on destruction are not rational and Khan was trying to kill everyone he could, I do not think he was after one person.
Old September 5 2013, 08:37 PM   #6
WarpFactorZ
Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I don't think he was trying to kill Marcus, he was hurting what's important to him.
That really doesn't make sense, though. Marcus' key staff may be strategically important, but they aren't "family." He might shed a small tear... but knowing what we know about him, he'd probably just take the golden opportunity handpick a few Captains or Commodres as his new "cabinet" who are amenable to his cause of war. In fact, Khan did him a favour by knocking off the morally-solid people like Pike.

Furthermore, by defecting to Qo'nos space he further did Marcus a great service by implicating the Klingons in an outright attack on Starfleet. I fail to see how any of this hurt Marcus.
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 10:12 PM   #7
Kirk the Jerk
Rear Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
I agree. People bent on destruction are not rational and Khan was trying to kill everyone he could, I do not think he was after one person.
He pretty much saved Kirk n co from the Klingons though, why not just kill everyone and attack the Enterprise himself with one of their D4 Attack Cruisers/or Birds of Prey. He did already know that they had the Torpedoes when Sulu threatened him as mentioned before, just not how many.

Last edited by Kirk the Jerk; September 5 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Kirk the Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2013, 10:41 PM   #8
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Kirk the Jerk wrote: View Post
He pretty much saved Kirk n co from the Klingons though, why not just kill everyone and attack the Enterprise himself with one of their D4 Attack Cruisers/or Birds of Prey. He did already know that they had the Torpedoes when Sulu threatened him as mentioned before, just not how many.
Nor was he 100% certain the augments were in them until Kirk confirmed it. He couldn't kill Kirk or Marcus until he was absolutely positive he would be able to save his people. He didn't act on emotion or assumption like, say, his counterpart.
Old September 8 2013, 10:29 PM   #9
publiusr
Commodore

Marcus and Khan are actually quite alike in many ways, in thinking Pine's Kirk naive
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote