Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 25 2014, 11:45 AM   #796
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Again, just because they HAD a plan doesn't make it a good plan.
Again, just because you didn't like the finale, it doesn't necessarily mean it was terrible, either.
Erm, sure it does, because opinion is subjective.
I love a good double standard.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 12:13 PM   #797
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
Again, just because you didn't like the finale, it doesn't necessarily mean it was terrible, either.
Erm, sure it does, because opinion is subjective.
I love a good double standard.
That isn't a double standard.

They had a plan. --> fact.
It was a terrible plan. --> opinion.
It was a good plan. --> opinion.

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it was terrible. --> Pretty much nonsense, because "I didn't like it" follows the opinion that "it was terrible". If I didn't think it was terrible, I would like it.

Some people have the opinion: "They had a plan, so that makes it automatically good."
I disagree with that, because I didn't like their plan. And there we have two disagreeing opinions, and that is fine. Simple as that.

btw... what is this, argument 101? We're now argueing about argueing.

And even if it WERE a double standard, it would be entirely up to you if it's a good or bad double standard.

Last edited by JarodRussell; April 25 2014 at 12:23 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 12:23 PM   #798
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Not that I have any particular feelings one way or the other about HIMYM, but this comparison of the finale to a Steven Moffat finale had me laughing pretty hard.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 12:59 PM   #799
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm not entirely sure what that refers to? Does it mean the way things are set up like the Doctor dying and then cheated out of in the ending?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 02:45 PM   #800
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'm not entirely sure what that refers to? Does it mean the way things are set up like the Doctor dying and then cheated out of in the ending?
The writer was mocking Moffat's tendency to write endings that don't fit the preceding story, whether it's the previous forty minutes or forty episodes.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 03:40 PM   #801
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

I actually liked the content of the final, just didn't like that it was crammed into the final episode. If they would have spread it over the whole of the season, I think it would have better received.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 07:53 PM   #802
Scout101
Admiral

Yeah, a little too long in the wedding for how it ended up playing out. Then again, heard there's a ton of extra footage from the finale that wasn't aired, so when the DVD comes out, we'll see how much editing/pacing was a problem.

Maybe if there was a 90 minute finale instead of an hour, or spaced out over 2 weeks, it would have played better? Definitely felt rushed at the end, needed more time to breath around the death. And there WERE scenes in the middle cut, as some of the spoiler photos were from unused scenes in the middle. If there was less rush from death to Robin, maybe it would have felt differently.

Didn't need a season out of that montage, but maybe an hour would have been enough. Or maybe just 5 minutes between the death and Robin would have worked better. Dunno.

Either way, I was fine with the finale, as sad as it was. Show has always had some of that bittersweet vibe to it, and there'd been hints about this for a while. Would have worked better a year or two ago, as they stretched things a bit at the end, but still, I'm fine with it. Just needed to take a beat after the mother died in the montage...

I'd have rather had a whole season with them dating, I think, but not really the story they were trying to tell, so hard to take the complaint in that direction.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 08:33 PM   #803
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion on the matter. I was simply pointing out that just because one person hated the show it didn't mean that everyone did.

I appreciate the explanation about how opinions work but it's unnecessary. I'm well aware how they work.
Good. Now that we're all on the same page on opinions...

If the overwhelming public and critical opinion on something is that "it was bad", then it was factually bad. Opinions become fact when the entire point of something is to be liked.

It's ok to like bad things.
Old April 25 2014, 08:40 PM   #804
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

I liked it. I thought it was very good. If I overwhelm the thread with my critical opinion, does that make it factually good?

No?

Ah well ...
Old April 25 2014, 10:06 PM   #805
M
Vice Admiral

People here and elsewhere on the internet keep referring to hints that the mother would die in the finale. Apart from that one hint two or three episodes before the actual finale, when Ted and Tracy revisit the Farhampton Inn and talk about mothers missing their daughter's wedding, what exactly were all those hints I missed?
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 10:22 PM   #806
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

M wrote: View Post
People here and elsewhere on the internet keep referring to hints that the mother would die in the finale. Apart from that one hint two or three episodes before the actual finale, when Ted and Tracy revisit the Farhampton Inn and talk about mothers missing their daughter's wedding, what exactly were all those hints I missed?
The mother never speaks up during the entire time Ted is telling a story about sex, debauchery and failed relationships to the kids, for one. Whenever they did flashforwards, the mother was never there. In "The Time Travelers," future Ted said he would give anything to have some extra time with the mother. I'm sure there were others but those immediately come to mind.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2014, 11:20 PM   #807
Dennis
The Man

NM
Old April 26 2014, 12:55 AM   #808
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

letting the mother die like it's no big deal with no time for the audience to grief and
QFT. Also, may I add for emphasis that it was Ted's daughter's chirpy line, "Gosh, Dad, you tell a story about mom and she's barely in it....You're totally in love with aunt Robin," which sealed the shit sandwich deal for me.

Oh My Ga-awd. Mom's dead but she was like totally your second choice and that's like totally okay with us. You like....totally love aunt Robin better. That's what it felt like hearing that line. What was the point of the narrative if that was the end game all along? Yeah, mom died. Sad but...not that hard to overcome. We all love Aunt Robin.

Barf.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2014, 02:27 AM   #809
tighr
Commodore

I'm in the camp that I was disappointed by the finale, but at least it is a reasonable end to the story. It didn't come out of left field (or at least, not too far, since many predicted it) but I think that it was the presentation that disappointed me. The wedding ends up being unimportant to the overall story, so choosing to spend a whole season on it was a bad choice. Meanwhile, the time he does spend with Tracy is important, so it sucks that they don't spend nearly enough time on that. 30 minutes or 60 minutes more of finale won't fix that error.
Old April 26 2014, 02:33 AM   #810
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Also agreed. I can accept that the mother died, but the presentation was awful. The lack of time spent on Tracy and Ted, their daughter's flippant remark, never seeing Tracy truly being a part of the gang. No chance for the audience to grieve. Just quick, quick, quick...and throwing away Barney and Robin after building to the wedding for so long. It was ridiculous.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote