RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,399
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 562
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 26 2014, 03:12 AM   #811
urbandefault
Captain

Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

I don't get the need for the "audience to grieve." The mother was never really the focus of the show. It was all about the Big Five. The mother was only in a few episodes at the end of the series. There wasn't a lot time for "the audience" to develop an emotional attachment, at least not enough to warrant the kind of whining I'm seeing online.

The Mother served her purpose. She was there at the time Ted was ready to move past Robin, and she gave him two kids before she died. What else do we need to know?

The story was called How I Met Your Mother, but the real story was Ted and Robin. It always was.
Old April 26 2014, 05:36 AM   #812
Chilli
Commodore

urbandefault wrote: View Post
The story was called How I Met Your Mother, but the real story was Ted and Robin. It always was.
I don't think that's really being disputed by anyone. The question is, though, *what* the story they were telling was - if they noticed it or not.

Concretely speaking, as the show wore on, it was that Ted and Robin as a couple simply don't work. On a more abstract level, it was that you cannot make a relationship work by pretending that your partner is someone they're not, and that you *don't have to*. You don't have to settle with someone that doesn't truly get you when there are people out there that might actually get you.

... another factor to what a shit sandwich the finale felt was: Yeah, the mother was originally a McGuffin. As as been said earlier in the thread, this ending would've probably even worked back when she still was (i.e., back when they shot the scenes with the kids). This last season, though, the mother was the only character on the show that was in any way engaging. Robin in particular had been turned in an utterly unlikable caricature of the character she once was, IMO. SRSLY, I can't even put into words how much the running "joke" that was her behaviour towards Patrice annoyed me.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 06:12 AM   #813
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Thank you! I thought I was being sacreligious thinking that Robin just wasn't that likable a character. She and Ted had developed as characters past the point where the idea of them as a OTP was appealing. A few seasons ago this ending might have worked. Not anymore. Not after the characters' development presented by the writers and yes, the mother was a sweetheart. It isn't whining to say that it fucking sucked that she was presented as a second choice/after thought by the writers. The daughter's line really, really bugged me. Oh, you really love Aunt Robin. What a masochist you must be, Ted. Idiot.

A few years ago I could have bought Ted and Robin ending up together. Not anymore. How very....unsatisfying.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 12:28 PM   #814
shivkala
Rear Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
I don't get the need for the "audience to grieve." The mother was never really the focus of the show. It was all about the Big Five. The mother was only in a few episodes at the end of the series. There wasn't a lot time for "the audience" to develop an emotional attachment, at least not enough to warrant the kind of whining I'm seeing online.

The Mother served her purpose. She was there at the time Ted was ready to move past Robin, and she gave him two kids before she died. What else do we need to know?

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Thank you! I thought I was being sacreligious thinking that Robin just wasn't that likable a character. She and Ted had developed as characters past the point where the idea of them as a OTP was appealing. A few seasons ago this ending might have worked. Not anymore. Not after the characters' development presented by the writers and yes, the mother was a sweetheart. It isn't whining to say that it fucking sucked that she was presented as a second choice/after thought by the writers. The daughter's line really, really bugged me. Oh, you really love Aunt Robin. What a masochist you must be, Ted. Idiot.

A few years ago I could have bought Ted and Robin ending up together. Not anymore. How very....unsatisfying.
The thing of it is, I agree with you both. I enjoyed the finale and never felt that Ted was pining for Robin the entire time he was with Tracy. If she had not died, I think Ted would have gone on loving her and never giving Robin another shot. Her death and his grieving process (unless you're someone who believes you should be beholden to your deceased spouse until your death, I'd think 6 years is more than reasonable) gave him a second (Third? Fourth? I lost count) chance with Robin.

But, yes, I was never sold on Robin and I think some of my feelings have transferred on to Cobie Smulders. Posts I see on the internet seem to make her out to be an "ultimate woman," and I have never seen it. While it's nice seeing her in Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Solider, it seems she plays both characters the same way.

I thought Robin and Barney made a good pair as they both seemed to compliment each other. Then again, the show had a whole episode dedicated to how horrible the two of them were for each other and we're still upset that they divorced.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 12:57 PM   #815
Mr Light
Admiral

<< While it's nice seeing her in Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Solider, it seems she plays both characters the same way. >>

It's the same character.

(joke)

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 09:07 PM   #816
Aldo
Admiral

She's not exactly a versatile actress. She's in Broken Lizard's: "Slammon Salmon" and plays pretty much the same character there too. It's actually a pretty funny comedy from the same guys that did Super Troopers. I recommend it.
Old April 27 2014, 02:06 AM   #817
EnderAKH
Captain

Alyson Hannigan says funeral scene was cut from the finale

Allons-y!
EnderAKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 02:21 AM   #818
Mr Light
Admiral

It's nice to hear someone acknowledging how disappointed and angry most fans were over the finale... the creators and NPH seemed pretty unapologetic about it.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 04:09 AM   #819
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

^ Why should they apologize? If everyone in Hollywood apologized just because fans didn't like something they wouldn't get much done.
Old April 27 2014, 04:43 AM   #820
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

No apology necessary. Just acknowledge that it's sort of kind of maybe slightly possible that it sucked and move on.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 11:37 AM   #821
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

They should have pulled an Orci and just said "Fuck you!" to those who didn't like it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 04:38 PM   #822
Agent Richard07
Admiral

They're releasing an alternate ending with the Complete Series set. I hope it's not something that would allow fans to pretend that what we actually got didn't happen. I was hoping that we'd get those missing 18 minutes but it looks like that won't be the case. From the sound of the Hannigan interview, that might have alleviated some of the anger over the finale rushing things too much.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 04:46 PM   #823
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I hope it's not something that would allow fans to pretend that what we actually got didn't happen.
Why that?

I hope, whatever it is, that it's a full episode edit, and not just a 5 minutes bonus feature.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 05:54 PM   #824
Dennis
The Man

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
^ Why should they apologize? If everyone in Hollywood apologized just because fans didn't like something they wouldn't get much done.
Yep.

Twenty consecutive quarters of profitability for Ford.
Dennis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 06:09 PM   #825
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

What are they supposed to say? Sorry half of you liked it and half of you didn't?