Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 5 2014, 06:20 PM   #736
Chilli
Commodore

Re: How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Photoman15 wrote: View Post
And it is pretty cool that Lyndsy and David kept the ending to themselves for 7 or so years.
That's what NDAs are for.
Also, producers have been known to shoot 2+ radically different versions of key scenes, without telling anyone which one's the real one. So anyone wanting to violate an NDA wouldn't know which version to leak to the press. For all we know, there's footage of those kids out there supporting a radically different ending.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 06:53 PM   #737
Marten
Captain

There must have been several endings shot, right? They couldn't possibly know they could make this ending happen back in season 2, when the kid scenes were filmed.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 09:04 PM   #738
Aldo
Admiral

Bays and Thomas have came out and said that was the only scene with the kids that was shot for the series finale.
Old April 5 2014, 09:33 PM   #739
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
Bays and Thomas have came out and said that was the only scene with the kids that was shot for the series finale.
Which is a huge mistake.

CBS must be pissed, they were hoping for magic to strike twice with the spinoff type of thing. The ratings won't be as high now that they pissed off a lot of the fan base.
Old April 5 2014, 10:26 PM   #740
C_Miller
Captain

Marten wrote: View Post
There must have been several endings shot, right? They couldn't possibly know they could make this ending happen back in season 2, when the kid scenes were filmed.
Arguably that's why there's a lot of backlash. In fairness all the kids said that Mom had been dead for six years and that he was in love with Aunt Robin. It didn't really say anything about the story... in fact it probably works out better if it was done at the end of Season 2 or so.

When you go back and look at Season 1 and 2, the show looks like it could easily go in the Robin direction. It's just about how Ted wants to settle down. The mother isn't especially established as a one true love for Ted, just someone who is the mother of his children.

However the show is entirely different now that it was then. I actually see a shift beginning in Season Three, but doesn't fully develop until the fourth season. When you look at the show at the start, it's about Ted looking to settle down and get married. We know he gets married to the kid's mother in the future, but we know next to nothing about her. There's really no reason to believe that she's his soulmate or one true love. The only references to "I never would have met your mother if such and such didn't happen" could easily be interpreted as for the sake of his children. That's why this ending works there. Because as of now, Robin is seen as that one true love for Ted.

However, once "No Tomorrow" happens they introduce the idea of destiny to the fold where they begin trading the Yellow Umbrella. Still he's getting over Robin at the time, so there's still time to have this work as an ending, but once the end of Season Four comes around, it just doesn't anymore. The last few episodes of Season Four ("The Three Days Rule" "Right Place, Right Time" "As Fast as She Can" and "The Leap") all paint the Mother as Ted's soulmate. And that is the story the run with for the rest of the series. Especially in Double Date and Girls Vs. Suits.

And congruently to that, they make Robin less and less of Ted's soulmate. There are too many false starts and times where they give it a try and it just never works. That's why we say the series outgrew the ending and what the writers wanted no longer fit the narrative demands. I fully admit that there was a time where I wanted Ted and Robin together, but nine years later, that's no longer where the show was.

And don't give me anything about how we're not supposed to see that Ted and Robin are meant to be together and how it's just an example of Ted finally being open to other possibilities after the death of the love of his life. The swell of the music (hell read the lyrics) and the Blue French Horn show that ultimately the story was about how Ted and Robin are destined to be together. That's why it doesn't sit well with me. That may have been the story that they were telling early on, but I was in High School when the show started and now I'm two years out of college. A lot can change in that time and this show was one of those things.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 10:38 PM   #741
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post
Which is a huge mistake.

CBS must be pissed, they were hoping for magic to strike twice with the spinoff type of thing. The ratings won't be as high now that they pissed off a lot of the fan base.
But maybe the new show of Cristin Milioti gets a nice boost!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/12/ho...a-jones-pilot/
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 10:48 PM   #742
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I would have loved an alternate where the kids urge him to have an affair with Aunt Lily or gay up with Uncle Barney.

(Polygamy might have just been approved in Congress and they all get married?)

I wonder if Alyson is going to have a guest spot on Grimm with her husband?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 11:17 PM   #743
Mr Light
Admiral

One thing I always thought was really interesting about the show was that Ted and Lily were always 100% platonic. Yet she met him at the same time she met Marshall. I always thought that was really cool. Nice to see some fidelity. And Ted was really close with her too, and they spent time alone together, and it was never weird.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5 2014, 11:24 PM   #744
urbandefault
Captain

Mr Light wrote: View Post
One thing I always thought was really interesting about the show was that Ted and Lily were always 100% platonic. Yet she met him at the same time she met Marshall. I always thought that was really cool. Nice to see some fidelity. And Ted was really close with her too, and they spent time alone together, and it was never weird.
I don't think that's weird at all. I hung out with a lot of people where there was no sexual tension. Some of my best friends from school were girls that I never dated, and some that I did date for a while. Just because there are two people of opposite sexes in a room, it doesn't mean that they are attracted to each other.
Old April 6 2014, 12:00 AM   #745
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

urbandefault wrote: View Post
I don't think that's weird at all. I hung out with a lot of people where there was no sexual tension. Some of my best friends from school were girls that I never dated, and some that I did date for a while. Just because there are two people of opposite sexes in a room, it doesn't mean that they are attracted to each other.
Might not be weird in real life. But it's weird in a sitcom.
Old April 6 2014, 12:09 AM   #746
C_Miller
Captain

I've maintained that the Ted/Lily relationship was often the most underrated relationships on the show. It was always so much more than just his best friend's wife and I often thought that Lily was the only one of the gang to truly understand Ted.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 12:11 AM   #747
Mr Light
Admiral

<<Might not be weird in real life. But it's weird in a sitcom. >>
Exactly! It flew in the face of rom-com sit-com convention!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 12:20 AM   #748
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Ted spent two decades thinking that he made out with Lily at a party, before he was eventually corrected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_I_Met_Everyone_Else

Old April 6 2014, 01:12 AM   #749
urbandefault
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Ted spent two decades thinking that he made out with Lily at a party, before he was eventually corrected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_I_Met_Everyone_Else
Yes, and Lily covertly sabotaged several of Ted's relationships.

All in the (subtextual) hope that Ted and Robin would end up together.

Looking back, the mother's death was foreshadowed in the episode with Ted and Tracy in the coffee shop. It was the scene where she told Ted to never stop telling his stories.

"What kind of mother would miss her own daughter's wedding?"

I didn't get that the first time I saw it, but it screams at me now.
Old April 6 2014, 01:19 AM   #750
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Subliminal. Liminal. Superliminal.

That was superliminal.

Sometimes Lily was sabotaging Ted because she and Marshall had an ongoing bet about Ted's future. Winning the bet, and what's best for Ted might not have always coincided.