USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old September 8 2013, 10:48 PM   #106
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: What Happens After Death

Those who say there's nothing after death, aren't you a little bit puzzled by what happens to your perception of nothing? You suddenly cease to exist, how's that going to be? It's paradoxical. How can you experience non-existence? Or how can you not experience existence?

I think that paradox is the basis for any belief in a life after death.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 10:53 PM   #107
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Those who say there's nothing after death, aren't you a little bit puzzled by what happens to your perception of nothing? You suddenly cease to exist, how's that going to be? It's paradoxical. How can you experience non-existence? Or how can you not experience existence?

If all brain function ceases, all life processes stop permanently, then it is very likely that there is no more "you." You can't perceive if you can't think.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 10:53 PM   #108
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

How is it paradoxical? I don't expect to be experiencing anything. Is it paradoxical that you experienced nothing before your birth?

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 10:54 PM   #109
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

You can't experience non-existance. That's the point.
Anyone who says it's inconceivable to not experience anything anymore should try to remember the time before he was born/conceived.
Pretty much the same thing.
Was it so horrible to not exist yet? How do the people cope with that?
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 11:04 PM   #110
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

If the definition of dying is being brain dead, then yes, all thoughts cease to exist.

So what makes us human? Is it our brain that makes us who we are? If all our memories, skills, and experiences were wiped out, would we stop being ourselves?

Space. Time. Life itself. The secrets of the cosmos lie ... through the wormhole.
Old September 8 2013, 11:07 PM   #111
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
If the definition of dying is being brain dead, then yes, all thoughts cease to exist.

So what makes us human? Is it our brain that makes us who we are? If all our memories, skills, and experiences were wiped out, would we stop being ourselves?
Yes.
Brony Kingdom
Old September 8 2013, 11:20 PM   #112
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Space. Time. Life itself. The secrets of the cosmos lie ... through the wormhole.
Definitely. The evidence for this is overwhelming. The brain physically changes as a result of new experiences, thoughts, and learning in ways that we can observe and measure. But the even more overwhelming evidence is that damage to the brain can vastly change a person's memories, behaviors, and personality. While the exact nature of consciousness is not yet understood, all the evidence leads to one conclusion: The mind and the soul are the brain.

And isn't that a wonderful, beautiful thing? A few pounds of mushy, grey and white and pink that is the most complex organ we know of, with more neurons than there are stars in the galaxy; that is able, through chemistry and electricity, to observe, learn, communicate, create, and love. Brains are cool.

View my art!
Old September 8 2013, 11:23 PM   #113
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Also: sexy.
Brony Kingdom
Old September 8 2013, 11:24 PM   #114
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Only the clever ones.

View my art!
Old September 8 2013, 11:46 PM   #115
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post

Anyone who says it's inconceivable to not experience anything anymore should try to remember the time before he was born/conceived.
But that's you right now experiencing not being able to remember something. You compare your current state with your past state. Constantly. And are aware of yourself.

Death is not comparable to that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2013, 11:50 PM   #116
iguana_tonante
Admiral

There is no paradox and no contradiction because there is no "you".
Old September 8 2013, 11:55 PM   #117
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

It's not a case of not being able to remember something...nothing happened. Nothing happened to me before I existed. Nothing will happen when I'm done existing. There is nothing to remember and there will be nothing to experience. I don't see how this is difficult to comprehend. Have you ever been anesthetized for surgery? Under complete anesthesia the brain is shut off. The experience isn't like sleeping. There is no sense of passage of time and no dreaming. You are lying on the table counting backwards, "10, 9, 8," and then you wake up in the recovery room and that's that. I figure being dead will be that, nothing. Except I won't wake up.

View my art!
Old September 9 2013, 01:14 AM   #118
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post

But that's you right now experiencing not being able to remember something. You compare your current state with your past state. Constantly. And are aware of yourself.

Death is not comparable to that.
If neurons aren't firing, you're not remembering, you're not experiencing, you're not even conscious, because the matter that holds all of this information is defunct. It has shut down, it has been rendered moot.There is nothing to process. There is nothing at all. Dead.
Brony Kingdom
Old September 9 2013, 02:31 AM   #119
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post

Definitely. The evidence for this is overwhelming. The brain physically changes as a result of new experiences, thoughts, and learning in ways that we can observe and measure. But the even more overwhelming evidence is that damage to the brain can vastly change a person's memories, behaviors, and personality. While the exact nature of consciousness is not yet understood, all the evidence leads to one conclusion: The mind and the soul are the brain.

And isn't that a wonderful, beautiful thing? A few pounds of mushy, grey and white and pink that is the most complex organ we know of, with more neurons than there are stars in the galaxy; that is able, through chemistry and electricity, to observe, learn, communicate, create, and love. Brains are cool.
Aye, it's a fascinating organ, the brain. I saw a recent episode of Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, asking if the brain could be hacked, the way a computer can be hacked. The simple answer by scientists was yes. So in the future it's possible for our innermost thoughts to be explored (and perhaps manipulated?). I'll have to watch it again sometime.
Old September 9 2013, 02:38 AM   #120
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Yeah, there is a lot of cool research in that area. early stages of the technology, but this is fucking cool stuf:

Hmmm...don't know why the video is not showing up, maybe it will later. If it doesn't, here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FsH7...ature=youtu.be

View my art!