RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,235
Posts: 5,347,954
Members: 24,609
Currently online: 623
Newest member: chipper803

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 27 2014, 06:19 PM   #826
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral
 
Mutenroshi's Avatar
 
Location: Mutenroshi
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

I liked the ending the way it was.
__________________
Let There Be Rock!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 07:36 PM   #827
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
^ Why should they apologize? If everyone in Hollywood apologized just because fans didn't like something they wouldn't get much done.
They shouldn't apologize for anything. For starters, they did their job. Just because a couple of assholes on the internet didn't like it, doesn't mean it was terrible nor does it mean they have anything to apologize for.

Beyond which is the more amazing and egregious suggestion that because a bunch of people didn't like it, somehow that should also mean that the onus is on the showrunners to apologize for their own creation, as if they owe us anything. They don't.

This isn't Batman & Robin, this isn't These Are The Voyages... This was a sitcom ending. The fact that so many people ignored/missed the point of the show is irrelevant at this point. Now it's just the same idiotic fan entitlement that plagues Star Trek fandom. No thanks, get over yourselves, move on.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 07:48 PM   #828
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
For starters, they did their job. Just because a couple of assholes on the internet didn't like it
get over yourselves, move on.
Christ on a bicycle, get over yourself. You liked the finale, we get it. I myself liked parts of it. But that in no way makes people who disliked the episode "assholes," particularly considering the season spent 23 episodes building to a particular event, and then fifteen minutes into the finale, the writers said "lol just kidding."

I really don't get why you seem to feel the need to white knight Bays and Thomas, as though criticism of "Last Forever" means someone is drop-kicking you in the junk or something.

Plenty of people have written television episodes, television finales and movies thinking that their idea was the right thing to do ... but having the best intentions doesn't mean squat. Just because they were doing what they wanted to do doesn't mean they're immune from criticism, and it doesn't mean that those who are criticizing them are assholes -- particularly given that one of the lead actors appears to be expressing some level of dissatisfaction with the finale as aired. Does that make Hannigan an asshole, too?
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 10:14 PM   #829
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Timby wrote: View Post
Does that make Hannigan an asshole, too?
Didn't express her opinion on the internet, so in 005's world, probably no.

I am btw deeply offended by being called an asshole for not liking the finale. I am in therapy now to rethink my life.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 10:43 PM   #830
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Timby wrote: View Post
Just because they were doing what they wanted to do doesn't mean they're immune from criticism, and it doesn't mean that those who are criticizing them are assholes
Who's suggesting they should be immune from criticism? I liked the finale. Others did as well. Clearly the viewing majority hated it, which is just fine and dandy. I take issue with the idea however that because that viewing majority did not like it, the implication must therefore then be that the writers should not only change the ending but also apologize?

Fuck that.

Fan entitlement is a scourge. It robs the artists creating the content we consume and warps it. We just went through this with Star Trek Into Darkness and it was ridiculous then as it is ridiculous now.

Just because social media allows us to interact with these writers, directors, and showrunners in ways we couldn't do ten years ago, it doesn't mean that audiences know any better what to do. My mom's a nurse. I grew up around doctors and hospitals. I know a little bit about medicine. Does that mean I should waltz into an o.r. and proclaim I know how to perform a triple bypass surgery better than the surgeon on call? Of course not. That would be stupid. In a way, the same thing applies here.

Again, I'm not saying people can't hate the finale if they didn't like it. I'm not saying that people can't call it bad. All I'm saying is that because you or anyone else in this thread thought it was terrible, it doesn't mean that it is for everyone else and it certainly doesn't entitle a single one of the people who disliked or hated the finale to demand an apology from the writers.

However, since I clearly am in the minority on this matter, I will refrain from commenting any further and let you all get back to the discussion.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 10:54 PM   #831
urbandefault
Captain
 
urbandefault's Avatar
 
Location: Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie!
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

At the end of the day, it's just a sitcom. It ran for 9 seasons, way more than most. Now it's over, and the writers wrapped up the storylines the way they wanted (or were allowed to). Again, that's a lot more than most shows get.

The fact that this one has already been in reruns means that the furor will likely never die. Once more, that's a lot more than a lot of shows get.

There are a lot of shows that I really liked that ran for multiple years, but have never been given a second chance in syndication. Oh, well. Too bad for me.

As I said before, at the end of the day it was just a sitcom. Now it's over.
__________________
"Hello pants." - Gary Busey
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 11:07 PM   #832
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Just because they were doing what they wanted to do doesn't mean they're immune from criticism, and it doesn't mean that those who are criticizing them are assholes
Who's suggesting they should be immune from criticism? I liked the finale. Others did as well. Clearly the viewing majority hated it, which is just fine and dandy. I take issue with the idea however that because that viewing majority did not like it, the implication must therefore then be that the writers should not only change the ending but also apologize?

Fuck that.
No one is arguing for that (at the very least, I am not). I don't want Bays and Thomas to "apologize," I just think that "Last Forever," as edited and aired, was dogshit. (Just the same as seasons 7 and 8 of the series were terrible.)

But you have been tilting at every single windmill since "Last Forever" aired, saying that it was "the story they wanted to tell" or whatever, and getting incredibly defensive and / or aggressive whenever someone doesn't like it (I believe your response to me saying that despite the best intention of the writers, I didn't like the finale, was "it doesn't make it bad.") You literally said "a few assholes on the Internet" didn't like it.

Step back and take a breath.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 01:41 AM   #833
Dennis
The Man
 
Dennis's Avatar
 
Location: Leading a charmed life
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

urbandefault wrote: View Post
At the end of the day, it's just a sitcom. It ran for 9 seasons, way more than most. Now it's over, and the writers wrapped up the storylines the way they wanted (or were allowed to). Again, that's a lot more than most shows get.

The fact that this one has already been in reruns means that the furor will likely never die. Once more, that's a lot more than a lot of shows get.

There are a lot of shows that I really liked that ran for multiple years, but have never been given a second chance in syndication. Oh, well. Too bad for me.

As I said before, at the end of the day it was just a sitcom. Now it's over.
This is true.

I think the list of finales that fans have loved is a lot shorter than the list that folks have ranted over. Breaking Bad, definitely in the positive category. Seinfeld, Enterprise, nuBSG, The Sopranos etc in the negative - and interestingly enough, the immediate spate of complaints about their finales were pretty much forgotten and didn't harm the long-term success or reputations of those that were real successes in first-run to begin with.
__________________
Yes, I'm an American. Yes, we're crazy. Tell a friend.

Twenty consecutive quarters of profitability for Ford.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 06:56 AM   #834
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Dennis wrote: View Post

I think the list of finales that fans have loved is a lot shorter than the list that folks have ranted over. Breaking Bad, definitely in the positive category. Seinfeld, Enterprise, nuBSG, The Sopranos etc in the negative
Heck, the only one of those finales I don't adore is "These Are the Voyages."
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 04:08 PM   #835
Dorian Thompson
Admiral
 
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Timby, nobody adores "These Are The Voyages." That's a universal given.

I'm also not "demanding an apology" from the HIMYM producers. I simply defend my right to proclaim that the finale sucked balls without being called an asshole. Thank you for coming to the defense of the wicked.

If it had just had 15 extra minutes....well, it wouldn't have been good because it threw away Barney and Robin, but it could have avoided the nonexistant segeway between Ted's beautiful speech about thankfully having had the courage to approach Tracy that night no matter that she died and the daughter's god awful "Oh My Ga-wd, you totally have the hots for Aunt Robin" line that literally put the whipped cream on the shit sandwich.

Talk about emotional whiplash. What was it? 9 seconds? It was like, "Psych! It wasn't really a beautiful Ted/Tracy life. It's all about Robin, you idiots. Psych psych psych! Aren't we clever?" Perhaps it wasn't meant to do that but that's what it did. Who edited this episode??? The audience didn't see the grieving. The audience needed a minute or two to collect itself. Not the valley girl redux. It would have helped a great deal and then some.
__________________
http://www.noahswish.com

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 04:29 PM   #836
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

I disagree with the message. You should look forward, not backward. For 9 seasons, Ted was looking backward, always trying to catch Robin when she wasn't the right one. Robin has always been the reason for his break ups, with Stella, Victora, etc... He then FINALLY moved on, and found his soulmate. And that soulmate even invited Robin to the wedding, because both knew he FINALLY moved on (Tracy knew all his stories, so he knew about him and Robin).

But then, in two minutes screentime, Tracy dies, and Ted is catapulted back to trying to catch Robin again. In this case, having the story go "full circle" was extremely bad.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2014, 09:46 PM   #837
MNM
Captain
 
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Never cared about the Mother, did like Ted and Robin, so I was happy.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 12:09 AM   #838
tighr
Commodore
 
tighr's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
The fact that so many people ignored/missed the point of the show is irrelevant at this point. Now it's just the same idiotic fan entitlement that plagues Star Trek fandom. No thanks, get over yourselves, move on.
Who missed the point of the show? I think nearly everyone in this thread is 100% on board with the fact that the purpose of the show, as designed by the creators, is the "Ted + Robin show". Fans going back all the way to season 5/6 still believed there was a chance that Ted and Robin were going to end up together. Then the writer's went on a 3+ season absolute character assassination on Robin, which proved to us that Ted and Robin would never work, CULMINATING in that stupid "float away like a balloon" montage. And then what, six episodes later, Ted finally actually does end up with Robin?

I don't think people are upset that Ted ended up with Robin. I think people are upset in the manner in which the creators chose to tell their story. Has nothing to do with sitcom and everything to do with bad storytelling. Cartoons like Futurama are more internally consistent with their character relationships.
__________________
~Tighr™: Not helping the situation since 1983
tighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 01:50 AM   #839
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

tighr wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
The fact that so many people ignored/missed the point of the show is irrelevant at this point. Now it's just the same idiotic fan entitlement that plagues Star Trek fandom. No thanks, get over yourselves, move on.
Who missed the point of the show? I think nearly everyone in this thread is 100% on board with the fact that the purpose of the show, as designed by the creators, is the "Ted + Robin show". Fans going back all the way to season 5/6 still believed there was a chance that Ted and Robin were going to end up together. Then the writer's went on a 3+ season absolute character assassination on Robin, which proved to us that Ted and Robin would never work, CULMINATING in that stupid "float away like a balloon" montage. And then what, six episodes later, Ted finally actually does end up with Robin?

I don't think people are upset that Ted ended up with Robin. I think people are upset in the manner in which the creators chose to tell their story. Has nothing to do with sitcom and everything to do with bad storytelling. Cartoons like Futurama are more internally consistent with their character relationships.
This and this again.

I don't have an opinion about what their plan was, I do have one about how they executed it. And apparently, that makes me an asshole.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2014, 06:06 AM   #840
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

I can think of only three series finales that are "universally" loved : BB, Newhart and The Fugitive. And maybe STTNG
__________________
"All charges are merely accusations, and any/all defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law."
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
how i met your mother

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.